posterior Repair - Update

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my operation some 9 weeks ago now and had followed everything that I was told to do to aid my recovery, keeping hydrated, going for short walks and then increasing these over the weeks, gentle cycling and swimming and resting.  8 weeks down the line I developed pain in my left leg but thought that I probably had overdone the exercise and so ignored it and just carried on! 2 days later I couldn't put my foot to the ground - I recognised this symptom from some years before when I had a DVT following a long haul flight - so booked myself an urgent appointment with my GP.  My GP agreed with me and put me onto Apixaban immediately and did an initial blood test.  Later that day it was confirmed to be a significantly high reading.  I've attended hospital where I was scanned, blood tested again etc., resulting in a definite diagnosis and am now to continue on Apixaban for the next 3 months when the hospital will see me again.

I had returned to work on a phased back to work basis part time and only managed 2 mornings when this all happened.  I am now back off of work at home resting my leg until the pain and swelling goes! It's so frustrating up until this point my recovery had gone quite well just the usual worries, pains and setbacks that everyone seems to have experienced.  I am am still trying to recover from the surgery and now the DVT - not being able to do any exercise at all grrr! 

Throughout all of this I must say that it is so important to listen to your bodies and only you know when you feel something is not quite right and never be afraid to get help and advice.

Hoping that  all you lovely ladies are doing well on your journeys to recovery.

Annette 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Annette you poor thing. How long were you advises to keep your stockings on? I'm 4weeks post op and was told 6 weeks. But I still worry about developing dvt. Hope you are pain free soon and get back to work without any more problems.

But have to say well done to your gp for not fobbing you off and getting you treated ASAP. So many people go untreated and auffer tragically. Xx

• Posted

Thank you. I was told to wear my stockings if I wanted too and felt that I needed to - it was all a bit woolly to be honest.  The hospital said that once back at home I would be more mobile and active so probably would not need to wear them.  I did however continue wearing them at night for a few weeks.   I thought that I would need to wear them again now that I have a DVT but the hospital have said not as they restrict the blood flow!! 

My GP was good and acted quickly thank goodness 😊. X

• Posted

Hi Annette,

So sorry to hear of your set back especially as things were going so well.

Really surprised that you have had DVT problem in later weeks, especially when you have followed advice and built up regular walks etc.

Never had this problem before but due to go on holiday around 16 week post op, flight around five and a half hours, so reckon I will have to wear my post op knee highs then, we must still be at risk then even after all these weeks!

I do hope the pain and swelling goes down quickly for you .

Healing hugs, look after yourself,

Phyk x💖

• Posted

Oh what a giant shame. You poor girl. I do think you will be in the rather rare group who have an increased tendency towards DVT. Especially as you weren't laying around excessively for a long period post-op. Is your blood particularly thick as in high red blood cell count? I came back from theatre with this cool machine attached to end of bed and legs fully wrapped in some padded gadget which constantly expanded and contracted alternating around zones on my legs. Heated also. That was on till day after op. I didn't even bring home the stockings and was up and about all day from 2nd day home. I now know most seem to just blob in bed or on couch with legs up for 6wks but didn't know that until 4wks on. I just thought if you feel grand & energetic, then get moving. I only did light duties and not long walks or hoovering. It seems that you had great level of activity but just have a great tendency to DVT. What did your Urogynae advice pre-op with the knowledge that you already had one from a flight previously?
    • Posted

I had the same gadgets on my legs after op Robyn. But I was still told to keep stockings on for up to 6 weeks.
    • Posted

Hi Robyn, I had the cool machine on my legs too and also had Clexane injections every day whilst in hospital.  All precautions were taken due to my history of suffering with a DVT before!  I like you felt reasonably well and so started going for walks as soon as possible on my return to home I had even started cycling 3 to 6 miles a day as well as a short walk but have still got a DVT.  Just  incredibly unlucky I guess !  Hopefully this is a temporary glitch and if nothing else I am very determined to feel better soon 😊
    • Posted

Annette what oo did you have. Just with you cycling 3-6 miles so soon afterwards.
    • Posted

Annette how could you stand sitting on the seat so soon after posterior repair? Was it not painful? I could hardly dot upright for any length of time until 4/5 weeks!

X

• Posted

Omg I can barely wipe myself with discomfort. I too am a cyclist and keen to get back on it but know it will be a long time before I can even think about it never mind do it. Brave girl.
    • Posted

I was the same , in fact wiped that harsh that I spot bled. So won't be on bike for while yet!

I think they generally sat 12 weeks or more before attempting low impact with exception of swimming.

I did not start cycling last time until well past 12 weeks, can't remember just how long but waited till I seen my phisio and had some intensive physio lessons, waited until she said my pelvic floor exercises were strong enough; anyhow it was too uncomfortable on the seat.

Didn't have posterior repair last time , so will take even longer this time. Got a stubborn stitch at posterior end that causes discomfort when on feet too long, will see what consultant says when I see her appointment on 23 may

Phyk x☺

• Posted

My difficult stitch is on my perineum. So wiping is so tender. This is the stitch that my gp wanted cut but I said no co I didn't know whether it would be healed enough. I need to ring hospital and ask consultant.
    • Posted

My stitch was there to , or rather the end of a stitch , it drove me nuts, irritating me it was really sore, blasted it when in the shower and rubbed some germaline around that area to soften it.

Had some spot bleeding from there every now and again (think I was rubbing too hard after toilet) and was a bit nippy .

Has finally healed but feel like the perineum area is thin and weak. Time will tell I suppose.

Matron will be able to suggest a suitable cream for that area!

Phyl x☺

• Posted

The germolene had anesthetic effect!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.