Pre-knee op. advice sought

Posted , 22 users are following.

My prospective surgeon has told me that after my booked full knee replacement I won't ever be able to kneel again on the replacement artificial joint, & the operation is really only designed as a 'pain-relieving measure' & not a restoration of the walking mobility I had before the cartilage went.

Can any1 who has had this operation confirm their experiences along these lines please?

1 like, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You will be able to kneel.  Maybe not for a little while, but you will and more. I may not be able to walk properly but go mountain biking.  Sometimes you need a little faith and a little "I can do this"
  • Posted

There has been discussion about kneeling before.  Some people have been told that they will be able to kneel, at some stage, but I was told no.  In fact, the only time that I have kneeled on my first TKR was necessity...18 months after my Op, I was staying in a hotel with a very wide bath.  I struggled and struggled, but I could not push myself up, so I had no option but to roll over and kneel.  I wouldn't do it from choice, even now nearly 3 years from the Op.

I don't have the full movement that I had with that knee years ago, but I can walk without pain...that's the most important thing.

My second knee was done 13 months ago and I had it re-opened 3 weeks ago as it was stuck due to so much scar tissue.  Again, I just wNt it at a stage where I can get out and walk, and get on and off trains again.

Every person is different and so is every knee.

Good luck with your Op, but be prepared for pain and to work hard.

Patsy

• Posted

I can only kneel on my replacement side for a very short time, for example I couldn't kneel and do the gardening. I kneel for a short time as it's the only  way I can get up from the floor....I've had bilateral hips also.
  • Posted

Well, not really a very good description of what you can expect afterwards. I can kneel on mne, although I don't do it unless absolutely necessary to avoid any possible damage.  Walking is pretty much just as it was before I had the problem with the knee. It's a bit tighter in the mornings  . .  . .and I don't have quite as much bend as I have in the other one, but I wasn't prepared to go through a lot of agony to get more than 125.  After eight months it still doesn't quite feel like part of me, but a lot of people say it takes a year.  And certainly, after the first horrible weeks, it is a pain relieving measure.  I wouldn't want to run or play tennis on mine, but at 70 I wouldn't wantto do it with my original knee either. if you are young, I can see that it may not really be as good as your original knee before you had problems, but it will certainly be a lot better than the one you have now.

• Posted

I have not been told yes or no at this point, 8 wks post left TKR. I have heard some say yes and some say no. Maybe it depends on the surgeon or maybe it depends on the person's situation. What I have heard fairly consistently is no running, although there are some who do run. Maybe get a second opinion?

As for injections, I have gotten cortisone and joint fluid injections for years, until they didn't last long. At first they would last about 4 months, then the cortisone only lasted a few weeks. I had a cortisone injection a couple weeks prior to y TKR without any problems.

• Posted

I would suggest you continue consulting with other surgeons. Though none should ever claim you will be back to 100% use, pain relieving only doesnt sound ideal for surgery, unless you had opted for a specific procedure for insurance reasons.
  • Posted

After four years of continual pain and severely limited quality of life which has taken me out of so many events and activities, I personally am THRILLED with my TWO TKRs (June 26th, 2015 and four days ago on Oct. 9th)!

To be able to do nearly 100% of what I once was able to do, to have more balance and flexibility than I can remember having, to walk pretty much in a normal gait (improving quickly after my recent surgery), and to be able to impress my surgeon, my therpists as well as myself...well, if I never kneel again ( and I haven't kneeled since 1980 when I felt a POP in the back of each KNEE kneeling to get decorations out of my second grade classroom), I really DON'T CARE!

If I must be careful not to pivot or use my new knees in certain ways...SO BE IT!

I am just thankful and extremely grateful to have my life back! I look forward to playing with our new GRANDDAUGHTER (one month old tomorrow) and dancing at our youngest son's wedding next September. I am glad to be able to shop for several hours pretty much without lots of pain and look forward to even longer shopping trips...looking for clothes or shoes or household goods instead of looking for a CHAIR to sit in to rest.

Having my family look at me happily instead of in a pitying way is PRICELESS!

