Pre op

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi again,

You were all so good helping me put a list of things I need to do before my TKR.

I searched the forum looking for any ideas on what the actual pre op assesment entails but can't see anything.

I know it varies from hospital to hospital and Consutant to Consultant buy wondered just what does happen?

I think bloods and medical exam to determine you are fit pre operatively but is there anything specific to TKR's I should be aware of?

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question.

2 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Very disappointed.

Had pre op today and they tell me my date will be sometime in February!

What's the point of that! cry

Unless there's a cancellation?

• Posted

I was under the impression that you had the pre op a few weeks before surgery?
    • Posted

That depends on local protocol. Ice always had it sometime within a week of the surgery
    • Posted

Exactly - a week or two. This is February which is more like two months.

By the time of the op the test results etc will be redundant surely.

• Posted

oh daisymay that is soo disapointing for you !! ya i cant see the point of pre op as you would expect to have within the week or two of the pre op more than likely you will have to have another pre op in the new year .thats so unfair .   

but in saying that i did have my first tkr (bi lateral) on the 6th of december  2012 ,it was too much before christmas ,i know my op didnt go well but even if it did it was still too close to christmas ,though some people told me to hold off till after christmas ,but no way would i do that ,i was all geared up for the op like you are now .  but believe me i think that when new year arrives you will be happier about it .i stupidly cooked christmas dinner that year i must of been mad ! i put it down to the coctail of drugs i was on ,somebody should of stopped me ,but no one did hubby and i muddled through and my daughter was home for christmas ,she was about as much help as a chocolate teapot !!! i had come out of hospital on the 18th of december with two new knees and a broken shin bone .its amazing when you think about it nothing  less than crazy   !!! thats us women for you .

try and enjoy the christmas and look at it this way  by easter you will be well over it so chin up .xx

• Posted

Thanks Linda! I was geared up and really wanted to get it over with so I could fly in June but

now looks like July at the very earliest.

OMG you managed to cook Christmas Dinner so soon with a bilateral TKR and broken shin?

You are probably right so I will now enjoy Christmas and look forward to the New Year. Gives me yet more time to plan and exercise!

Thanks for sharing Linda!

Have a lovely Christmas this year and All the Very Best for 2016! biggrin

• Posted

i  had surgery n dec  3 rd  went  to  sleep 745 am and  dont  recall the recovery  being awakened  or  anything lol  i  awoke  430  when i mwas in my  room ...that  happen  to  any  one

• Posted

Always woke up in recovery. Last time I had to spend extra couple of hours there as they didn't have a room for me. Due to the long bout with staph they wanted me in a private room.
  • Posted

Hi again guys!

Just had phone call for cancellation for next Tuesday!

So great news.

Running round like a headless chicken trying to remember what to do and what I need to take with me!

Thanks for all your help everyone biggrin

• Posted

wow!! good luck daisymay2 im sooooo pleased for you .and not much time to think about it perfect !  keep us posted . i will be thinking of you x
    • Posted

Thanks irish linda!

Still can't quite believe it!

Working my way through the to do list ready for Tuesday!

Apprehensive but also happy it's actually going to finally happen! biggrin

I will keep you posted!

• Posted

Great news.

Hope all goes fine.

Praying for you

Keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Wishing you a successful surgery and a very speedy recovery. Thinking of you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.