PPI "cold turkey"

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I had 8 duodenal ulcers, gastritis, duodenitis and esophagitis. After taking PPI I did another endoscopy and it showed that everything is healed. This in a period of 7/8 weeks. The second endoscopy came about because I had become really sick from the PPI(nausea, convulsions, vomiting, ...) After I was told that everything was healed, I did a "cold turkey". The first week was not too bad. Now it is almost 3 weeks further and I have a burning pain in the stomach again, very nauseous. Is this the rebound effect? I took the PPI for a month and a half. Will I ever be healthy again? Swallowing the PPI back is not a solution because they make me extremely ill.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello again

How are you getting on?

I am bad again with diarrhoea and burning stomach pain. Seen new doctor and had blood tests(no result as yet even though marked urgent). I feel nauseous on waking and yesterday was very nearly sick after toast!

I am on Ranitidine twice a day and am told to take Gavison Extdra Advanced as well. not that I have heartburn but do have terrible trapped wind with pain in chest and shoulder. Frightening sometimes but think heart is ok. Some days I feel it might be written on gravestone that "I WAS ILL AFTER ALL BUT NO ONE TOOK ANY NOTICE IN MEDICAL PROFESSION".

I feel a lot of my troubles are down to the drugs I have been on. From steroids for polymalgia which left me with bags of fat at top of legs. I came off these as they werent good for me either. Dr. said I should starve and make the body search for fat and then it would find the bags of fat!

Sorry to sound such a misery but some days get on top of me and its so easy to get depressed when you feel that life is a drag at present.

We WILL recover one day from all horrible drugs we have been told to take!

Shall never touch PPIs again.! Internet research and self medication seem to be the answer.

• Posted

Hello,

A few worse days, like today. The first day that I'm being so nauseous, that I vomited a lot of acid. It drives me crazy. I'm only 30 years old, but it is horrible. Every day I need to fight against this extreme nauseous feeling.

I still refuse to take a PPI. Without or with I'm still sick. With even sicker.

Yes, they don't care about you. I have the same. Doctors are doing nothing, just the advice that I need to take my PPI again or take some anti depressiva pills.

I never went sick in my life, but this is horrible. Some days I think about euthanasia, so difficult it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.