postmenopausal bleed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 51 and not had a period for nearly 3 years. Last week I had all the symptoms leading up to a period and now I'm bleeding. My Dr examined me and said she couldn't see or feel anything wrong and thinks that I am just having a period. Do why have I now got to go for a scan. I'm so worried. Thanks for listening. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lynda

I was in a similar position to you back in September.  I had a period (and the usual feelings/ gripes/ pains) for the first time in 3.5 years, and have been on HRT for 3 years.  I visited my GP, just in case and was thinking that this was a really silly thing to bother her with, but she said I needed to see a consultant within 2 weeks.  Then I really did get worried!   The consultant did an internal investigation, then sent me for an internal and external ultrasound which I'm pleased to say found nothing out of the ordinary.

My consultant said that he thought it was just a hormonal glitch, and not to get worried unless I started bleeding on another occasion.  So I hope that the investigations you have put your mind at rest as well!  Out of interest, and I'm not sure if anyone else has ever had this issue, the period started about 10 days after I'd started using one of those electro-stimulation bands that you can use to improve your abdominal muscles.  My consultant said that he thought there was no link between using the band and having a period, but I haven't used it since!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.