Post-UFE ....coming to terms with all that is happening inside me.

Posted , 7 users are following.

After struggling with fibroids for over 10 years, I finally decided 3 months ago to get the UFE done.  Before, I delve into my experience with the procedure, I want to talk a little bit about my journey.  I had an absolutely useless OB/GYN who didn't offer the UFE as an option, but almost exclusively pushed having a hysterectomy.  She prolonged my condition by using watchful waiting which is nuts.  She put me on Lysteda and that is after I got really mad because I was bleeding so much. She would have me do an ultrasound every year, but that was it.  When I said I wanted to get rid of them, she would say my only option was to have a hysterectomy.  I was firm and said I wasn't going to have that done.

So, in August 2017, I did some research on my own and found a lot of literature on UFE and set out to get it done.  This stupid OB/GYN kept stalling and sent me to another stupid OB/GYN who only wanted to convince me to have the hysterectomy.  I told both I wasn't going to even consider it until I had tried the UFE.

I then contacted the IR department, went for my MRI and got an appointment for the procedure.  MRI revealed that I had very large fibroids that had overtaken my enter uterus.  I gasp when I saw my film.  I was almost in tears, when my IR said it was okay and that he would get them all taken care of.  

UFE Journey:

Procedure went very well. But once I was off the epidural, that's when all things hit the fan.  I was in great pain.  So much pain.  I was constipated and very uncomfortable. They gave me more pain pills, but they weren't helping and that was because the pain was gas pain from being so constipated.  I couldn't eat that whole day after the procedure.  I was in agonizing pain that I had never felt before.  I cried until I couldn't cry anymore.  The nurses weren't helpful.  They seemed irritated that I couldn't manage my own pain.  My IR and his team came by but they too seemed perplexed as to the degree of my pain.  I felt so alone, but God was with me as one of the night nurses came on and got me some laxative and enema.  I still couldn't go but I was letting out gas, so my pain started to subside.  For the first time I was able to sleep after the procedure. 

By the next morning, I was relatively pain free. I was discharged with instructions and medications.  I went home and went on a long walk very slowly, and then I had my first bowl movement by the third day I felt so much better.  Luckily I took two weeks off, so that enabled me to rest and recover some more.  For the next week or so I experience no pain.  I went back to work after my two weeks and felt good.

First Month:

Hardly had a period and there was no pain just occasional discharge as expected as the firbroids started to dislodge.  I felt energized....no more anemia and I could sleep very well at night.

Second Month:  

Had my first real period and that's when things changed.  I started having more cramps ...really painful cramps and got back on my ibuprofen (600mg).  My period was not as heavy as I have experienced before UFE, but it was more than the previous month.  I didn't panic as I was advised this would happen. I got to know when to expect the pain and take my meds before it became too much.  Even with the pain, I still felt better off because I didn't need to take the Lysteda cause I wasn't bleeding like before and I could control the pain.  But discharging the fibroids was another thing.  I would have severe cramps then pieces of one would discharge.  It has been going on all month into my third month.

Third month:

Little or no bleeding, just discharging of fibroids and more cramping.  At times the cramping gets very painful, but this usually happens at night.  I control it by taking an ibuprofen.    Other than this, I am doing very well.  My stomach is shrinking and my clothes are fitting so much better unlike before UFE.

I just wonder how long will the discharging of the fibroids continue.  I see my IR for a post-op follow-up in February.  

It has been a journey and I am very happy that I chose the UFE as I see my life getting back to normal.  I recommend it for anyone who wants an alternative to the other recommended procedures.  In hindsight, I should have had it done years ago, but I trusted my OB/GYN and I regret that I did.  Many of these OBs don't present UFE as a viable option because they want to perform hysterectomies.  I never went back to my OB.......  

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you (and others) so much for your responses. Two years ago I was hospitalized overnight for hemorrhaging. My OB found an 11cm fibroid, and went straight to the hysterectomy route. I refused and just dealt with my crazy heavy periods. She was a bit p***y with me. Fast forward to this last October, and my new family doctor thought something seemed off about me and ordered all sorts of tests (my appointment had been made for asthma). I received a frantic phone call the next morning ordering me to the ER for a blood transfusion. My doctor was furious that my OB had not ordered any iron or hemoglobin tests since my hospital stay. As she continues to push for a hysterectomy, I now feel that after research of my own, and this thread, I can confidently leave her and have this procedure instead. I'm so done with feeling sick.

• Posted

Hi Irishbarc,

Happy you didn't just go with hysterectomy.  These OBs are nuts.....how do you have a patient with fibroids which renders them to being anemic and you don't routinely check their hemoglobin???  I was seeing mine every year, and not once did she order blood test.  I was feeling so awful.  I would walk a few steps and be out of breath with my heart beating very fast.  They sent me to a cardiologist for a stress test and she was like your heart is fine and healthy, but are you anemic?  And I told her I my must be because I have fibroids.  She said okay you have to have your blood tested.  I did and found it to be 4.  I could have died.  I had blood transfusion and instantly I felt better.  All of my symptoms disappeared.  From then on I took matters into my own hands and got iron pills.  

Listen, I am on my fourth month after UFE and boy do I feel like a brand new woman.  I am super thankful that I took this route.  Sure in the beginning right after the procedure was rough, but the reward now is so beautiful.  Can't wait to get back being super active like I have always been.  My stomach that was so bloated and huge has shrunk so much so that I am wearing all of my beautiful clothes that I couldn't wear prior to having the UFE.

• Posted

Yep. I too was at a level 4. I thought I was just terribly out of shape. I'm scared, yet excited to get this procedure done.

• Posted

hThank you for sharing your story which is my journey as well hit and miss by a few very important things I WISHHH!! i had a hospital stay loll i had the UFE done "OUTPATIENT" If only i knew is all i can say. It was the most painful thing and i liken it only to labor pains as i have 3 grown daughters i had back to back when i was 18 So you see i am having this issue in my middle years. I never had any fertility issues and in fact i had my tubes tied and burned after my last daughter because 3 children at that young age was not socially acceptable in those years. BACK to my UFE unlike your story i had a great OBGYN who recommended me right away. I paced the floor the days after this surgery trying to stay out the emergency room and when i called the clinic no help at all just reminding me the narcotics they gave me could only be take for 2 days i was so mad. I finally found a mixture of ibuprofen and midol non caffeinated that allowed me to sleep enough to get up the next day and do it all again i prayed so much. Now im experiencing low cramps on my day 12 and found your story that gives me the REAL information and now i expect to go thru this instead of having a nurse say its different for all women maybe but the pain is the SAME. Thanks soooo much for sharing your story just know its a blessing ❤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.