Potential triggers of AFib/tachy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone - First a big thank you for this forum, I have learned a tremendous amount about my condition very quickly. I have AFib/tachy and had an ablation in August which seems to have stopped at least some of the symptoms. I still have occasional rapid heartbeat incidents; these happen only at night when reclining/in bed. Sometimes I have trouble getting to sleep - heart feels “different,” pulse not racing but I’m "aware" of my heart beating and worried it will switch into AF mode.

I attribute these ongoing incidents to one or more triggers, so I am trying to identify as many of those as possible (recognizing everyone is different of course).

Here's the list of the triggers I have learned about so far, feel free to add to this list if you have experienced or heard about other triggers:

Stress

Caffeine

Dehydration

Alcohol in general; specifically red wine

Potassium/magnesium deficiency

Preservatives e.g., MSG

Aspartame/Nutrasweet/other artificial sweeteners

Eating too much

Chocolate

Gluten

Cheese

Perhaps this can help us all avoid things that might trigger our own individual incidents.

Many thanks and best wishes from across the pond....

5 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Guys

whats is DAO ?

Following whats been said above regarding eating in the evening, I have not had an AF attack laying down..

regarding histamines, i do have a few allergies so my histamines do react quickly even if i step out into the sun light with no shirt on i get hives instantly, so i am now wondering if histamine could be an issue for me..

Also no one in the medical zone has mentioned checking my magnesium Potassium levels 

• Posted

Histamines are chemicals that contain 2 amino groups, so it is referred to as a "diamine".  There are many other diamines but histamine is well known for causing respiratory issues like stuffy nose and congested lungs.  DAO is an enzyme that basically destroys the diamines in histamine making them oxidizied and no longer active to cause problems. 

Most associate histamine with the allergy symptoms in the respiratory tract but high levels of histamine get in the blood and circulate throughout the body, thereby potentially causing problems beyond the repiratory tract,  like in the gut which then can have a ton of adverse effects, including those on the heart rythms.....

DAO in general is underappreciated I think because it is not main stream in medical circles.  However, as the population ages, its importance should be emphasized more with time.

Everyone who is medically educated knows the importance of magnesium but, like histamine its importance is not main stream yet. And that is despite the fact that a ton of work has been done on magnesium and its need to keep hearts in correct rythms, among hundreds of other things (no exageration there)..

One key problem with magnesium today is that most medical professional do NOT measure it correctly when they perform a blood test.

Frank

• Posted

Great point about magnesium, Frank. My cardio mentioned it and has put me on a daily magnesium supplement. He also mentioned potassium, hoping to find out more about that on Thursday when I next see him. I ordered some DAO supplements and will experiment with those. This is definitely a complicated subject, but I am learning a lot quickly and so appreciative of what you and the other forum participants are sharing.
    • Posted

You've got a great cardio.  Everyone should be on a magnewsium supplement.

Here in the US we assumned that we were getting sufficient magnesium through our food, like almonds and spinach, but it appears that the soil is losing magnesium and loss is not accounted for by fertilizing.  Some believe that 80% of Americans are low on magnesium and with time, those numbers are getting worse.....

Afib numbers also are starting to climb.  Is there an association?  Time will tell....

• Posted

Frank

Thanks for the reply !

Where do you get all this information from ?

Cheers

Graham

• Posted

I have been paid to do biomedical research since 1966 and have a PhD in chemistry.  I have taught and mentored a lot of MD's and PhD's. So, I try to stay on top of the current research in my field which is vaccines. However, since I suffered from afib, I, of course, had to take action on my own since it is clear to me that the medical community is not up to snuff on this - not even close.

So, its in my genes to probe deeply into a biomedical issue of interest to me, which happens to be afib right now.

Believe me, sometimes the greatest lessons and questions come from fora such as this, where participants come from all angles and have an ignorance that leads to genius.  I have earned a lot by reading these contributions. Hopefully I can help someone to think a bit - no cures necessarily - but a little thought with educated skepticism can go a long way, especially in dealing with very intellegent physicians.

