Post-TKR Exercising

Posted , 61 users are following.

Preface

I'm doing this post because I keep writing the same stuff over and over again on the subject of exercise.  So here it all is in one place.

Why Exercise?

Simply because:

1. Your quads and glutes have atrophied from months of non-use.  Ever see someone's bicep after an 8-week cast is removed for a broken arm?  Budduh...soft as budduh... {as we pronounce it in Brooklyn}  You have to rebuild the strength in your quads, glutes and core...period...no choice...accept it.2. And why exercise?  You do this to take pressure off your knee.  Right now, all the work in your leg is being done by your knee without any supporting musculature.  You must rebuild all that strength to take that pressure off the new joint.

3. And this is not short-term!  You have to stay strong the rest of your life.  Going up and down stairs takes leg strength.  You need to get that back.  And you certainly don't want to walk with a limp or a cane the rest of your life.  You need that leg strength.

4. And, no...you don't get this from PT.  Those sessions are short-term and designed to get your 0 / +120 ROM back.  After that, you're on your own.

5. Finally, this takes work...hard work and a commitment to your overall health and well-being.  It doesn't happen overnight; it will probably take up most of your first year post-TKR.  It usually starts when you finish PT and are recovered enough to start some serious exercise...S  L  O  W  L  Y  !!!

Credentials

I'll be having my 28th operation in 17 years in March 2017...another one on my spine.  Two shoulder rehabs, four knee scopes, artificial hip, back fusion, TKR...I've been through it all.  

But this is not about my veracity in giving advice on post-TKR exercise, it's about FREE recommendations from a true expert personal trainer, my daughter Kate.  Consider:

- Graduate nutritionist from Rutgers University (anatomy, physiology, biology, chemistry)

- Certified by the American College of Sports Medicine (two-year study and examination program, the "gold standard" in Trainer certifications)

- Certified by the American Council on Exercise (16 multi-disciplinary credentials such as spinning, kick-boxing, yoga, water aerobics and more)

- Graduate Assistant, Rutgers University, Department of Nutrition, (2000-2001)

- Personal Trainer for the Rutgers University men's NCAA basketball team (2001-2002)

- Corporate Personal Trainer, Medifit, 2003-2010 (Personal Trainer, Site Manager, Program Director)

- Corporate Personal Trainer, PlusOne Fitness, 2010-2013 (Personal Trainer and General Manager/Program Director of five corporate fitness centers for Bank of America, Dallas, TX)

- Mother, Breast Cancer Survivor, 2013-present

By any account, Kate knows this stuff cold...for the past 16+ years.  If you don't believe in what she's advising you, go try and find a more accomplished expert...you won't.  (...and I'm not just saying that because she's my daughter...).  PS: Post-cancer...she's 5'1" tall, back to a size 1 with 3-4% body fat at 122 pounds (solid muscle) and kicks P90X's butt!!!  And all of this with a compression fracture of L1 and a missing coccyx, removed after she fractured it slipping and falling while squatting 310 pounds years ago.  Did not stop her at all.

Recommendations

- Warm up on a bike for 30-45 minutes (set the seat high enough for full leg extension...hey, you have your ROM back so now use it).  You can do a very slow treadmill but you cannot go fast enough to cause any impact on the knee. The bike or an elliptical is better for the warm-up.  Zero impact.

- Then do your stretches. Before anything else...S  T  R  E  T  C  H  !!!  Get down on the mat.

- Once warmed up and stretched, start your exercises that specifically strengthen the quads (leg presses, curls, squats, abductor and adductor for inner thighs), calves (toe raises, calf press, balance board), hips (hip lift, hip lunge) and glutes (leg pull, kickback, flutter kicks).  Stretch out the hamstrings.  

- For all your exercises, start with NO weight but perform 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps each until you are at ease with every exercise and are not tired out by them.  (NOTE: If you can't do that many to start, do what you can and build up to it.)  More reps, no weight...you must build endurance before strength.

- Use your good leg to stabilize yourself during the exercise...don't use the good one to fake the reps.  The idea is to get the bad leg as strong as the good one before you fully exercise them together again.  You can even isolate the bad leg for the exercise (good one on the floor) but this could be tough at the beginning.  

- Once you can't tell one leg from the other (feeling balanced and not relying on the good one), start adding weight...slowly....like 5 pounds at a time, again using the good leg to stabilize yourself.  

