Pramipexole ( help)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hiya guys.. can you help me on any way, or some advice would be great... Iv suffed restless leg now for around a year and half, which drives me mad at nite when I’m trying to sleep or rest, I’m going through the menopause so was putting it down to maybe that, but not sure, I went to see my doc 3 weeks ago and he put me on pramiepxole one aday, they seem to be working great stopping the restless leg, and I’m able to sleep now ( yeah) BUT the dreams I have I don’t like, and I find myself shoulting out in my dreams that wakes me up scared, I live on my own, and wen I wake in the nite I feel as tho some one is in the house or in bed and it scares the hell out of me... Iv lived on my own for 15 years and I love it and never had this prob b4 I started this new med... I’m due to see my doc again wensday and I don’t want to stay on this med as even tho it is working on my restless leg, the dreams and being scared to death as put me off staying on it... does any one have any I dear what I can ask the doc to give me instead ? Or as any one had this problem wen taking this med?? Any help would be great thank you so much big hug 🤗x

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi dawn

I have been described Ropinole for at least 7 years now. I take 3x 1mg between 6pm and 3am. It does the job so long as i take care with diet and alcohol.

I do sometimes feel a little depressed and insecure but cannot establish if this is a direct result of Ropinorole?

Regards

Brian

• Posted

HIya Brian ... you say watch what you drink and eat why is this?? And the one your on don’t give you any paranoia?? It does warm me that it’s possable with the med I’m on but never like this as, I’m on Prozac for depression any way, I don’t mind the dreams it’s the feeling of being scared out my skin wen I wake in the nite, and Iv never in my life had that... but thank you for getting bk to me, I will take this with me to the docs 🤗x

• Posted

HIya Brian ... you say watch what you drink and eat why is this?? And the one your on don’t give you any paranoia?? It does warm me that it’s possable with the med I’m on but never like this as, I’m on Prozac for depression any way, I don’t mind the dreams it’s the feeling of being scared out my skin wen I wake in the nite, and Iv never in my life had that... but thank you for getting bk to me, I will take this with me to the docs 🤗x

• Posted

Another Dopamine Agonist(DA): Ropinorole or Neupro patch or a Gaba: Pregablin or Gabapentin.

Opiates come next, eg Tramadol which are very effective but some GPs are reluctant as they fear addiction which is rare among RLS sufferers. Do your research eg RLS book by Buchfuhrer etc or RLS-UK for drugs and things to avoid (triggers).

Good luck

• Posted

Hi there, Iv read a little on RLS, but I was hoping once menopause stopped it may go away...

I take tramadol every day for pain relief as it is, but that don’t help at all with RLS ... and I’m on Prozac for depression... but thank you for getting back I’m going to right down the different meds and see what my doc says 🤗x

• Posted

Hey Dawn. I feel your pain! Wellbutrin or generic Wellbutrin works on the dopamine receptors in the brain. Therefore it does help some people with restless leg syndrome. I was on it for a while for depression, and I noticed that I was able to reduce my restless leg syndrome medication.
    • Posted

Hiya sue.. thanks for replying, I’m on Prozac for depression, but thats not helping with this RLS 

This med what doc gave me is great for RLS which I’m greatful for, but this may sound stupid but I live on my own, and o have a cat who sleeps on the bed next to me, Iv now got that scared with this med, that one time I will wake up in the middle of the nite and hurt or kill my cat, as when I wake in the nite I could swear blind some one is in my house or worse still on the bed, Iv never in my hole life had this feeling b4... and Iv lived on my own for 15 years now ( I’m 53)  and love being on my own and free to do what I want...

So since starting this med 3 weeks ago I can no longer stand that feeling I get 😩 sorry to go on, and thank you big hug 🤗x

• Posted

Prozac works on the serotonin levels but Wellbutrin works on dopamine and dopamine is related RLS.

Ask your doctor about Wellbutrin. Just as an aside, when I sing my restless leg symptoms subside. However you can't sing and sleep! The functioning in the brain is really amazing.

• Posted

Thanks sue.. I will write it all down and see what he says on wensday 🤗x 

• Posted

hi dawn

if i eat a rich and hearty meal it seems to stop ropinorole working. Perhaps its because the digestive system is taking all the bloodstream to digest food and therefore impacts the RLS symptoms. Regarding drink i haven't come to any conclusions. Sometimes a few beers overcomes RLS and alcohol in general seems to help but i don't want to become an alchoholic!

• Posted

Lol I know what you mean with drink... as for dinners I’m not a big eater and living on my own tend not to bother cooking for myself ..

But thanks any way, going to take your info with me... going to try and not take any more of that med till see doc on wensday as just scares me... they say that on this med you can here or see things that are not there mmmmm lol...

Don’t want to be seen as a crazy woman running the streets in the middle of the nite thinking some one after me 🤣 x

• Posted

Hi Dawn

I have been on pramipexole for a number of years now and have suffered the weird dreams too. If it’s any help that side effect did wear off and I don’t have them any more. For me it was worth putting up with them to stop the RLS but I can understand your concern.  

Rosie

• Posted

Thanks Rosie ... Iv always been one to hang in there and let the side effects go, the dreams I can cope with... it the paranormal I have trouble with, I’m scared I’ll do some thing I will regret, or hurt my cats ( silly I know ) but it’s the way I wake up, shoulting or restless, not from the dream, they are ok, god knows what it is, but the feeling is alfull and scary...

How long are you suppose to give this medicine to settle down ?? It’s great for my RLS and stopped it straight away, which as you would no is great to not have that.. but thank you for your input, and nice to know some one who as taken this med 🤗x

• Posted

Hi Dawn, my RLS got worse with menopause.  Now and even when it was more infrequent I am always able to control it with one or two 25mg capsules of iron bisglycinate an hour before bed on an empty stomach.  Doesn't work for everyone, and you should check with your doctor before taking iron.