'Nuf said.

Frankcheesygrin

• Posted

Frank its gopod to have someone like you on here !

this was a personal post to  member "GotAbitbetter" What are yiour thoughts ?

Thanks for the Link..it actually states at the bottom of the page, "High Risk of Bleeding" ie, Ablation Surgery, that Apixaban should be stopped at least 48 hours before...i was told to stop taking it the day before surgery.

No i dont want to see Dr Lee again,i am seeing a Dr Shetty CRM team.

Dr Shetty told me that the ablation was almost complete when things went wrong, so they had completed 3 out of the 4 pulmonary veins. I have not had an AF attack since, but i had not had one for a couple of months prior to the Op'..I dont get AF regular & since the first ablation in 2010, if i have had an attack it has always settled on its own within a couple of hours. hence i dont think my AF is as bad as some others. 

I am not comfortable taking anticoagulants, especially the new one like apixaban, warfrin upsets my stomack too much & also too much hassle, So thinking of stopping the apixaban, & taking High Strengh VitaminE Along with High Strength Omega3..these are know to thin the blood quite well

• Posted

Has anyone thought that some drugs allocated for hypertension might be a cause/ trigger for arrhythmia. I currently take amlodopine alisred as a common side effect is " a quicker or irregular heartbeat ( palpitations)
    • Posted

I've had problems with both  flecinide and Bisoprolol but over time I realised it was the brand not the active ingredient. I changed brands and now everything is fine . 
    • Posted

John I have Flecainide as my "pill in pocket" solution in the event I have a tachycardia that won't stop by itself. I haven't used it yet. I'm interested to learn that there could be a difference between brands of Flecainide. What brand are you now able to safely use? Many thanks again for your contribution! 
    • Posted

The brand name of the flecainide that agrees with me is Actavis. I have random episodes of Af each episode lasts around 8 hours and I have been on a daily dose flecainide  for the last 15 years . Once a month I collect my meds from the same  pharmacy . Over a few years I realised that when the pharmacy would  change the flecainide to a different  brand I would experience palpitations and other months on a different  brand I would be fine . 

I mentioned this to my doctor but  he refused to accept this . So I went to my pharmacy and I asked them to give me the same brand every month of the one that  I didn't experience any palpitations. They agreed and now every month  they give me the same brand of flecainide. I asked the pharmacy is it possible that  I could be having a reaction to the compound as different brands have different ingredients in the compound  (not the active ingredient). The pharmacy agreed and  unlike my doctor  it is possible to have a reaction from one brand to another because even though the active ingredients are the same the compounds are not . I have also had the same problem with Bisoprolol. I now stay on the same brands that I know agree with me but it has taken me many years  to get to this point . 

• Posted

GP's often prescribe the cheaper drugs which is usuaslly a generic brand

i have had simular issues with other medication, there is definately a difference with the generic brands,they may suit some but not others.

Regarding Flecanide a nd being used as "The pill in the pocket"

you really need to try flecanide to see if it suits you, i was put on flecanide first & well before my first ablation, but it made my heart rythm worse, not so much in the sense of making the AF worse, but it sent my heart into a completely different rythm which was just as bad, i also had episodes of almost blacking out whilst on the drug, it can really slow the heart down too much, if you read all side effects on flecanide it shows it can be a dangerous even fatal , 

i stopped taking it & i reverted back to just having the occasional  AF onset.

• Posted

Hi Greebo64 

Felt I had to reply to your comment . I too was put on Flecanide, it made my AF so much worse plus put my heart in a completely different rhythm one I'd never had before. I also felt really ill in myself. I had to be admitted to CCU where they immediately took me off it, saying it had had a bad reaction on my heart and not everyone is suited to this drug. I am now on Bisoprolol as well as Apixaban and am much better. I know Flecanide works well for a lot of people but not everyone. Just wanted everyone to be aware.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.