I am 100% glad of my decision to have both knees replaced. For me, it was the right choice.

My surgeon speaks about "quality of life". He has NEVER talked about the TKR as "JUST" a pain-free relieving measure.

I am VERY SATISFIED with my two new knees! I thank God every day for guiding my surgeon's hand to helping me get my life back.

• Posted

I too have had "bone to bone" x-rays and MRI. However I have to tell everyone is different. I have been able to play doubles tennis for past few years. Sure I cant move to the ball like I used to. But I can play competatively. You learn to adjust. I'm 66 and my left knee is really failling now. Once I'm not able to run a bit or its too painful to walk my dog I'm all there for a replacement. You will know when your ready. But just because the doc says your "bone to bone" don't rush in for surgery. 
    • Posted

I do agree with you but, be careful, the more bone that disintergrates, the more that will need replacing
    • Posted

suppose it also depends on age.  You are still comparatively young to people like me!  You can leave it several years, and still be able to cope with a TKR.  If you are already in your seventies, like me, it seems more sensible to do it before lots of other things start failing!
    • Posted

I've had revisions in my 30's 40's 50's and they aren't fun whatever joint that's failed,..they get harder as you get older.

and of course,  the more you need the less likelihood of a satisfactory outcome. Then the added risk factors rise also.

thats why I can never understand people jogging after hip replacement,.

• Posted

No, it's not as if jogging is necessary to life!  I intend to treat my TKR with kid gloves . . I want it to last until I don't need a knee any more!

• Posted

jogging after a hip replacement is better than doing it with a knee replacement.  It's the kness that takle the impact, not the hips
    • Posted

I dont think thats true for everyone ive had multiple revisions on my hips both sides same surgeon same hospital but im still on my original knee which is 17 years old.

So not in my case.

• Posted

It is your knees that are the shock absorbers for your body

The knee is one of the most important joints of our body. It plays an essential role in movement related to carrying the body weight in horizontal (running and walking) and vertical (jumps) directions

The hips primary function is to primary function is to support the weight of the body in both static (e.g. standing) and dynamic (e.g. walking or running) postures

• Posted

Don't know what you are getting at. I don't think jogging after any replacement is a good idea.
    • Posted

hips are a different mechanic to the knees.  If you have hips replaced and you heal properly; you CAN take up sport.  Obviously one cannot do contact sports like rugby/football, but you can play sports, tennis, badminton and jogging.  With knees it is a slightly different affair, but you can still play sports and jog.  I know of people in their 80's that jog, play golf and tennis & badminton.

Now wouldn't it be so stupid of me to say something that I couldn't back up.  Sometimes, instead  of making negative comment, you have to not only do the reading, but do the action as well!!

• Posted

are you saying that after TKR you can jog !!!! dont think so !! well ive TKR ON BOTH KNEES and no way would i be able to jog ,ive not tried but im pretty sure i couldnt ,and im with the others why would i want to jog after going through all this ops throw at you to go out and jog !!!! im 58yrs old and i look at people running and jogging and i often say to myself are you mad !! but maybe its just me because ive been through alot over the last 3yrs with 3major ops and 2 miner ops during that time on my knees whats wrong with walking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Posted

After I had my first TKR I was able to play tennis with my children; albeit with a full length support (yes I looked like Long John Silver), I could get from one side of the court to the other and back again.  I have friends who have had hips replaced who "run" every Sunday.  There are also people who jog.  My Gp's husband had is TKR a month before me, was passed fit to resume to going back to being a DS and plays rugby again. It is permissable; the joint just wont last as long.  There is nothing wrong with walking, but some people find the need to move faster more invigourating.  I used to run, unfortunately now I can barely walk a mile, unless I wear braces.  Instead I go off track cycling, I fall off now and then, specially if I hit a hidden branch, but it is a freedom I cannot enjoy by walking alone.

I too have had various prodecures dating back for many many years, and yes I have my down days and I am older than you.  I too look at people running, instead of looking at them as if they are crazy, I am envious.

