PRE AND POST SURGERY CONCERNS ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been keeping my foot up as much as possible. I broke my ankle 7-17 -17 and am having surgery 7-27-17. In Ya'lls experience if there is still some swelling will they still do the surgery ? , about how long does the pain last after surgery ? I already have a follow up appointment scheduled 2 weeks after surgery. What happens then ? I am just so dam worried. I have never broken anythingFrom the time of surgery. About how long for some weight baring ?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was worried about being too swollen also but they did my surgery as scheduled. My foot was extremely swollen. I iced as much as I could and elevated my foot constantly. I still had a good bit of swelling/brusing but it was down enough for surgery. They couldn't use the stitches that dissolve because of the swelling. At the two week appointment they looked at the incisions, removed the stitches and gave me a boot. I was told No weight bearing until the next appointment which is five weeks post surgery. My first broken bone too and I about cried when they told me surgery. I just assumed it would be a cast. I understand your anxiety. I was the exact same way. I am hoping to be able to weight bear at the 5/6 week mark. I have my follow up on Monday.

• Posted

Thank you this helps . I have been rescuing cats since 2012 and between my home and the home I inherited I take care of about 12 -14 Cats that I have gotten spayed and nutered. I have my best friend who is 70 years old trying to help me . She goes over to the inherited house every day and feeds the cats , the cats have there own little door that they come in and out of . It is so hard on her . I am more worried about her and the cats than my self . Once I can walk again I plan to sell the house I inherited. I am just having a hell of a time with all this mess. How I broke my ankle. I was on the roof cutting back small limbs. I stood up to push the limbs over the side , my foot slipped, I sat down and my tennis shoe turned on its side with my foot in it. The fire department had to come get me down. My getting on the roof days are over . Thank you so much for responding to me .
    • Posted

My break isn't as interesting a story as yours. I broke mine just missing a step going into my daughters room. Crawled down and waited to go the doctor the next day. The pain was a difficult the first night but stay ahead of it and take them at the specified times because when the block wears off you will need it. I stopped all pain meds the 4th day post surgery. I started having muscle spasms like right before you go to sleep sometimes your body jumps once or twice. It was several times an hour for me and drove me nuts. I have a really low tolerance for pain meds. I haven't had to take anymore but may need to take some when I start therapy. You will need some one with you the first couple of days after surgery. It is a mess giving up our independence. It's great what you are doing for the cats. I have two dogs and it has been difficult attending or their needs. I had a hard time with the crutches. I rented a knee scooter and it gave me some independence back. I don't leave the house much I can't drive ( right foot) and

I am dependent on others. It completely sucks but each day we are all closer to healing. What type of fracture do you have . Mine was broken in three places and dislocated.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. This all really helps you not feel so alone. did buy one of those I walk 2.0 and it works well . You just have to take it off every time you get up and down . I fell off the crutches so I use a Walker to get back and forth to the bathroom and the I walk to get around in the house and out side to the car . I actually use the walker and the I walk 2.0 together when outside. Today I have stayed on the couch most of the day. I am not really sure what kind of break it is . I am so looking forward to the Surgery, so I can be closer to walking . I wish you a speedy recovery and thank you again. It helps me feel less scared.
  • Posted

Well, I'll start by saying everyone is different in recovery but there is a general timeframe. I had surgery done about 4 days after my break and there was swelling still. Pain is subjective but I was fine not continuously using narcotics after my 2-3rd day post op. I used Motrin in between for inflammation and extra pain control. I would recommend to you to request a nerve block if they don't already offer it for the fact that it lasts for a day or so after sx, the most painful time, and just helps with the comfort. It does wear off immediately so plan on premedication about 24 hrs later a few hours before that! I was also offered a pain pump type thing that I declined. It runs out after 3 days but I didn't want to have to have it out and less risk of infection the better. You're going to need to organize for life after surgery and for at least 2 weeks. See about help with housework, order a splint/cast cover from Amazon ($12) to shower with, get groceries, reading materials, good lg ice packs, and anything you can do to be comfortable on the couch. You will require assistance with many things. Swelling still happens frequently with minimal activity but it abates with elevation. You're going to want to live the first week, at least, with toes above the nose. Inflammation slows healing and circulation. Avoid caffeine while bones heal, and ice ice ice. Ice is amazing. I give myself my morning coffee and then mostly drink water. Eat nutritious things, and talk about your frustrations because they will happen. I wouldn't expect you to weight bare for at least 6-8wks and by then your muscles will have atrophied so expect, and request if not offered, a physical therapy consult. This is a game changer unfortunately. I am 4 wks out and NWB still with my next appt being the 8th of Aug., maybe then I can start. As for your 2 week appt, expect a cast off, recast, stitches or staples out (I had disolvables so nothing to take out) and or a walking boot that you probably won't be using to walk but to hold foot in proper placement. I elevate and iced often and Dr was impressed with progress and could tell I was taking care of it. You can premidicate for comfort. Don't shave after cast/splint removal-I cut myself pretty good because of all the dead/soft skin. You'll be tempted. Please use this forum! it's a lifeline I think. It has helped me so much. I had a plate, 4 pins, and a screw placed. I'm a fairly active person and it's hard to be still! You've come to the right place!

