Pre diabetes worry

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi peeps,been up all night worrying, unsettled itchy feet and health anxiety going through the roof...

So last week I was called back into the doctors, my heart went through the roof,  I have been told that I am in the pre diabetes range, and my score chart was 46, he told me that I was 2 points away from 48 which is type 2 diabetes... I’m a huge worrier, I drinks beer so I know I need to cut that out.... I’m 36 year old mail approx 14 stone with a bit of a flabby belly...

My question is how rapidly can this progress to point 48 and what can I do to prevent it.... 

Please any help is appreciated.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It can progress fast but you can also counteract fast.  Don’t wait.  If you address this right away you might be able to knock it back before it really sets in.  I wish I had acted faster.

Cut carbs immediately (shoot for 50-75 total carbs per day),  lose weight, and start some form of exercise if you don’t do so already.  

It’s also a good idea to test yourself in the morning as well as before & after meals.  That will tell you how you are doing and your overall trend.

• Posted

Yes cut carbs. You can stop it before it happens. Make sure you eat stuff with iron in it though or your iron will go down.
  • Posted

Thank you guys wasn’t what I wanted to hear but I need the truth, my doctor said is every two years I’m tested and seems to have a patten, I’m worried my life style will get the better of me I work on the road, hiatus hernia really bad so prevents me from working out until I get this sorted I feel lost 
    • Posted

You don't have to over exert yourself. But walking 30 minutes a day will help and with low card you lose weight too. When I was pre diabetic I I lowered my carbs and work out. Lost 25 lbs. You can do it.

• Posted

This is 100% correct you just need to start somewhere.  I have lost 65 lbs since January 2018 and I started slow.  Cutting carbs and walking/running had a huge and rapid impact.  I've been a gym guy for years anyway so that has not changed except that I now use lower weights when lifting.

• Posted

Cut out the beer its like liquid bread they say.Also No bread potatoes rice pasta and ofcourse sugar. Its hard but it is your health that will benefit. Try to exercise a bit too and I hope you manage to avoid becoming type 2.
  • Posted

You need to change your diet asap. I went from pre to type 2 in a month. I sort of knew that I was heading that way as I was thirsty and going to the loo often. I have had myopic shift which made everything in front of me blurry and I had to get emergency glasses. The optician said it was temporary and she was right it lasted just over 2 months. I have had leg ulcers and managed to heal them too. Its a dreadful thing diabetes but it is easy to reverse. You just have to decide to put your health first. I wish you all the very best and hope you take your health very seriously.
    • Posted

Hi thank you,  so sorry to hear this, are you saying you went straight to type 2 diabetes and have now reversed it?  I’m so scared because I know I’m aware of health’s and fitness styles but I live it a house with so little budget budget.... my social life would be a few pints after work, I’m a lonely  person and hate the idea of coming home to silence...
    • Posted

Type 2 Diabetes cannot be reversed.  It can be managed to the point of no symptoms and normal blood sugars but you will always have it.  If you let up on lifestyle changes your numbers will deteriorate again.  It feels great to manage the disease!  And that should be the goal.  One may call it remission but according to the vast majority of leading credible references, T2 cannot be reversed once you have it.  Being pre-diabetic is not the same.
    • Posted

Diagnosis is generally based on A1C results over time.  There are some other markers as well but A1C is most common.  A1C is a rolling average over three months.  That said you can do a pretty good job estimating your own A1C just by measuring your own BG numbers at strategic points throughout the day over a period of time. 
    • Posted

Both Glasgow and Newcastle universities have done studies that show it can infact be reversed. Obviously if you go back to your old ways it will return. All of the patients with type2 diabetes who get gastric bypass surgery find that their type 2 is reversed far too soon for it to be down to weight loss. Whatever they eat after surgery ( very little) seems to kick start a hormone change. I don't know the exact process, but if along the road they return to bad eating habits it does return. There was a documentary on ITV in UK. They did a study on a group of adults with type 2 and got some really good results with that too. Fast Fix diabetes it was called. It may still be on catch up tv. I think you might be in USA if so I am not sure you would be able to access it.

• Posted

That’s great to hear... I’m uk so I’ll fry find it..... I’m trying so hard to eat healthy although trying to eat healthy on the road is tough..... 

Thanks for all your input not sure how I’d cope without this website....

• Posted

I suppose it depends on how “reversed” is defined.  There is no diabetes cure.  However you can get your sugar to normal levels without meds.  If that is “reversed” ok.  But the underlying disease is still present  and will return as soon as lifestyle changes are ceased.
    • Posted

Same as addicts who give up are addicts for life even if they never take drink or drugs again. The study at Newcastle uni showed that if you can lose 1g of fat from the pancreas that will reverse type 2.
    • Posted

The vast majority of the literature indicates that T2 Diabetes cannot be cured.  I am aware that there are a few exceptions.  Believe me I wish it could be cured and I have done a lot of research on this to find such an answer.  The symptoms and markers can be reversed to get into normal ranges and that will prevent many if not all complications.  But the underlying disease does not go away.  That is not semantics.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.