What I cannot understand is, I have been told what I can, cannot, should not do, and if I do, there are consequences.  I do not believe I am the only one on this forum that is fortunate enough to have such back-up. (Oldfatguy has the right mind set + the stamina).  Perhaps it is time for me to delete myself from this site 

• Posted

i supose what i am trying to get accross is that i too love sport and was playing competitively (type of golf ) i was at the top of my game and i love it since my ops ive not played much but since my revision last august i came back playing in june ,i managed to play in a team for my county last month i put my heart and soul into practice it paid off we won ,but in saying that it took its toll on me, the constant twist of the knee caused me alot of pain and since then its been hard to get back to where i was before  ,its a couple of weeks now since ive played and it has eased off ,im now back in the gym to try to strenghten my legs ,i have to accept my days for playing are ended and i know ill miss it soo much ,it was a big part of my life .look your opinion is good to hear and we all are on here for the same reason just because everybody dose not agree with you is no reason to stop posting ,it would be a boring forum if we all agreed
    • Posted

Most surgeons I've read on internet, and my own,  agree with Mary that jogging is not a good idea, although possible for many people. ,.  it's fairly high impact, after all, and every impact will shorten the life of your prosthesis.  Of course, taking part in  impact sports like tennis, jogging, etc. is a matter of choice. Not many 80 year olds can jog, play tennis and badminton, even with their own knees, but there are always the exception.  and I am pretty sure that it IS n exception, rather than the rule. Perhaps this 80 year ld is not that worried about wearing out his/her knee . . 
    • Posted

Why leave the forum?  Because people disagree withyour attitude to how to treat a prosthesis?  I'm sure nobody has tried to suggest that you cannot run, jump, skydive etc. after a TKR if that is your choice. Most of us just wouldn't want to take the risk.  What is good about this forum is that generally we tend to agree with each other, but when we don't, there is really no need to take it as a personal slight. 
    • Posted

Yes they are different,  they dislocate much easier than a knee. Jogging is NOT recommended and singles tennis isn't either doubles is ok.  for hip replacement..And any one doing crazy stuff like running jogging whatever you want to call it are nuts.

people think I will just get it redone, and a revision each time it's done is harder than the previous one, there is less bone and the risks go up, 

my surgeon is so hesitant to do joints on the young, simply because he knows they might go out and do dumb things,.. I had to beg him to do mine as I was only 37 at the start . and in 6 years I had 5 total joints done. Now I'm 60 I have had 14 of the dam things. I am lucky I am still very active I swim a lot and I walk. So heaven help those that do contact stuff and jogging.

in my experience the shoulder is top of the list of hard recovery.

• Posted

Awwww! Please stay!

We are all a team here...trying to figure it all out...trying to deal with pain and find our way.

There is room for everyone here!

• Posted

I am more than happy to have lively debates (disagreements).  What bugs me are the 'eejits' .

What we have to do read and learn, then debate. When you get ill-informed people (no you are not one of them) spouting off, it takes away the topic that is being discussed.  I know I have a tendency to spout off, but what I have said is always proven, not hearsay or something that I've googled or heard down the local pub (not that we have a local pub). Being in pain for 40 odd years is not something I enjoy, it hasn't worn me down, but I am working on it. I am now on phase ???. When that stops working. It's back to the drawing board.  It has nothing to do with goverments or buying from the cheapest bidder, or even NICE (The National Institute for Health and Excellance) who are penny pinchers, but if you have a good medical team around you there are ways round this. I am sure the FDA is the same mindset.

See, I'm spouting off again, but finding a release from chronic pain is what brought me to this site, I am not a know it all by a long shot, but  I have learnt a lot along the way, which I guess is why I am short on patience sometimes x

• Posted

You are a sweetie.  This site is so addictive.  If I don't sign off I will end up getting frustrated. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion and lord knows I have mine. Sometimes I take comments to heart, when I shouldn't. Working in an office full of men and no females has given me a thick skin, but I guess it is not thick enough when it comes to TKR and the fall-out it (the joint) it causes. xx
    • Posted

I think we have all learnt way too much where the journey of joint replacements is the main topic.
    • Posted

Yes we have, but unfortunately we are no nearer to the answer. 

