Posterior vs. Anterior would you do the same surgery again?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi all,

New to this site. I am 57 and in need of a THR. I am interested in which procedure you had and if you are happy with results, or wish you had done the other. I live an active lifestyle and am not overweight.

Thanks!

Kristen

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You are correct of course taking the first is key. Don't back off now. Unless you live in a fairly large centre ( exception the US), it is hard to get a surgeon trained and experienced in the anterior. And the training and experience are the number one predictor of success.

I had posterior for both hips and I wouldn't trade my surgeon for Anyone!

When I first met him, I asked how many thr'so he had done he gave me a big smile (I see you've done your homework). I've done 150 and knees are my specialty. But more important - my patients are all happy.

Don't compromise Kristen.

Best luck and don't keep us hanging, be sure to let us know how you do.

PS - if it means travelling out of your town to do it, I wouldn't personally. The 5 kilometre ride home and 5 stairs into the house were tough enough.

• Posted

Linda,

Those are many good points to consider. We have a total of 13 stairs and I am up and down the 20 -30 times per day. It's going to take a bit of coordination and organization to plan to be "sans" stairs or 1-2 times per day.

I have the top 5 of my orthopedic surgeons to consider from over 25! A lot of talent, but I do want to make certain I have the right one.

I will keep you updated after I meet with the surgeon next week.

A happy, hippy weekend day to all,

Kristen

• Posted

Hello!
    • Posted

Hello AGAIN!!  I pressed the key too soon the last time!  I have just had an anterior approach hip replacement and I cannot believe how easy it all was.After looking after someone with the other method I thought I knew what to expect.Well I was very pleasantly surprised.Op on monday,walking on Tuesday,home on Wednesday.The worst pain wasthe lower backpain due to lying flat for 14 hours after the epidural.After that hardly anything.Walking with a frame for 5days but then found myself putting feet down and first and the frame down last!There IS a 1cm difference(operated leg 1cm longer than the other),,,my surgeon says that will right itself...time will tell. From the second week I was able to cook,put the washer on,make the bed etc.I live on my own so I needed a good neighbour to bring me shopping and for the first week help me with putting the elastic stocking on the operated leg...now.2 weeks on I can do it myself.I had borrowed a toilet seat but don't need it,had put anther mattress on my bed but have taken it off. Came out of hospital in my friend's car and sat easily in the ordinary seat.I honestly can't believe how easy it has all been.Had it done in Greece so no advice on leaving hospital(due to the situation in this country we were lucky to have PILLOW CASES ,never mind luxuries like post op advice!!)so I don'tknow when I will walk normally again but I feel am doing really well....getting around the house and verandah fairly comfortably,albeit with a limp still butit'sonly 2 weeks today that I had my surgery. Hope you are as lucky as me.GOOD LUCK. x

• Posted

Don't worry about the stairs. I was, but there's no need to be. I was out on day 2, and I think it was only the first few days that felt awkward. After that it was fine. As everyone else has said , more important to have an experienced surgeon, who knows what he's doing. I live in London, mine was great. Good luck.

• Posted

Judith is right - stairs worry us all, but remember you take them one at a time, and you have a handrail to help you up and a crutch/stick/cane too.

Graham

• Posted

This forum is made great by all of you and your quick responses of knowledge and support.

Thanks Graham!

• Posted

(And I forgot to say, that the physios teach you how to do it hospital, so really no worries.)
  • Posted

Hi there.  I had a posterior/lateral minimal invasive approach (small scar on side of hip) with a ceramic cup and high cross-grain polyethylene stem.  It was cementless proceedure, using a bone-growth lattice and a bone-growth "encourager".  Full weight-bearing immediately.  I am now 6.5weeks post op and delighted - back to lots of dog-walking and most other activities.  Still can't put my sock on the operated leg, but can pick stuff up off the floor now, sleep on my side (with pillow) etc.  Delighted with the whole thing actually!!!

• Posted

I have the scar on the side of my hip, my replacement was put through as urgent, so I missed some detail on the type I was having.  From the descriptions online, Im still unsure on the procedure type I had.

The inability to put on socks and tie shoes, is now probably the most annoying aspect for me.  I feel I am mostly back to normal, although I don't yet have the stamina I had before.

Have you just seen your consultant, or are you still to have your six week appointment?  and are you now allowed to walk without crutches?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.