- Alternatively, use exercise bands around your ankle.  Face the bar and pull straight back to work your glutes (unless your gym has a machine for that).  No weight and minimum (10# or 20# band) to start.  A set of bands and elastic ropes with handles at home are great to use too.  There are YouTube videos on leg exercises using the bands.

- Any pain, strain or swelling means you did too much too fast.  Back off...you'll eventually have equal strength in both legs.  

- Finish your workout with more bike or walking...take time to cool down.  

BIG NOTE: You are NOT to do this every day.  You NEVER work the same muscle group two days in a row.  The exercise breaks down muscle; the rest day allows your body to rebuild it stronger.  So, if you don't want to take a day off, use the odd day to work core and upper body.  Total health.  Lose weight, eat healthy, eliminate artificial sweeteners, hydrate, chart your progress, stay focused.

Conclusion

This is your life and your choice.  You can sit back, relax and limp the rest of your life or get a good part of that life back.  No, you will not do any high impact sports or exercises again, but there is always cutthroat shuffleboard.  You will never get your old life back but you can live THIS life to the fullest!

"Never give up. Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

19 likes, 130 replies

130 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Many thanks for all the advice which sounds logical. My son keeps telling me the same that it takes time and commitment to rebuild muscle strength so aim for one step at a time. This I will now have more determination to do, thanks to you.

Good luck with your post op recovery. You are amazingly positive so sure will do well.

• Posted

Chico I wonder if you could give me some advise please. I’m working on the stabilising exercises at present I’m 130 bend -4 still straightening; also working on stretching ham string, I now have tendornitis in other knee. Any advise appreciated. 
    • Posted

I got stuck at -4 for weeks and weeks.  Took a lot of work to break through.  Try #3...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

It's a KILLER...just gravity...that's it.  Have a pillow to scream into.

When I had my hip done in '09, I'd get some bursitis from time to time.  Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is a GREAT topical anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.  Use it a few times a day, especially at night.  Came in very handy recovering from the knee.

You may also want to consider WHY you're having pain in the other knee (very common to have all sorts of "other" pain)...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/other-pain-after-a-tkr-641040

We shift our gait and cause other problems...very common.  You're putting a lot of pressure on the other knee. You may want to consider a cane plus the topical to relieve that pressure for a short time until the other knee is pain free again.

• Posted

Hello Mr Marx what exercises do you recommend to get my ROM back after TKR. I am 52 yrs old had my surgery in February and a manipulation in April any suggestions will greatly be appreciated.
  • Posted

Your advice is taken: been wondering why my - otherwise successful - 2nd op is not as good as my first op. I must now get on with something resembling your regime to get rid of the restrictive stiffness in my new knee, and in my other knee which seems to have stiffened in protest from having to take more of the load. Thanks CM!
    • Posted

That seems to be very common...that the two knees are different.  Lots of posts on here about that.  It seems that very few people have the exact same experience on both knees.
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing a valuable post and rich information about TKR exercising. Regular exercising is suggested to restore strength and mobility to your knee and gradual return to everyday activities are important for your full recovery after knee replacement.
    • Posted

Unavoidable to put that post together.  My daughter, the Pro, helped a lot.  Good to have resources...
  • Posted

Good day chico..

After 9 weeks i was very worried about my right knee.. swellind and not straight..

After registering with this group i got confidence and realized that i still have some time to go. I am 11 weeks now after tkr right knee.

I am 47 years old and love playing soccer. My Dr. told me that i will be able to play after 1 year.. what do you think?

Also i live in a remote east african city with no PT available but have availability to gym.

I am able to do 2 to 3 times a week but still doing the same exercise i was given post 6 weeks tkr operation.

Below i copy paste some advice for exercise from your replys but dont understand the meaning if you can send me pictures for these exercise and any recommendations for exercise post 11weeks..

Thanks

• Posted

Took me to 12 weeks to get to -1...straightened out to zero once I did a lot more exercising.  Some people take longer...you just have to keep at it.  Swelling is normal and it will lessen over time.  However if you really push the knee too far on any given day, it will make the swelling worse.  Back off...know your limits...increase gradually.

Personally, I don't think soccer is in your future as running is one of the major no-no's after a knee replacement.  Puts waaaay too much pressure on the metal knee.  When I had my hip replaced in '09, I asked the doc if I could go back to playing hockey.  He said "Sure...but then the hip will last 3 years instead of 25."  Same rule applies.  Competitive sports and any running/jogging are out.  I believe your doc is wrong on this.