The search goes on xx

• Posted

we are not  "eejits" as you put it ,i have never talked on this forum about anything ive googled nor heard down the pub ,ive only ever talked about my own experiences with my ops and the problems ive incountered with when ops didnt go the way they should of ,just because people dont always agree with you ,dose not give you the right to call us eejits !!!! its pretty stupid of you to say such a thing .as others said we mostly agree on topics ,but some times we dont !! and thats ok too maybe you should think about that .
    • Posted

I have been a teacher for many years...now retired..., but one thing I have learned is that each individual has something to bring to the table. I always found that those with the most to say were often very brave and made good leaders. They learned from the patient ones some additional skills that made them even better leaders.

I have never been especially brave. I have always been an encourager, though, because I have watched great things happen when each person felt confident to have a voice.

It is hard to battle for such a long time! Pain has a way of reaching to your very core!

You can do what you think is best for you, of course, but I wanted to encourage you to not lose something that has helped you...this site.

Best to you no matter what you decide!

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi there!

I am doing GREAT! I was discharged a day early because they said I was READY! That was a nice thing! The birthday party for our youngest son that we were going to have in my hospital room (private room) was able to be moved to OUR HOUSE! My husband got everything ready, and everyone was there when we pulled up! It was a lovely HAPPY DISCHARGE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY , and our new granddaughter's first visit to our home (She was just three weeks old!)!

I am moving better earlier with RIGHT KNEE than I did with LEFT KNEE. The physical therapy and home exercises helped strengthen BOTH LEGS. I know I was in better shape going into my second operation.

How are YOU doing?

• Posted

Sometimes you really do miss the point. There are eejits on this site (on hindsight I should have been clearer, apologies there). I honestly was not referring to you.  I thought you of all people would have realised that.  There are some words that cannot be used on this site, I would have imagined "idiot" was one of them.  If you had read the whole post you would have seen it was not addressed to one's ethnicity, but to a very very small majority that minimise what people on this site are going through.  Their words are diverting away from the real reason.  It is not helpful.  I hope this has cleared things up between us.  You personally are one of the stalwarts of this forum.  Me, I have a mentally verbal  mind.  Yes , everyone is entitled to their own words/thoughts/actions. You don't need people spouting political rhetoric. Or saying perhaps it is ones weight.  Yes there are surgeons, consultants, medical staff that could not give 2 hoots about their patients. There are also a lot of people on this site that need the strength to go looking for other alternatives / areas instead of listenening to the one person that has aggravated their pain.

One thing I do is to evaluate peoples ability to look after vulnerable children.  I read the reports, and I meet the people. I listen to what they are not saying and I hear what they are saying. What I say has an impact on their livliehood.  On this site I read what SOME people are saying, most of the time I pass over and make no comment, but sometimes ..... 

Again, I publicly apologise to you. What I had written was not directed at you at all. Nor to any other Irish person on this site. (If you had noticed, it is a word I have used quite a bit).

Now, go and watch the rugby (even if you don't like the game) as they need all the support they can get at the moment.  Me, my name is surname is Ryan and if this site had audio you would be able to hear in the background the noise in my house right now!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

You are being brave just by being on this site.  You have something to say, that should humble someone like myself.

I seem to also have the ability to upset the wrong people, this is a new phenomenon for me.

Thank you  xx

• Posted

ha ha!!!! your one angry girl !!!  i didnt think you were getting at the irish im not like that we irish are tougher than that .apoligy accepted , chill out we all need each other . i for one avoid saying such words because im afraid id upset people  and god knows we all have enough to contend with .life for some of us didnt end up like we hoped for  so lets end this with abit of love and kindness  xxx
    • Posted

Really?  I;ve had a couple of operations on the shoulder, byut not a replacement. . but if things go on getting worse, i may end up with one.  I had thought perhaps it wouldn't be as bad as a knee one, but of course, it is a very complex joint.  Recovery from the operations I;ve had was quite long and painful, but obviously a new joint is a totally different thing. Hope I can avoid it!  First of all, the ankles are my main problem to try to get right!
    • Posted

