Potential triggers of AFib/tachy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone - First a big thank you for this forum, I have learned a tremendous amount about my condition very quickly. I have AFib/tachy and had an ablation in August which seems to have stopped at least some of the symptoms. I still have occasional rapid heartbeat incidents; these happen only at night when reclining/in bed. Sometimes I have trouble getting to sleep - heart feels “different,” pulse not racing but I’m "aware" of my heart beating and worried it will switch into AF mode.

I attribute these ongoing incidents to one or more triggers, so I am trying to identify as many of those as possible (recognizing everyone is different of course).

Here's the list of the triggers I have learned about so far, feel free to add to this list if you have experienced or heard about other triggers:

Stress

Caffeine

Dehydration

Alcohol in general; specifically red wine

Potassium/magnesium deficiency

Preservatives e.g., MSG

Aspartame/Nutrasweet/other artificial sweeteners

Eating too much

Chocolate

Gluten

Cheese

Perhaps this can help us all avoid things that might trigger our own individual incidents.

Many thanks and best wishes from across the pond....

5 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

To defend cardiologists - generally, if one is any good, he or she is too busy to go off the beaten track and look into news things.  My cardiologist has said outright that he'd love to pursue these other things, like histamine intolerances, but he simply does not have time.
    • Posted

Excellent point Frank. My cardiologist is great, but, I firmly believe you have to be the general contractor for your own health, thus, educate yourself and ask a lot of questions.
  • Posted

Oh, and I hate to disappoint all you Brits out there in cyberland, but tea, any tea is off limits when it comes to histamine in the gut.  In fact, any fermented food or drink can cause a histamine accumulation and at a certain threshhold, off goes the afib.

Frank

• Posted

Frank I am a fan of apple cider vinegar, I probably have a tablespoon a day in my morning smoothie, do you think that's enough to cause a problem? Perhaps I should just cut it out.
    • Posted

Vinegar does indeed contribute.  Alone, in the small quantity you are using, and early in the day, there should be no problem.  BUT, there is a cumulative effect, so you have to consider what else you are consuming to increase the quantities of histamine (and tyamines) in your intake. These things accumulate over a period of several hours, so you need to consider what you have been ingesting for 24-36 hours and try to minimize those substances that are histamine rich.
  • Posted

Hi Jeff

Good post !

My main trigger is exertion ,ie, [Sex]..

Coffee,Lagers/Beers, do not affect me at all.

One other trigger for me is eating too much at night, ie, having an big diinner, however i have only had 3 incidents like this whilst at rest. also after an evening meal i do seem to notice the eptopic beats more.

All the AF attacks i have had have all been at night, never had one during the day.

• Posted

Yikes. I am now watching how much I eat and when to avoid the feeling of being too full (have had some incidents which I think were triggered by eating too much late in the day). I wish I knew more about why it happens in the evening only for me. I feel like there is some learning there I could use to change my life and avoid incidents in the future. Thanks for sharing!
    • Posted

One question I have for everyone - are you always lying down when these episodes occur?  I have never had an afib episode start when in a standing position.  I think it has to do with intestinal motility of the triggers, which I guess are accumulated due to slow movement from lying down.
    • Posted

Mine wakes me in the middle of the night, heart racing. Haven't thought about how much I eat prior .
    • Posted

I think how much you eat is a minor consideration; to me its what you eat (and drink) that appears to be important.  As it incubates in your small intestines while lying down, all hell can break loose if concentrations of the perpetrator(s) get too high. For me a few pints of home made draft beer is enough to kick off an episode when I had bread and certain meat for dinner 5-6 hours earlier.  Now I know to avoid draft beer. Lots of histamine in that stuff, and it was one of my favorites!.
    • Posted

Great point Frank. Mine happy when prone as well. I guess one implication is if you consume a trigger stay upright.
    • Posted

Great point from you Jeff.  Unfortunately many of the triggers induce sleep. Hah!
  • Posted

Guys I am doing some research on foods that have histamines or cause histamine release. Will post some links. Feel free to Google in the meantime! Also learning about DAO supplements - apparently they block histamines. Anyone have experience taking DAO supplements?
    • Posted

I do.

A key to DAO supplements, like native DAO, is that alcohol is an inhibitor.  So, if you are drinking when taking a DAO supplement, it might not work.  There are some other inhibitors, and you can find them by google.  These inhibitors might be indirect causes of afib because they inhibit DAO in the small intestine, and certainly not obvious ones.

bty - I have never had an afib episode when I did nmot drink a few beers or glasses of wine that evening.....

Frank 

• Posted

Interesting stuff as usual Frank. Certainly my attacks all come when I am lying down. I'm sure alcohol is one of the culprits. I shall now keep a close eye on other triggers and their relationship with DAO.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.