Go to YouTube and search for the different exercises (ex: leg press).  There are plenty of instructional videos out there.  Stay strong!!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi I’m a new patient to this blog.

I’m 3 months Post TKR on left knee.  Just signed up for more rehab. Havent had any since when they came to my house for couple of weeks after surgery. Been walking without any props. For a month or so . Doing laps in my pool  for rehab .

Problem is I don’t understand why I’m having more pain now on left side of my knee that I only had a little of and then went away.  Also how long  will it be before I can sleep over 3 or 4 hours at a time.at a time. I get up and ice at least once if not twice each night.  Is this normal?

• Posted

Do you have your 0 / +120 ROM back?  That's ALWAYS #1.  Have you started the muscle rebuild above?

Just know that 3 months is very early...a full recovery takes a year.  Count on it...own it.  Try to push the knee too far and it will bite you back.  Lap swimming is probably not the best thing you can do right now.  Doing your rehab exercises in water is GREAT!!!  However, you may be putting too much stress on the knee right now.  There are threads on the Forum about not doing the breaststroke for a long while because of the knee motion required.

Remember that your quads, glutes and core are atrophied.  You need to rebuild that muscle strength or else the body bypasses them and puts all the pressure on the new knee causing more pain.  This is very common in people who try to skip the muscle rebuild.  When all of that musculature is back to normal, all the pressure goes back to them and not the knee...or the other knee...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/other-pain-after-a-tkr-641040

This is a slow, gradual recovery and it is controlled by the knee...not you.  My guess is the knee is trying to tell you something.  I would listen.

• Posted

I am now 8 months post tkr. I Am a swimmer and am getting stronger everyday. I did try the dolphin kick this past week. Although there wasn’t any pain I was a swollen basketball for 3 days so won’t be doing that kick for a while. I am doing Pilates/TRX for strength in legs ,core etc. and it is helping immensely. Especially lunges which I am doing slowly smile and lots of core. Since I can’t run I am working on power walking. I am

Not fast since my quads are not where they should be yet but I am doing a 15 minute mile.  My knee still swells but recovers. I am

Up to 7 miles hiking in the mountains. The arthritic pain is totally gone! And am just going thru the post surgery ups and downs.   I have a knot on the top of my knee where the quad meets the knee and am doing a lot of massaging.  They’re not kidding when they say this is a one year journey.  I keep reminding myself that every single day. 

• Posted

Instead of speed and/or distance, count your steps using a fit bit or other pedometer.  It's a much more accurate way to avoid "balloon knee".  Keep track of your daily steps and chart them...both should be included in the software for your phone or computer.  At 5 weeks, I did 8,200+ steps and paid dearly for the idiocy of it.  Never made the same mistake.  By 8 months, I was doing 11,000+ steps (~ 5 miles) with zero pain or swelling.

Just remember that the knee controls your recovery.  Push it too far any given day and it will swell on you, setting you back.  Don't do that.  Your mind and expectations are irrelevant...the knee controls all and will heal in its own time.  Gradual increases...it's not a race.  If you constantly find your knee causing you issues, you're doing too much.  Listen to your knee...

• Posted

Thank you for and the others in answering my email.  Need to do more muscle building in my thigh.  Just want to stop pain on left side of left knee with every step I take.  It’s a little swollen on that side too. 
    • Posted

Remember that without the rebuilt musculature, the new knee takes all the daily pressure.  That needs to be shifted back to the muscles where it belongs.  Not going to happen at 3 months post-op.  It takes a while to rebuild all that strength...gradually.  Endurance before strength.  High reps, low weight...then gradually add weight for strength.  This all comes from my daughter who's been doing this for 18 years.  It will take you a good 6-9 months to do the rebuild correctly.  At 14 months, I was climbing stairs two at a time without holding onto anything.

The pain and swelling subside over time because: 1. the post-op swelling naturally takes a long time to resolve; and 2. the muscles will replace the knee as you rebuild your strength eliminating that source of pain.  Time, work and patience...your toolbox.

• Posted

Thank you Chico for your feedback.  

Think I might have overdone it with the swimming that probably  irritated it. 

Been low key over wknd with little exercise but now seeking out PT from my general practitioner who specializes in  gerontology . My surgeon  wrote a prescription for it last week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.