Pre-op assessment... what to expect.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi again everyone.

Im due to have a pre op assessment soon & im just wondering what to excpect. Im a bit worried that i will be on my period when im ment to have my assessment (does it matter?). I dont want to not be able to go just because of that. Also what do they do?.& how long is surgery after that?.

Thanks

Cheryl x

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If your in the U.K then it usually goes something like this. You'll have your height and weight taken, this is to help the anaesthetist get the right amount of anaesthetic for you. You'll be asked to swab your nostrils and groin, it was done for me 8 years ago but this time round I was asked to do it myself. No worries about being on your period as nobody goes there! You'll have your blood pressure and temperature taken too.

You may be asked to have a series of blood tests, normally just routine non fasting bloods, iron levels, white cells etc.

You get asked loads of questions, ones you have probably been asked before, they seem repetitive but they are asked for a reason. You'll be given verbal and written advice on your preparation for surgery and may be given some drinks to take home ready for the night before your surgery. They taste like flat lemonade and help with getting through fasting and not eating normally post surgery.

You'll get chance to ask any questions, although not all may get answered as it won't be the surgeon that does the pre-op assessment.

Hope all goes well and this has helped. Take care.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. I was just worried because i went for a scan &it couldnt be done because of my period (which delayed it). Dont want that to happen again. I am in the uk, hopefully i wont have to wait to much longer now. Thank for all your advice, youve been very helpfull.

Hope everything went well with you.

Cheryl.x

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I'm sure that pre-consultations vary by doctor and region, but I'll share my experience. Vitals were taken (weight, blood pressure, etc) then the doctor reviewed my medical history and ultrasound images and report (GP had ordered them beforehand). She discussed the findings and explained to me what a dermoid cyst is, what my options were, risks and benefits of each option and answered questions. She then did a bi-manual physical exam to see if she was able to palpate the cyst.

If you're concerned about your period, you may want to call ahead and voice your concern. It may not be a problem at all.

As far as the timeframe between consult and surgery, I am sure that there are a number of factors to consider (type of cyst, location of cyst and speed of growth, surgeon's schedule, etc). In my case, I had my consult in early February and surgery last Friday (mid April). I had to reschedule once bc of difficulty scheduling an MRI and once due to an upper respiratory infection. Important lesson learned: you shouldn't go under general anesthesia while sick because the breathing tube that's used can move the infection to the lower resp tract, causing pneumonia or other complications.

In my experience, the anticipation of surgery was far worse than the actual procedure. I'm less than a week out and feeling good!

Best of luck to you ??

• Posted

Hi jen.

Thanks for all your advice & help. Spunds like your recovering well 😆. I hope i havnt to much longer to wait, i just keep seeming to have a lot of set backs (no more hopefully). Its really good to hear good stories of surgery as well as bad.

Thanks again.

Hope you have a surgery free future.

Best wishes

Cheryl. X

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

Sorry that I don't have any advice but just wanted to say great that you have a pre-op appointment on the way! Weve chatted in the past and I recall last you were in A&E.

Hope you are feeling positive towards things moving on for you! biggrin

• Posted

Hi again Mason.

Thank you for your kind words . How is everything with you?. I hope my journey is nearly over. Just cant wait till i dont have to keep going to hospital.

Best wishes

Cheryl.x 😊

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

Things are ok, I have the Ultrascan tomorrow that the last Gynea ordered, i'm quite nervous (but also excited) as he has filled my mind with so much doubt. When I went I showd him the results of a recent MRI (for my back which mentioned the cyst) and because it said 'represents an ovarian cyst with some haemorrhage' he said "Oh this is much better than fist though, in fact this will probably have gone!"

Gone? I have had a cyst (the same one my heart tells me) since 2010, probably earlier, it was only found in 2010 during a pregnancy scan. I was there in Oct 2016 slightly bigger, and the MRI measured it bigger again. 

He finally turned on his computer after me asking to check if the MRI pictures were there for him to see as i'd been ringing every week to ensure that they were (different hospitals) and then only then he looked and hmmm a bit and said ok, it 'might' be dermoid and 'what did I want to do next?!"