What a wonderful cheerful post!  Very happy for you . . by the time your new granddaughter is toddling, you'll be able to keep up with her!
    • Posted

Wonderful. I just had my 6 wk post op check up. I'm at 130 bend, 0 extension, off pain meds for a couple of weeks so I've been discharged from PT. still doing my exercises religiously though as I'm trying to strengthen both legs in anticipation of my right TKR in Jan. and want 2 very strong legs when I'm done with all of this. I couldn't be happier with my results and am so glad you are doing so well with this surgery. Keep up the good work!
    • Posted

Yes! I am thinking of all the fun things that we will be able to do together! She is a little go-getter, so I expect she will enjoy plenty of MOVEMENTactitities!

Also, our youngest son gets married in September 2016, and I am looking forward to dancing at his wedding and being able to walk and stand instead of sitting!

How are YOU doing?

• Posted

That is all FANTASTIC news!

You will be VERY HAPPY that you are in such good shape for Knee #2 in January! The PT strengthened both legs, and my balance is better than I can remember in many years.

• Posted

Knee is great!  wish I could find a forum for the osteo chondritis of the ankles though . .seems it's a bit too rare!  Back to two crutches and walking the minimum possible, not because that's what I want, but because the specialist says it's my only chance of it ever getting better neutral  Boring . . . .. 
    • Posted

I'm not familiar with osteo chondritis. I know there are MANY forms of arthritis, though.

I will find out more about it.

Understanding proper treatment and FOLLOWING IT is hard. Yes, it can be boring. Maybe find some interesting things to do while sitting???

Two years ago when my knees really hurt I began looking up my geneology. It was a way I could DO SOMETHING and rest my painful knees at the same time. I had a great time developing our family tree, added our new daughter-in-law and her family and soon was up to 3000 people in our tree!

I got a message from the website seven months into my project from a lady in California . It turns out she and I are third cousins, and we have THE SAME great-great GRANDPARENTS! Our great-grandfathers were BROTHERS!

We have been e-mailing, sending photos, and getting to know one another. In March of this year (our one year anniversary of finding one another!), Nidia told us of a Welsh Festival that was being held in Columbus, Ohio and asked if we would like to meet there. Our families are from Cardiff in South Wales. She said her husband, two grandsons and her grandson's wife would be willing to fly there from California! Here is the clincher: two weeks before I had a TKR on MY LEFT KNEE, SHE had a TKR on HER LEFT KNEE!

Well, long story short, we met this past September in Columbus. We are from northern Ohio. We spent FOUR amazing days together as an extended family...singing and listening to concerts, going to seminars, learning a bit of the Welsh Language, EATING, talking and all having the most wonderful time! I brought the scrapbooks I had made (another new hobby!), and she brought tons of photos for me to see. I made Welsh Cookies and brought Welsh tea, and we spent one whole afternoon talking about our family, drinking tea, eating cookies and having a LOVELY time resting our new knees!

All because I decided to find a new hobby!

Maybe you will find something exciting, too!

Wishing you a very good outcome and plenty of patience and positive thinking!

• Posted

It will all be OK.

Thank you for the kind words. I just enjoy hearing all different viewpoints and never want to miss anyone's take on things.

There's always a way to work things out!

