Post turp worry after having IDC for nearly 3 years.

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi i'm 69 &  had acute urine retention due to BPH.

the urologist said it would be unlightly that my bladder would function properly again but suggested i have turp procedure anyway.

i had a foley permanently for over 2 1/2 years & although i was spared uti's the cath regularly blocked so much so that i become obcessed with checking the leg bag every 15 minutes or so - strangely it always blocked between 2 & 4am & i had to endure the excuciating pain sometimes for 2 hours until the DN saved me.

fast forwarding to now - i had the turp last sept &

thankfully (a gross understatement) i've had no probs.

i just can't believe my luck.

however, now every time i go to the bathroom i get really stressed out in case i can't go & to be honest it's all i continually  think about..

surely this cannot be normal?

cheers

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

May I offer what I think is a complete solution ?

Ask your Orologist to demonstrate to you and practice you in the simple technique of self-catheterisation, using something like speedicath 12fr standard one-time, superbly lubricated catheters.

You should be able to pass a catheter and drain your own bladder, feeling barely anything. Then you obtain a pack of 30 and keep them by you.

What this means to you is it would completely remove the anxiety you currently have, that at any time you may again have acute retention. With catheters available, you would always know that if it did ever happen, you could always empty your bladder completely painlessly in 20 seconds.

This would, over probably a few months in which you never actually DID need to self-cath, bring you to a realisation that there really is nothing to worry about.

• Posted

gbball - thanks for your suggestion & i fully appreciate where your coming from.

as i mentioned i had a idc for nearly 3 years & it tortured me.

i know it sounds silly but it's not the retention that worries me rather the thought of the catheter.

perhaps i need to get a good hobby or a dog instead of wallowing in self-pity

cheers.

• Posted

Absolutely BEST Solution to this situation !! I have nothing else to offer and I hope all who follow this thread take this suggestion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.