I was in shock I think, him asking me what I wanted to do about it, obviously I said I wanted it out in hope that it was the route of my pain, even though all along all health professionals that I personally have seen say it wont be, I signed the forms and as I stood up to leave he said "how do I feel about having another scan?", I said surely thats a ggod idea seeing as you think its GONE!

So here I am the day before the scan to see who's right....

• Posted

Hi Mason.

I know what your going through, ive been dealing with 2 hospitals which makes it harder (even tho there only 6miles apart). I think everyone should only see one doctor at one hospital and the shouldnt be alowed to mislead you in any way.ive also signed all consent forms so maybe we will have the op about the same time. When i went on thursday he said "he doubts its the cyst causing all my pain". I really hope your scan goes ok & you get all the answers you need & not just ones they think you want to hear.

Best of luck

I really really hope it goes well for you.

Cheryl😄x

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl,

I am very nervous and i've read somewhere that I might not get my results today - Surely they can at least tell me if the cyst is still there/what size/is it dermoid today?

The more I read the more worried I get sad

• Posted

They do tell you if its there (thats about all mine told me). They wont tell you anything else i dont think.

Best of luck

Hope you get some answers.x

Cheryl x

• Posted

Well im back from the ultrascan and internal, she was lovely but definitely not up to giving much away, more interested in how I've had scabs and MRI and she was unable to see either of them.

Once she'd finished and I was getting dressed she said my results will go and be discussed at my next appoint to which I said I hadn't got one, I then asked was it still there... yes, I asked was it dermoid... yes but very confusingly has blood also, I then asked the size... 6.5 cms so a 2 cm growth since Dec.

I have no idea what will happen next!

• Posted

Hi, you should just get a pre-op date in the post now. Glad you got some answers. My cyst also has blood in it but it is a dermoid. We will see if its me or you that gets the op first. Hope your felling better now. Please keep in touch so i know how things are going with you

Best wishes.

Cheryl💜xx

• Posted

When's your pre-op Cheryl?

Yes I'm feeling glad for answers,tomorrow I have another scan but that's for my intestines and I have to fast for that, my gp is convinced my pain isn't the cyst so she's checking everything!

• Posted

That sounds just like me, my doctor thinks i will still have pain after my op as hes not 100% sure its that causing the pain (wont know till the op).

I havnt got a date yet but on thursdsay when i signed the consent forms he said it shouldnt be too long . I am hoping it is this causing the pain, dont want to go through more scans etc. It sounds like your doctor wants to just rule everything else out.

Glad your feeling a bit better. Xx

• Posted

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we are both on our way to getting these horrid thing out.

Hope you are ok xx

• Posted

Yes, fingers crossed. Were near the finish line.. best of luck to you. X
    • Posted

Hi mason

How are things going with you?. Hope you havnt been having to much pain. I got my pre-op date through today (16th may). Hope everything is moving forward for you.

Take care

Cheryl💟x

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I had a letter from my gp on thurs saying that my local ultrascan showed that my dermoid had grown to 6.5cms and that she'd send the scans to gynaecologist. I have no idea if this will move things along but I doubt it, yours is bigger than mine so I'm glad you are moving up the list! Surely a pre op means surgery soonish after?

The other thing for me is my scan showed I have a polyp in my gallbladder but I'm seeing a consultant on thurs about that - hopefully nothing to worry about

So pleased for you!!!

Lucy xx

• Posted

Hi lucy,

Sounds like your getting a little closer to getting answers. I have heard a story on here where a lady had a polyp removed at the same time as having the cyst removed. With a bit of luck if you have both removed it might be the end of all your problems.😊. I cant wait till i can get back to normal again. As time goes on i have more bad days than good days. I just wonder how some woman have massive cysts and no syptoms. Will be thinking about you on thursday.

Gook luck

Cheryl. X

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

Yes two at once sounds great if it comes to it, I'd hate to have to have 2 surgeries and 2 lots of sick leave!

I'm sure the polyp is small enough to be left alone but we will see.

Xx

• Posted

Well my appoint went as good as can be expected really, the consultant wants to do his own scans of the gallbladder before 'just taking it out for the hell of it'. He said a polyp wouldn't really cause me any symptoms, however what I did describe sounds like gallbladder disease.

