Potential triggers of AFib/tachy

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone - First a big thank you for this forum, I have learned a tremendous amount about my condition very quickly. I have AFib/tachy and had an ablation in August which seems to have stopped at least some of the symptoms. I still have occasional rapid heartbeat incidents; these happen only at night when reclining/in bed. Sometimes I have trouble getting to sleep - heart feels “different,” pulse not racing but I’m "aware" of my heart beating and worried it will switch into AF mode.

I attribute these ongoing incidents to one or more triggers, so I am trying to identify as many of those as possible (recognizing everyone is different of course).

Here's the list of the triggers I have learned about so far, feel free to add to this list if you have experienced or heard about other triggers:

Stress

Caffeine

Dehydration

Alcohol in general; specifically red wine

Potassium/magnesium deficiency

Preservatives e.g., MSG

Aspartame/Nutrasweet/other artificial sweeteners

Eating too much

Chocolate

Gluten

Cheese

Perhaps this can help us all avoid things that might trigger our own individual incidents.

Many thanks and best wishes from across the pond....

5 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Question. I have read on this post magnesium, vitamin E and omega3 works good as supplements for afib. Would all 3 be safe to take?
    • Posted

Devin - I can answer that one.

Magnesium and vitamin E can be considered to be blood thinners, so it would be best to consult with your doc if you are on a blood thinner.

Personally, I take magnesium, no matter what. You get enough vitamin E through your diet and it has been fiound to have no additional benefit when taken as a supplement.

The jury is out on those omega 3 compounds, but I doubt they would be any help at all for someone suffering from afib.

Definitely magnesium though; it may well be that most with afib are simply magnesium deficient.

Bringing magnesium levels up to the levels they should be at though will not happen overnight - it may take months since the magnesium has to enter cells in the body and offset a lot of the intracellular damage done during the decades of being magnesium deficient.  When a person has been magnesium deficient, calcium has taken its place, and supplemental magnesium has to displace the calcium in the cell - a long slow process.

Frank

• Posted

Thank you Frank. Im not on a blood thinner but just a beta blocker.
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I was wandering if anybody takes a vitamin supplement while on the meds? I've been feeling very weak lately. I don't know if it's due to the AFib that I experience every night at bedtime, or if it's due to my stopping all vitamins. I understand that there are many drug interactions... I am on Eliquis, Tikasyn (anti-arrhythmia and metropolol (beta blocker).

Also, does anybody feel weak? Not necessarily tired, but a weak feeling almost to the point of shakiness as though my blood sugar dropping even though I eat small portions throughout the day.

Looking forward to hearing your experiences. Thanks and be well everyone.

• Posted

Hi Judy I have recently seen my GP with the exact same symptoms, he advised me to take Thiamine every day and also gave me some iron tabs to take for three months. I am feeling lass fatigued, but when I have an AF attack am completely wiped out for at least a day. Don't know if this is any help. Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hi June, thank you so much for responding. I will ask my GP about the thiamine and iron because I'm scheduled for an ablation and I'm worried about not being strong enough for the surgery. Thanks for this info.

• Posted

Its likely your weakness & fatigue is down to the Apixaban [Eliquis] & possbly the beta blocker..you should check the side effects prefgerably online NHS website as this give more info than the leaflet inside the boxes 
    • Posted

Hi Greebo64 thank you so much for that info. I had no idea the Eloquis, blood thinner could be a culprit to my weakness. I will definitely check this out further. Again, thank you!
    • Posted

Hi Judyc,

I'm happy to help ..heres a list from http://www.drugs.com/sfx/apixaban-side-effects.html

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the article that was pasted in full here as it may breach other website's copyright. Please do not paste whole articles in posts. You can add a link to it and this will be approved as long as it complies with rules for posting links. If it doesn't then links can be exchanged via the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.