Post Viral Fatigue

Posted , 7 users are following.

Morning Everyone,

I couldn't find another PVFS thread, so just started a new one.

Well, what a journey I have been on in the last few years...PVFS is crazy!!

So a little bit about me: 25 year old male, who has been in good health up until recently. I was an incredibly active, hard working University student - and then boom. I was ill.

So, I'll take you back a little bit, because this has been going on for years...

At the end of April this year, I began feeling very tired and run down. Nothing unexpected tbh - I was nearing the end of an incredibly long and challenging 7 year architecture degree, and with exams only 4 weeks away, this was not out of the ordinary. I started having random bouts of anxiety and stress - once again nothing out of the ordinary for a student - exams were fast approaching! Around this time I got a flu like bug - my glands all swelled up in my neck, I had a ridiculously sore throat, Post Nasal Drip, was sick, had a fever, headaches, sore eyes, light sensitivity etc... you name it, I had it!

These symptoms lasted for about a week initially, then got a little better, but as I was in the middle of my exam period, I tried to get back to normal asap. I knew that I wasn't 100% though, as just after this, I was constantly tired. I was sleeping at mid day, and then at about 6pm, working in between just to replenish my body. Exams came and went, and I got my masters degree with distinction. I thought I had got through the rough patch, and was now ready to take some time off, before starting work - something I was and still am looking forward to.

After my exams, the fatigue didn't shift - in fact it began to get worse. All the symptoms started to return, headaches everyday, constant debilitating anxiety, nausea and sickness, post nasal drip, heart palpatations, dizziness, light sensitivity- but above all fatigue!! About this time, I started getting really anxious when going anywhere, it seemed so much effort to do anything, and tbh that scared the sh*t out of me. There was one time I was cooking dinner and I came so close to passing out.

Now I am a little bit of a hypochondriac, so I started googling symptoms - big mistake...

I began fuelling ideas that this was stress, anxiety and depression. So I went to the GP, and stupidly said "I am suffering from constant anxiety" I got the usual reaction of "Destress, go running, do yoga, eat well etc." Problem was I was so tired to do any of that!

It was at this point the doctor advised that I went onto a very low level anti-depressant (Citralopram 10mg) and enroll in some CBT - which tbh was incredibly helpful. But the symptoms were still there and getting worse. I was being sick every morning, and jsut incredibly knackered. I started a nasal spray over this time to help the post nasal drip.

Within weeks of starting I knew this wasn't a mood disorder, just manifested itself in some ways as one. I returned to the GP, explained everything to him again in great detail, and he finally agreed to give me blood tests.

Blood tests were generic: Thyroid function, glucose and vitamin levels etc and they all came back fine. It was at this point he agreed that this was likely viral in nature, and due to when the virus hit I was now suffering PVFS.

I am getting better, but frustrated as hell. I am trying to get rid of the idea that I am sick, and treating this as a holiday. It is really my first down time in years (I know, its probably the root cause!) so I am trying to enjoy it. But it is hard.

When will this pass!? It's a pain in the backside, and I feel I am missing out on a lot of stuff I want to be doing as a 25 year old!

I have had a bout of PVFS before I believe, after Labyrinthitis (4 months off work) and after a chest infection last year (About 6 weeks) but nothing in comparison to what it's like now.

I do retain hope that it will completely go, as I am trending upwards.

Current symptoms:

Post Nasal Drip

Fatigue

Seemingly getting every virus going about atm

Sinus/ Ear pain

Muscle Pain/ Joint Pain (After strenuous stuff)

Some disrupted sleep.

Any advice would be awesome!

Jordan.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks for posting, Jordan. Your symptoms are remarkably similar to my own...the first noticeable symptom I had was ear pain/sensation of blocked ears and when that is gone I know I will be close to recovery. I would say you need to try to accept this illness and give yourself lots of time to rest - which might mean doing nothing - that is tremendously difficult when you have been used to being super busy and it is hard to sit back and watch the rest of the world go by. It took me several years after diagnosis to do this, but it did help me improve markedly and I feel like I am definitely getting there. But you do need to make changes in your way of living to get there, in my experience.

• Posted

hey thanks for the response!

yeah i accepted that a while back. Rest is important. Need to sit back and not do an awful lot for a while!

Jordan

• Posted

You got it! One thing I find useful if I don't feel great is to try and find a quiet spot fir 10 minutes and just get comfy and shut my eyes and try to quieten down my mind/thoughts. But that's taken me a while to be able to do.

• Posted

Hi Jordan,

I have cfs/me , not pvfs but, they're the same symptoms and need the same care. A change in habit is important.

Firstly -fantastic re: getting your exams done! That is an achievement to be proud of and doubly so when you are this ill. Now is the time to be really gentle on yourself. Eat the best you can, do things in small amounts and rest inbetween. It's super boring but, helps recovery I believe. Also, ask for help. Like you, only a few days ago I thought I would pass out making dinner. I have four children who are mostly adults (youngest is 16 in a few weeks) I was a very active mum etc before this and it took time and a drop in my pride to ask them for help but, I have to. So, in the making dinner scenario , my son- who is around your age, had to help me. I had to then go lay down to recover. I would have been better asking him to just make the food but, we seem to forget when we have fatigue issues that we're not helping by pushing ourselves and when we have pushed ourselves don't notice until it's too late and feel really ill again- such as feeling like passing out.

The anxiety is your body also telling you you are doing too much. calmly tell yourself this and look for relaxation that doesn't involve activity. Tv and video games are activity.

I would say that you definitely have to see it as a temporary state and get as much rest and pacing in as possible. It's easy to over do things and you have to be tough on yourself to refrain from things that take your energy.