I am waiting for yet another scan to see hoe it functions and where to go from there.

In the mean time i'm back to feeling like I want movement with this cyst - Can I ask did you have to moither the secretary/consultant much or did your appoint just come through?

Hope you are ok,

Lucy x

• Posted

Hi lucy.

I did have to ring up a few times to get my app, i also think they do it a bit quicker if you get admited to hospital a few times.

It seems like there doing the opposite with me ( taking out my cyst, then seeing if the pain stops, if not more investigating). If i was you i would still get it removed, it could be adding to your pain etc. Seems like you've still got a long road ahead of you.

Hope it all works out well.

Cheryl x

• Posted

I rang the secretary yesterday asking if there was any developments following from my scan (they don't know I know the results) and she said oh yes there's a letter waiting to be typed, they're a bit behind and to ring in 2 weeks if no letter has appeared.

My god, if it's taking 5 weeks for my results I've little faith in surgery anytime soon sad

• Posted

Hi Lucy.

You will just have to ring up everyday till they get that pi*#ed off they hurry it up. I did have to pester them a bit, dont know if you know but theres been a cyber attack on the nhs (&other companies), not sure if that will delay it anymore. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I cant wait till tuesday for my app.😆 i really do hope you here something soon.

Best wishes

Cheryl.x

• Posted

Hi Cheryl - How are you?

Yes I have heard, I wonder what effect it will have. I still can't believe how antiquated the nhs seems to be to me. I mean they are saying the delay for my letter was due to a problem with my name 'they couldn't find me as it was done in my maiden name'. Surely i've had the same nhs number all along! I can't believe things take so long. I know i'm not urgent but still it's nice to know things are progressing.

I think my mind is on it too much and i'm going to ring AGAIN today and ask what the waiting times are for surgery, at the very least I might speak to someone 'in a good mood' who might just actually open my file and have a look into things for me.

And of corse whilst this is ongoing our cysts continue to grow, scary really!

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

Im not to bad thanks. I know what your going through, the nhs arnt great. I dont even know if my app for tommorow is still going ahead. My hospital is still effected & some outpatient app's have been cancelled 😔, unsure about mine. Hope youve got through ringing them again today. The more you ring up the quicker they normally are. Try not to worry to much, there will be a end to it all (soon i hope).

Good luck

Cheryl. X

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

Have you been for your pre-op today? I truly hope so, did they give you an idea of waiting time for the op now? I hope it's soon for you smile

I rang the hospital, spoke to a lovely secretary (for the first time) and she said always ring if i'm worried about anything, she gave me the number for the waiting lists so I rang them, she said my op might be in June, more likely July, Aug at the latest she would hope.

That means bloody summer hols and kids to look after but hey ho - I would NEVER dream of cancelling the appointment, I'm having this out and will ask for family help.

I'm thinking of you and hope you have had your pre-op, llok forward to hearing from you and what happened,

Lucy x

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

Just got back from my pre-op. Had blood tests etc. They gave me a ECG & they wasnt happy with it so they want it done again next week. She couldnt give me a date for the op anyway cause of the computers still being down. So, its back to waiting again.

Im quite lucky when it comes to kids after my op (mine are 18 &20). Had them very young. Im sure your family will all do what they can for you. Im glad you got some answers today and were in june in two weeks. It looks like mine might be june also. Its not too much longer for us to wait i suppose.

Good to hear from you.

Best wishes

Cheryl.x

• Posted

Oh what a bummer, ECG, that's for your heart right? I hope my notes show I've ectopic beats and it's not a problem! Any idea what/why they weren't happy? Were you stressed??

Xx

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

They said it wasnt going to fast or to slow, it was just not in a proper rhythm. I do feel it beat weird a lot but i thought it was normal. They gave me the blood test bag to take home with me (you have to take it to pathology to get more blood done 1-2 days before surgery). So, if they gave me that im hoping the surgery will go ahead. I wasnt stressed just a bit hot (the heating was on full i think). Will have to just wait now but ive loads of practice at waiting so im very good at it now. 😄.

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.