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding. I will be referring back to these posts. To help me remember what to do and what to expect . You are right. I already feel better just having people to communicate with that are in a similar situation.

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Susan' sorry to hear about your accident. Chestnut has just about hit the nail. I was waiting for 9 days before my operation due to bad swelling. My consultant told me that there is a window where they have to operate before bones start to do their own thing. I just about came inside that window. He couldn't use dissolvable stitches as swelling was still very bad. Having mine removed. Was hurendus. Three casts down the line, and 8weeks later, I then went into a boot for 4 weeks. While your bedbound or shall I say not moving around much you will have to give yourself injections every night in your belly to stop blood clots. This I found frightening for a week or two even though it didn't really hurt. I had them for about 5 weeksi think? Black blue and yellow belly full of bruises. Now going to physio every week increasing exercise and new homework to carry on with. I'm still in a lot if pain so not able to walk far and still using 1 crutch. Yesterday I managed to shuffle from room to room around the house without using anything but painful. This Friday I have physio and I'm going to ask if she thinks I need another xray because I might not happy with the pain I'm still having while walking. But she has told me that she is very happy with my progress and as my break was very bad (pins and plates both sides) then I will experience pain/discomfort. But this is pain I could put up with discomfort. I wish you luck with your surgery... Then the road to recovery is UP!! GOOD LUCK SX

• Posted

Hi Susan. Did they put your ankle in a cast?  I fractured mine in 2 places on May 27th and was a a soft splint for 3 days, then a cast until the swelling went down. Had surgery just about 10 days later.  Keeping your foot elevated really helps. I had never broken anything before this and as a 68 year old i tried to get the doc to just do a cast because I was afraid of surgery because they said it would be 3 hours long.  I had a local for my leg before general anesthesia and I never felt anything when they were doing the local.  This was done outpatient at my hopital. My recovery nurse told me to take pain medicine before the local wore off so I wouldn't be in pain waiting for the meds to work.  I was pretty much pain free using Oxycodone for 2 days but it made me so sleepy.  The third day I switched to Tylenol 500mg every four hours and by the 4th day I stopped all pain meds.  My leg and foot would swell and turn red so I kept it iced and elevated.  And yes, when I had to lower leg for bathroom or even with it resting on my knee roller it was uncomfortable, but not unbearable.  I found a foam rubber leg rest that really feels good and elevates my leg 2 feet in the air. I went from a cast to a walking boot a week later, but no weight bearing until 3 days ago, 57 days after I slipped on wet, muddy grass on a hill. I've finished 2 physical therapy sessions and actually walked with crutches into my library and grocery store today, but I still can't drive and I had some leg pain and foot swelling tonight because I overdid it.  But nothing horrible.  I started writing in a notebook each day how I felt, all the meds I was taking, how I missed not getting to go outside except for Doctor's appointments. How bored I was, and how just doing simple things like feeding my cats was so labor intensive.  I joke that it took so long to fed them at breakfast they really had brunch.  If you have wood floors or not heavy carpeting I would suggest a knee roller.  Also a shower chair.  Amazon has zillions to choose from that are very reasonable. They also have ice packs that are long and can fold around your ankle. I was terrible using crutches until I could put a little weight on my foot so I got down the stairs to my front door and then outside my two - step landing on my bottom.  Better to be safe than fall again! Also if you are put into a walking boot later, you can purchase a shoe leveler online that fits over your tennis or athletic shoe so it's the same height as your boot . I have a RX for 8 PT sessions because your calf and thigh muscles tend to atrophy a little from non use, making it hard to support your foot when walking. You may be told to start flexing your toes and signing the alphabet with your foot even before therapy though every medical place has different protocols.  I remember thinking that fateful day that my summer was ruined, my work (I sing) was over, and how the heck was I going to be able to handle this, but I did and still do and now just abut 2 months later (I can't beleive it's been that long!) I'm on the other side of recovery and able to do so much more.  Today I went to PT in the morining, then sang at a faciilty in the afternoon, went to libray and grocery store, had dinner with my daughter and her boyfriend, then leaned the kitchen and one bathroom and still have energy close to midnight.  You will get through this.  Just take it day by day.  Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you so much. This really helps . This makes you very grateful for all the things you take for granted. Glad you are doing well.
    • Posted