I have a friend who seems to have pvf at present after a nasty virus and I am telling them to rest as much as possible too.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverley,

Thank you so much for your response! I have moved back in with my parents for a while til I am better - it has made a big difference so far.

I know it's a temporary state, just got to ride it out - and enjoy the peace and relaxation as much as I can. Out walking every day, not too far, but enough to get the legs going.

Avoiding screens as much as I can, spent a lot of time reading away!

Rest is key!

Thanks,

Jordan!

• Posted

Hi Jordan,

That sounds good and I hope it helps.

You definitely sound like you have got it with the resting!

Beverley

• Posted

yes i do a walk every day sometimes its only short but yes gets legs moving ...

• Posted

so sorry youre going through all of this at such a young age ... it must be awful . you did get your degree so thats a big accomplishment! it just takes time healthy eating and lots of rest.

keep in touch with your dr and keep

having random blood tests to see where the virus is at . i do know it takes a lonnnng time to heal which is a pain in the ass!!!

• Posted

Hey, thanks so much for the reply!

Healthy eating and lots of rest is the plan for a while. I might ask for another blood test soon, as Im not sure they looked at the possibility of glandular fever!

It is frustrating that it takes time, but I'm going to try and enjoy this rest period as much as I can. It's been a while since i've had an extended break!

Jordan.

• Posted

thats a great attitude jordan and its about all you can do to get better. the resting does get old after a while but its whats needed in order to get better. so take things slowly and youll get there.

• Posted

hi

I had PVFS. it started a year ago i also had a sensation of blocked ears for months.. ENT said everything is normal. i think mine started with a weird virus that left me extremely weak. the night the virus hit i was so disoriented and scared and anxious i cant describe it because it didnt feel like a regular flu or cold.

anyways i was super weak for about 4 months. on and off being bed bound and house bound, then i slowly improved and was able to go get groceries, then i was able to drive a longer distance etc. but at my worst my husband had to feed me and drive me to doctors 4 mins away!

i noticed a bigger improvement after 6 months. after 6 months i was able to gradually begin returning to work (2 days / week start for several weeks).

today i am working full time on my feet all day then cooking and cleaning. i still get an occasional bad day but life has resumed, which i was so scared that it never would when i was sick at home like you.

rest rest rest... thats all i did to get better. reduce mental stress, try accupuncture.

• Posted

just so inspirational as thats one thing we're all worried about .... when will we get better ????

so glad you have your life back im sure you appreciate being healthy so much more now and one thing is FOR SURE....we'll never forget this time in our lives!

• Edited

Afternoon everyone,

I thought i'd give you a wee update of where I am this week. This forum has been relatively theraputic to me, so this might become a regular thing!

Well, it's official - I graduated on Monday! It was an incredibly great day, however I was so nervous in the morning before hand - not about the ceremony or anything, but I was worried that i wouldn't cope with the day, or crash at a bad point. However, I am thankful to say that didn't happen. I was knackered by the end of the day, but it was a good tired if that makes sense? Slept like a log that night!

Now, I was expecting a reaction from this. I knew the fatigue was in the post. I started to hit me about wednesday, just felt lethargic doing general things, and by Friday it was full blown. But I decided to not let it stop me from doing anything. I had plans on friday, and just accepted that I would be knackered thoughout them. And I was, but still managed to go for a really long walk in the country and release some endorphins. As you can imagine, I slept a lot last night, and feel tired today.

I am noticing that with the fatigue comes a lower mood, but hey, it could be worse. Going to spend this weekend chilling out, and eating some good food.

Hope you're all doing well.

Much love,

Jordan.

• Posted

Thank you for this thread Jordan. I came here looking for answers. I've just recovered from two weeks of retching stomach acids and not eating. The doctor thought it was viral gastroenteritis. I say 'recovered' but the fact is that though I started eating again at the start of the third week, I still have some gastric symptoms. Plus this extreme tiredness a month on. Some days are better than others. One day I can drive to a local store and shop. The next day that same activity will leave me feeling exhausted, wobbly and unwell. I have to pace myself and each day is full of little goals - like taking a shower or vacuuming just one room. If I do a little too much one day, I pay for it the next.

I had a general blood test which didn't find anything. So I feel a fraud due to the lack of obvious causes. I am not stressed or depressed other than through not being able to get on with things. The only thing I can come up with is post viral fatigue syndrome and from what I have read, there doesn't seem to be a magic bullet to fix it.

Fortunately I am retired. Something like this must be a nightmare for anyone in work or with a family to care for. Good luck to us all!

• Posted

Hey Chris,

Really sorry it has taken me so long to respond, but I can empathize with everything you are saying, a lot of it strikes home with me.

I think the most frustrating thing about this PVFS is exactly that - some activities go fine, then a few days later they are absolutely draining. Don't despair, it does pass and things get easier.

I had the same with the general blood tests, but don't let that make you feel guilty - they don't pick up everything, and really they are only there to check for something more sinister or to see if you're lacking in anything. Don't always pick up viruses or their causes.

There's no quick fix, but remain in a positive attitude, it feels like it will never go away, but it will. Perspective is a great thing - when I feel a little low and under the weather I look at how far I have improved - I have a long way to go but the progress is there.

As for myself, I have crashed a little bit over the last few weeks, but that's no doubt down to some reccurent sinus problems, a cold, and over doing it when I am feeling better! It's the festive season, so anychance I get i'm out with friends...

Stay strong, it will get better! Treat it like a well earned break! I have always thought that PVFS was telling me to slow down a bit, and take a break, so that is what I am doing!

Take care,

Jordan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.