Potential bladder/kidney stones

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey, you might have seen my thread in this section a week ago (https://patient.info/forums/discuss/severe-pain-in-my-lower-abdomen-spreading-to-my-hip-and-the-doctor-is-unable-to-diagnose-it-654157). I will quickly sum it up for those of you who haven´t read it. I have been having a sharp pain in my lower left abdomen, that spreads to my hip, my back and upwards from my hip ending near the start of my rib cage for the last half a year. The doctor diagnosed it with an inflammation of my abdominal muscles and told me I need to "wait it out" after a hip x-ray and an abdominal ultrasound came out clean. I have been on ibuprofen for 14 days without it getting much better, and am currently on sodium diclofenac for the last 9 days. The thing is, the pills have effect for the first hour or so after I take it (when the painkilling part of the pill works), but the anti-inflammatory part of the pill doesn´t seem to do a thing. Looking up some of my symptoms, I have come to think that my issues and pain may be connected to potential bladder or kidney stones. Apart from the symptoms I have already listed, I also occasionally feel a sort of burn in my penis when urinating. The burn becomes even worse after I actually urinate, and it forces me to urinate more often. The urine is the first reason why I think I could have a potential stone in my bladder or kidneys. When I have the burning sensation, the urine contains small white spots. They aren´t big, look mostly flat and have a clear white colour. As far as I understand, the pains I am experiencing could also be caused by a stone. While these symptoms do indicate a stone, I do have a few doubts. Firstly, shouldn´t the ultrasound of my abdomen be able to show these stones? Secondly, the burning sensation isn´t present every day, sometimes it is a few days in a row, sometimes only once a week, but the pain is always there.

P.S. I do drink a ton of water (2-3L a day) so that shouldn´t be a reason...

What do you guys think? Is there a possibility I have bladder/kidney stones and if there is, how would I go about diagnosing them?

Thank you for any replies!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

An ultrasound would detect kidney or gallstones. This is how your doctor would diagnose them. However, if they are very small, they may not show.  If the ultrasound was clear, either this means you don’t have stones or you do have them but they are too small to detect.  Keep going back to your doctor.  A burning sensation when urinating may indicate a UTI .
    • Posted

The thing is, I don´t think it is a UTI because the burning sensation isn´t consistent, it´s really random and sort of comes and goes... I have come to think of stones since my uncle was recently diagnosed with them, but you are probably right - an ultrasound would detect them. How does one diagnose a UTI though?

• Posted

A dip stick test would show a UTI.   Your uncle having stones doesn’t necessarily mean you have them.
  • Posted

Doctors determined if you have a UTI by taking a sample of your urine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.