posterior Repair - Update

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my operation some 9 weeks ago now and had followed everything that I was told to do to aid my recovery, keeping hydrated, going for short walks and then increasing these over the weeks, gentle cycling and swimming and resting.  8 weeks down the line I developed pain in my left leg but thought that I probably had overdone the exercise and so ignored it and just carried on! 2 days later I couldn't put my foot to the ground - I recognised this symptom from some years before when I had a DVT following a long haul flight - so booked myself an urgent appointment with my GP.  My GP agreed with me and put me onto Apixaban immediately and did an initial blood test.  Later that day it was confirmed to be a significantly high reading.  I've attended hospital where I was scanned, blood tested again etc., resulting in a definite diagnosis and am now to continue on Apixaban for the next 3 months when the hospital will see me again.

I had returned to work on a phased back to work basis part time and only managed 2 mornings when this all happened.  I am now back off of work at home resting my leg until the pain and swelling goes! It's so frustrating up until this point my recovery had gone quite well just the usual worries, pains and setbacks that everyone seems to have experienced.  I am am still trying to recover from the surgery and now the DVT - not being able to do any exercise at all grrr! 

Throughout all of this I must say that it is so important to listen to your bodies and only you know when you feel something is not quite right and never be afraid to get help and advice.

Hoping that  all you lovely ladies are doing well on your journeys to recovery.

Annette 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How very annoying for you. Seems everything was done to prevent DVT & certainly seems wouldn't be from lying around. You must just be prone to them no matter what. Get better soon x
  • Posted

Hi everyone and thank you for all your messages and kind wishes and thoughts.

My recovery was going very well and at my 6 week check up my surgeon told me that walking, swimming and cycling so long as I was comfortable would be a good exercises to do as they were low impact on the pelvic floor.  I have a very comfortable bike with good suspension and I only cycled on the flat (strongly advised not to ride up hills!).  I was also told not to ride my road bike as the angle was not advisable!

Best wishes to you all

Annette 😊

• Posted

Your doing great Annette!

I went for my 2nd walk of today and then did some shopping. Left house at 7.45pm and got back around 9.45pm.

By the time I was almost finished shopping could hardly walk, and journey home in car was throbbing and nippy needle link pains down below.

Due back at work a week on Sunday, will have to be able to withstand 2/3 hours on feet and 2/3 hours sitting and packing at the checkout, so trying my best to push myself a little more than usual.

So desperate to get on with things now and be able to do everything I'm use to doing. Too impatient now that I can see the light at the end of the long tunnel I want to run!

Anyhow home now and feet up, stiffening up but none the worse for ware!

Good luck with the cycling, wish it were me; we have lovely toe paths along the canal banks that are great for cycling. Hardly got out last autumn because of excessive rain. So hoping this 'September onwards' will be much nicer this year!

Phyl x☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.