postural drainage positions for bronchiectasis 70+ male

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am a 70+yr old man of generally good health who now needs to carry out some chest exercises using postural drainage positions to clear phlegm as a result of bronchiectasis.

What if any home made aids can any one recommend to put me easily in the correct position (very polite version!!!) bottom above head.

I appreciate that a pillow under my hips may do the job but as I am just starting these exercises/positions I wish to arrange something that will be permanent; I am concerned a pillow will sink and not always give me the correct slope.

Any.all advice on this matter will be appreciated.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you both about 'not swallowing'

In my ignorance I thought that was the simplest and perhaps even the most hygenic way to do things.

I will take your advice and get a 'spitoon' of some sort.

Thank you again.

• Posted

Quintain,

Re method of disposal, depends how much you bring up as to how you dispose of the gunk. If its not much a tissue is fine. After 55 years of post drainage, I still find the process of disposal unpleasant.  In years to come they might devise some sort of tap at the base of the lungs to turn on when necessary to drain on the go so to speak.

Regards, Gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.