What always seems to be lacking in these discussions is an explanation of what the scientific community knows thus far about RLS.  We know that people with RLS have little to no brain iron reserves, even in the face of healthy body reserves of iron.  Scientists also know that people with RLS have small, few and pathetic dopamine receptors which leads to a lousy transport of dopamine (a neurotransmitter) down our spines and to our arms and legs where it "quiets" them.  Scientists aren't quite sure if that lack of brain iron led to those lousy receptors but the bottom line is it seems that our brains cant store any iron and our brains can't seem to really get any from those tightly regulated body stores so we really depend on that free, unbound iron found in the bloodstream.  Iron is the glue or grease that enables dopamine receptors attract and process dopamine.  It is hypothesized that by day, when there is an adequate amount of unbound iron in our bloodstream, we don't generally get symptoms of RLS.  At night, allegedly, the level of unbound iron drops and we get RLS.  The non-RLS world has world class receptors and brain iron reserves that keep that dopamine going to their arms and legs all night long whereas our system for doing this tends to come to a screeching halt. Long story short, by taking some highly bioavailable iron right before bed I am able to stave off the symptoms of RLS.

You should also be aware that there are also substances that can make RLS much worse than it has to be including hormone replacement therapy, certain antacids, anti-depressants, antihistamines, melatonin, metformin, statins, the list is near endless.  And these things down make RLS worse forever it's just that they "antagonize" the release of dopamine usually because they either increase serotonin (which antagonizes dopamine) or they travel along the brains histamine pathway and antagonize the uptake of dopamine - kind of crowd it out.  So you really don't want to take these substances at night if you can avoid it and if they stay in your system for a long time like the anti-depressants then you're out of luck.

The funny thing with all of this is that the above substances which "antagonize" dopamine may in the long run "up-regulate" our pathetic receptors.  You're taking a dopamine "agonist" and agonists are well known to "down-regulate" our already down-regulated receptors.  The agonists kind of whip those receptors into releasing more dopamine and in the process wear them out.  The antagonists of dopamine may do just the opposite.  Many studies have shown that intermittent fasting will up-regulate receptors as well as anaerobic exercise.  Berberine is a dopamine antagonist as well as uridine monophosphate.  Both of these substances are also allegedly natural anti-depressants.  Berberine is the new "it" substance.  It is supposed to lower blood sugar and may even treat cancer.  It's has a long history of safety.  Once again, like any dopamine antagonist, you don't want to take at night because it will temporarily (a few hours) worsen RLS.  But taken in the morning, day after day, it just may up-regulate your receptors enough so that you don't get symptoms at night.  Or intermittent fasting. Always do your own research.

Lastly (finally) do you ever wonder why standing and walking relieves RLS?  It's because when you stand and walk your brain in a nano-second release dopamine to balance you when you stand and coordinate movement when you walk.  Anytime your brain senses imbalance it will release dopamine.  The strangest feeling was when I was standing and leaning while watching a movie and I still had some RLS.  I believe by leaning my brain sensed less imbalance and released less dopamine.

My point with all this is to arm you with knowledge which is very powerful.  And to make us all scientists that will hopefully come up with more answers than we have currently at our disposal.

• Posted

Hi there so very interesting what you have said , and thank you for taking your time to write all of that down, as yes then you do understand how it works... when you see your doc they don’t say a great deal about it, or why Iv got it now,?  or if it will stay with me for life?  They just don’t seem to know... I hate the feeling of RLS it drives me mad at nite with it, and feel like chopping my legs of to just get rid of the feeling, and not being able to keep still. And yes I do get it why it’s so strange that as soon as you get up to walk it goes away, untill your back in bed again 😫 .. I will try any thing to see if it helps, so thank you fir your time 🤗x

• Posted

You are so welcome. Sometimes if I'm driving and I'm waiting on my mirapex to take effect, I find that singing will relieve symptoms. One time as a passenger when I got caught I turned around backwards in the passenger seat and put my knees up in the seat to apply pressure just below the knee caps and that worked. I just alternated between sitting forward and kneeling backwards until the mirapex took effect. The only problem it's a little hard on the knees,but that pain was better than going crazy or driving my husband crazy.

• Posted

Hi sue... how long have you been on your med? And have you had any symptoms from it at the start? But I’m going to ask the doc about diffrent med, or if he won’t give me a chiose of some eles I will have to stick with this one and hope the bad dreams/ scary nites  go away on there own😩... as I can’t stand the RLS at nite, it stops you from sleeping as well, I just want to chop my legs of to get away with the feeling it gives you... I do stretch my legs out that hard it gives me cramp in the end, so have to stop that... I’n the day I can just get up and walk around if it starts, and don’t mind doing that in the day, but as your not sleeping good any way,  you want to just stay in bed, in the hope you will fall asleep... good job I live on my own lol, as could not stand any one in the same bed at the mo, prob end up killing them 😂 ... just wish the bloody thing would go as quick as it came, thank you chic for talking back to me and giving me your throughts on this big hug 🤗xx

• Posted

You're welcome. With your doctor's permission I would try two 25mg capsules an hour before bed on an empty stomach. The best thing is if your doctor could look through your records and see what your "ferritin" level is.  Normal for women is between  20 and 260.   It's a good idea to have ferritin checked now and then especially if u have symptoms of RLS.   Try not to eat a lot at night. I find that if my RLS is just barely there that lying on my side almost on my stomach helps. 

• Posted

I’m hoping my doc will change the meds tomorrow for me 😩 I will ask him about ferritin tomorrow, I’m writing all this down lol... but I feel the doc don’t seem to know much about RLS  but will try and see what he’s says.. thank you 🤗x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.