Post Viral Fatigue

Posted , 7 users are following.

Morning Everyone,

I couldn't find another PVFS thread, so just started a new one.

Well, what a journey I have been on in the last few years...PVFS is crazy!!

So a little bit about me: 25 year old male, who has been in good health up until recently. I was an incredibly active, hard working University student - and then boom. I was ill.

So, I'll take you back a little bit, because this has been going on for years...

At the end of April this year, I began feeling very tired and run down. Nothing unexpected tbh - I was nearing the end of an incredibly long and challenging 7 year architecture degree, and with exams only 4 weeks away, this was not out of the ordinary. I started having random bouts of anxiety and stress - once again nothing out of the ordinary for a student - exams were fast approaching! Around this time I got a flu like bug - my glands all swelled up in my neck, I had a ridiculously sore throat, Post Nasal Drip, was sick, had a fever, headaches, sore eyes, light sensitivity etc... you name it, I had it!

These symptoms lasted for about a week initially, then got a little better, but as I was in the middle of my exam period, I tried to get back to normal asap. I knew that I wasn't 100% though, as just after this, I was constantly tired. I was sleeping at mid day, and then at about 6pm, working in between just to replenish my body. Exams came and went, and I got my masters degree with distinction. I thought I had got through the rough patch, and was now ready to take some time off, before starting work - something I was and still am looking forward to.

After my exams, the fatigue didn't shift - in fact it began to get worse. All the symptoms started to return, headaches everyday, constant debilitating anxiety, nausea and sickness, post nasal drip, heart palpatations, dizziness, light sensitivity- but above all fatigue!! About this time, I started getting really anxious when going anywhere, it seemed so much effort to do anything, and tbh that scared the sh*t out of me. There was one time I was cooking dinner and I came so close to passing out.

Now I am a little bit of a hypochondriac, so I started googling symptoms - big mistake...

I began fuelling ideas that this was stress, anxiety and depression. So I went to the GP, and stupidly said "I am suffering from constant anxiety" I got the usual reaction of "Destress, go running, do yoga, eat well etc." Problem was I was so tired to do any of that!

It was at this point the doctor advised that I went onto a very low level anti-depressant (Citralopram 10mg) and enroll in some CBT - which tbh was incredibly helpful. But the symptoms were still there and getting worse. I was being sick every morning, and jsut incredibly knackered. I started a nasal spray over this time to help the post nasal drip.

Within weeks of starting I knew this wasn't a mood disorder, just manifested itself in some ways as one. I returned to the GP, explained everything to him again in great detail, and he finally agreed to give me blood tests.

Blood tests were generic: Thyroid function, glucose and vitamin levels etc and they all came back fine. It was at this point he agreed that this was likely viral in nature, and due to when the virus hit I was now suffering PVFS.

I am getting better, but frustrated as hell. I am trying to get rid of the idea that I am sick, and treating this as a holiday. It is really my first down time in years (I know, its probably the root cause!) so I am trying to enjoy it. But it is hard.

When will this pass!? It's a pain in the backside, and I feel I am missing out on a lot of stuff I want to be doing as a 25 year old!

I have had a bout of PVFS before I believe, after Labyrinthitis (4 months off work) and after a chest infection last year (About 6 weeks) but nothing in comparison to what it's like now.

I do retain hope that it will completely go, as I am trending upwards.

Current symptoms:

Post Nasal Drip

Fatigue

Seemingly getting every virus going about atm

Sinus/ Ear pain

Muscle Pain/ Joint Pain (After strenuous stuff)

Some disrupted sleep.

Any advice would be awesome!

Jordan.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Jordan,

Congratulations on your graduation. You have been incredibly strong. Keep fighting and everything is going to be ok.

My personal advice to you would be to take vitamins and supplements to boost your health. Especially natural products do not have any negative side effects on your kidneys or liver. I personally use some and its been great for me. I would be glad to share more info

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.