Posterior repair

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I am 2 weeks post op from posterior & perineium repair. One week after the op I developed an infection (really foul smelling discharge) which resulted in me beig readmitted to hospital. 9days in with 2 lots of strong antibiotics and I still have a green slimy discharge. Surely this isn't normal is it?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Judia, I'm quite sure this isn't normal, and I'm SO sorry it's happened to you.  I've not actually heard of it happening to anyone before, but I so hope this infection is sorted out soon.  Are you still under the care of the surgeon or GP or what?  I think you need to make sure they are aware that you still have this discharge and keep you on antibiotics until it's sorted.
    • Posted

Hi Chris, I am still taking antibiotics and have been back to see the consultants registar today. She wasn't too concerned about the discharge as it isn't foul smelling and said it should clear up. She has requested a scan for me though. She also cut away some loose stitches from my perineium. I'm exhausted all the time and look really washed out (even with make-up on).
    • Posted

Well you have been through a major op Judia, so that would explain why you're exhausted.  It's important that you have periods of rest during the day and give your body time to heal.  Since you're still on antibiotics and under the consultant, I'd hope this would clear up, but if you're still concerned that it's there when you fnishe the antibiotics I'd suggest phoning the surgeon's office and leaving a message with the secretary if you can't talk to the surgeon, and say that you're worried and they should be able to reassure you.  But two weeks after the op is a very short time and you do need to rest to give your body a chance to pick up again.  I'm just trying to remember what I read when I had my surgery and I think it was that the body is 80% healed in 6 months, so it's a slow process, and the anaesthetic too will have taken it out of you somewhat.
    • Posted

I am resting plenty. My husband makes sure of that. I didn't see it as a major op & I thought the anaesthetic would've worn off by now. I'm just worrying about the discharge & can't help but wonder if something more sinister is going off.
    • Posted

Judia, I know exactly what you mean about not thinking of it as a major op.  I really understand that aspect.  When I had my anterior repair along with the hysterectomy and was told 'you've had double major surgery' I was a bit surprised because I imagined the repair bit a sort of 'tacked on' effort.  I saw what Matron wrote and she is absolutely right - she's so knoweldgeable and wise.  I saw that you've got a phone number for the hospital to phone if you're worried, so feel free to phone it.  I hate to think of you sitting their anxious.  If you're still really worried in the morning, and not feeling any better, I'd suggest phoning around 8 am and then you might catch one of the doctors there, doing their rounds, or they can ask one of them, when they come in, to give you a ring.  I'm sure you'll feel so much better with a bit of reassurance, so that might be the best idea?
    • Posted

Do let us know how you are, won't you Judia.  Hope you're feeling much better soon!
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that Julie! What do the doctors say? I'm 2 weeks today , from surgery also and get to see doctor tomorrow about my progress. Hope the meds start working for you soon!! Stay uplifted!!
    • Posted

Glad to hear you've not had any complications. I'll try and stay uplifted.
  • Posted

Hello judia no this isn't normal and extremely rare. In many years of nursing I can count on one hand how many women have had such a nasty infection. Did the hospital staff tell you which bug it was that caused the infection? This is important as to try and determine how you got the infection in the first place. I am so sorry this has happened and I hope you feel much better very soon.
    • Posted

Hi, no they sent blood tests and swabs. Told me I had an infection but not what it was. Antibiotics are Metronidazole (400mg) & Cefalexin (500mg) both taken 3 times a day. I have been taking these since 25th October and finish the course on Friday. I thought the antibiotics would have cured the infection by now.
    • Posted

Well you've got some strong antibiotics there and I would have thought you would have seen some improvement. What is the plan when you've actually finished them, do you have to see the doctor?
    • Posted

They are sending me an appointment through for a week tomorrow and if I have any problems in between then to telephone the ward at the hospital.

• Posted

That's good and make sure you do.
    • Posted

Hi judia I have been to see gynae today without an appt and they saw me in their outpatients I am 4weeks post op from a bowel repair and hysterectomy !i had a pale green discharge and the consultant has put me on the same antibiotics as you,have you had any side effects from them I was told they're horrid hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Hi Alison, I've had no side effects from them. Make sure you avoid alcohol though as it can make you really ill whilst on these tablets.
    • Posted

The Metronidazole in particular alison is a strong antibiotic. No alcohol either liquid or in food for the duration of the course plus 3 days after the course is finished. Not even a sip. That's because Metronidazole contains the same ingredient as a drug given to alcoholics who want or need to stop drinking.
    • Posted

I'm so glad you mentioned about the drinking (or NOT drinking, should I say) with Metronidazole.  I was on it once and we went to a food tasting where they also had some wine tasting and I refused it but husband said just try a sip.  Oh boy!  I was SO ill.  I nearly passed out!  Never again!
    • Posted

That happened to a friend of mine. She thought one sip would be ok. She lived to regret it. We also forget that it's in food as well. 
    • Posted

Don't know how true it is but I was told that I couldn't use alcohol wash gel. Also alcohol was allowed 24 hours after I had finished the course, is this not the case?
    • Posted

Matron do you have any idea what could have caused this infection? I know I was pumped with antibiotics during surgery. Thanks

• Posted

I've just double checked in my pharmacology book and on an online drugs website (for doctors and nurses) when I read your post and they both say 3 days. Does the information in the box say anything?
    • Posted

I haven't read that, will look now though.
    • Posted

It's difficult to say and that's why I asked if you had any idea of the bug that caused it? The other thing how long were you in hospital for? 
    • Posted

And don't forget mouthwash!  Some of those contain alcohol:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.