• Posted

Pain is like a pool of quicksand. Once it gets a grip on just a little piece of you it starts sucking you in little by little until you are fully engulfed, body and mind. I have found at times that I really have to be on guard not to be really short with those that are the closest to me. Not that I was ever accused of being the poster child for patience as a virtue. My wife on the other hand has always been the one in the family was the steady influence until Parkinson's slowly has taken over her life and will eventually completely render her helpless or take her life. As the disease progresses, she has become more impatient, compulsive and difficult to deal with on small matters. The reason I being this into play, you never know what someone lease has or is enduring. To us, someone who complains of be tired and achey because of over exertion seems trite and not even worth mentioning but to them they are sore and hurt. Some, like me, who have had multiple surgeries ( 11 for me) might want to think the gut who is going through the 1st one is just having the usual rookie experience but to that individual that is in pain, They need comforting and as much good advice as possible. Personally, I only feel comfortable in relaying advice that has been given to me by professionals and from my own experience in rehabing the knee now for the 5th time. Bitterness is a slow growing cancer that can erode our minds without even realizing it and it comes often with the feeling of hopeless ongoing pain. I admire Valerie as she maintains an optimistic , cheerful approach to so many adversaries and always appreciate her posts. I would be so wonderful if ever one could walk away from this surgery in 8-12 weeks just like the text books tell us we should.
    • Posted

What a wonderful story!  Cardiff is just ver the water from my home town, bristol . .athough now I live in Tenerife, Canary islands.  Osteo chondritis is fairly unusual, and to get it in both ankles at the same time, apparently even more unusual, although I;m not sure that my specialist has actaully seen many cases of it.  He described it as being like 'a heart attack to the bone', in that the bone has at some time been deprived of blood, and subsequently died, and disintegrated, and is now being reabsorbed  . . and hopefully will regenerate . . . if I don't keep walking on it!  Hope your recovery goes on as well as it has begun!
    • Posted

I am not bitter, I have a lot of patience, I just do not have time for people who have nothing to bring to the table.  That is my frustration. The only time I am short/impatient is when someone says something irrelevant to someone To others, (not myself) looking for something that this site has to offer.  I too have had multiple surgeries over the years and between the 2 of us, could most probably swap "horror" stories back and forth.  I take my hat off to you for your patience, your strength to make your wife comfortable and your wisdom on this forum. 

There are people that are coming on this forum scared of what has happened to them.  How they have become depressed, in constant pain, have imcompetent surgeons and doctors who seem not to care.  They do not need to know or think there was a lottery on their new limbs. They do not have to think it could be their weight that is the issue;even if they are as skinny as a skeleton.  I have all the time in the world.  For some reason, people are reasing into what I have written and taken offense where no offense was given, meant or intended.

I have spent half the day justifying my actions on this site. I did not think I would have to, to you.  Out of every single one on this site, you were "the go to guy" with your words of wisdom. 

Long may you be strong, I truly wish there was a miracle cure for your wife. You are a good person

xx

• Posted

Your WISDOM truly inspires me. Thank you for that!

Very thoughtful...very special.

• Posted

Ok people I found out if you need after surgery smogle soon OPC's +95 and mega enzymes reduces swelling knee replacement and also tart cherry plus MSM reduces swelling. Try it I'm going to surgery on 10/26
    • Posted

A "heart attack to the bone." Goodness! We go along day after day, week after week and never even THINK ABOUT our bones unless they break or we have to have some surgery on them. I never knew that blood supply TO THEM could be interrupted!

That is good to hear about the reabsorbing and the regenerating! So, the resting is truly essential as the bone is doing all of its hard work. That makes a lot of sense!

OK, so we need to find you all kinds of interesting things to do while you are keeping those ankle bones resting and reabsorbing and REGENERATING!

I think ONE fantastic thing would be keeping a journal which COULD eventually turn into a book! I'm sure there are many people interested in osteoarthritis chondritis because it sounds very different, very scary BUT CAN HAVE one very amazing outcome...regeneration of the tissue!

If you are interested, I can get info from my son who recently wrote an e-book about losing weight and getting fit. Just send me a private message!

• Posted

Martinarvelo...., the shoulder is difficult in that it's really hard to immobilise .

you can't cough sneeze get dressed without moving the shoulder. I've had both sorts just a normal shoulder, and now I've had revisions on both I have got reverse shoulders on both sides...you get reverse shoulders if your rotator cuffs are no good.sleeping is also a huge issue.

i have a full range of movement in the left...but  the other side my right  I had a Brachial Plexux injury and I can barely lift it, above waist level...overall I am pleased now..

• Posted

Ok I will let you know after my surgery on 10/26 how I make out 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.