I'm now 15weeks since fall 14 weeks post op. Out of 3cadtz and boot walking g with 1 crutch most of the time but been told they are expecting me to come off the crutche altogether ASAP. I try to walk around the house without aids but the pain and swelling I'm getting is hurendus. And has reduced me to tears. I have physio tomorrow and going to ask for another xrays coz I feel there is something wrong? 😠. But physio has said she is happy with my recovery and can see good changes every week. But this pain and swelling is worse than the beginning. May be because I'm walking without crutche as much as I can in the house and pushing myself through the pain? This is the most hurendus thing that had happened to me. 15weeks of total hell. 😔 😔 😔 😔

• Posted

Hello Susan

I wrote to you in another discussion.

I broke my ankle lower Tib/Fib and Talus completely dislocated while walking my dog. I broke it June 19th and had surgery June 30th because of the swelling.

The pain after surgery was awful so if you are prescribed pain pills take them. Don't try to extend the time between.

• Posted

Hi Susan!!

I hope your surgery went well today and that you aren't in too much pain. Keep elevating and stay strong! Remember that each day will be a little easier than the day before.

Let us know how you're doing.

Melissa

• Posted

Doing good - They are keeping me Overnight. Had surgery at 700 am it went good. It is 6:30 pm pain block around my ankle is wearing off but higher up is still numb . The gave me pain med. It has not kicked in yet . Thank you so muck for checking on me
    • Posted

Glad you are doing ok! How are you today? Remember to elevate as much as possible and take those pain meds. Rest as much as you can! Hope the pain isn't too bad today! Thinking about you!

• Posted

It is taking 2 Norcos to stop pain. I have not had a bowel movement in 4- 5 days. They are giving me stuff for it but nothing is happening. Other than that things are okay. Thanks for checking on me
    • Posted

I had a horrible problem with that because I also had to take 2 norco every 4hrs. I bought fiber chews (like gummy candies) and took 4 instead of 2 and also got some senna plus colace tabs and took 3-4 of those until I was regular again. Then it was just the chews daily unless I needed the other, I'd take it at night. I had such bad nausea from it I couldn't eat all day once. Keep up on the fruits and veggies and drink lots of water if you ar able. Hang in there.

• Posted

Cons

Constipation!!!  omg it hit me with avengance while taking 2 tabs 4 times a day. Took me days to get it sorted. Not nice. Now have had to increase my meds again because of the pain Imgetting due to trying to walk without aids for 2 days, over done it. But have taken senna every day at morning and night, dont want to go there again. Had tostop my physio today because of the pain. She has given me a compression sock now saying it will help with pain and swelling, no change as yet after having it on for 6 hrs!!  This is so hard!!sad

• Posted

Are you able to take Motrin? I took it in between the norco. Norco doesn't do anything for inflammation. These are the most painful days, I'm sorry to hear that. In a couple days I hope you say to yourself, "wow, I don't need a pain pill yet", or "maybe I'll just take one". Do whatever PT you are able and take care of yourself. I forgot-I took the maximum amount of dulcolax the first time I had an issue 😝, not senna-that was after. I had to pull out the big guns. You will find a happy medium 👌🏻

• Posted

love your way ,hope the Big guns werent to much trouble.......lol..  so funny put a smile on my face... but not nice for you. sad  I woud carry on taking mild laxitives every other day to keep you going once its all sorted. I take laxatives every night and have done for years. Very lazy bowel.... but the meds made me so bad, blocked me up for days.Im taking Zapain pain relief, Im not good with a lot of meds as they make me feel 'spaced out.' and i dont like them. Zapain does the trick but does make me very sleepy. sx

• Posted

Yes everything was A-ok, lol. I take the fiber mostly because the possible dependency worries me but they are necessary at times! What I am noticing now is that my left hip is getting week finally. I try to do leg lifts and anything that might keep it active but I am ready to get on with the weight bearing already. Next appt is the 8th! Hey I tried to friend you in FB but I'm not able so I sent you a message on FB messenger!

• Posted

My hip started to give me trouble, but it soon Eased thank goodness. I haven't had anything. Something did come through one day last week I think it was, but ad I was out of the house I couldn't pick up any WiFi. By the time I tried again it had disappeared?? Try again Sandra Nurden. Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.