pre-op tests

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am just back from the hospital where I am having my gallbladder removed on Tues 21st. I was swabbed for Mrsa,given an ecg,and had a full blood count The nurse couldn't get blood out of either of my arms and had to have a doctor to do it. To say I was stressed is an understatement. I have never had any problems having blood taken beforeand she said it was very slow.Also,as I have said in a previous post,I have a \"funny\" heartbeat known as Left Bundle Branch Block,which I have been assured is nothing to worry about. Well,not according to them, as I was told I would have to have a letter from my Gp for the Anaesthetist. I am going private for this,and they have no access to my NHS records so I have managed to get an Appt for Monday morning to see a GP,before I can get a letter. I wish I had just stuck with the good old NHS now as this has been a hassle from start to finish. The consultant they arranged for me does his clinic at this hospital but his operations at another,and my healthcare provider don't have a contract with them. Even the nurse seemed surprised that he was operating from there and said that normally the stitches dissolved ,but \" She didnt know if he used dissolving ones\" I have to wait on the results from all the blood,urine etc tests today,and \" If there is anything wrong we will be iin touch\"

I just feel they should have done this pre op test sooner,as I only have till Monday now to get this sorted out.

Very stressed out now,and worried even more about the anaesthetic

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good luck with all your recovery, the op isnt too bad at all is it smile
  • Posted

glad everything went well maggie, take it easy for a bit.

vix

• Posted

So glad everything went well for you Gemini. I had a slight setback when the wound in my navel started weeping. Got antibiotics and the practise nurse put a paper stitch in where the glue had opened a bit. I am going back to have the dressing changed this afternoon. They didnt have the plastic ones,so I haven't been able to shower. Hopefully,it will have healed up enough to get the paper stitch removed and possibly the dressing. Apart from that,I am feeling stronger every day.

Just glad it's all over.

Jean

• Posted

Hope you continue to recover well. I feel a little weaker today and the navel cut seems to pull a bit more but it is to be expected.

A question for the knowledgeable. My discharge letter to the GP for operative procedure and final diagnosis was: Lap Chole + POC. Anyone tell me what the POC means. Thanks.

• Posted

I think it means [b:c015764228]Peroperative Cholangiography[/b:c015764228] smile
  • Posted

Thanks Dr Spock
  • Posted

plain jane - i am glad your dr's surgery have prescribed anti biotics at this stage - it took me 6 weeks to get a course with a wound that needed contiually dressing as it was leaking!! hopefully their actions will get you sorted in no time!! all the best.

vix

• Posted

gemini - you are right to expect a bit of pulling - although you had a lap choly you have still had an organ removed, and those incisions are deaper than you think - take care and dont do much for now.

vix

• Posted

Thanks vixen. Feeling better today. I am eating at long last. Still keeping low fat but am trying to introduce small meals with variety. My husband says I look better already so hopefully in a few weeks time I will be jumping through hoops!
  • Posted

I am envious - I can't wait until they take mine out.

I have a plan. If I can get some of the stones back afterwards, when I am feeling better I want to take a couple of the stones into the garage and batter them to smithereens with a hammer. A little retribution. Very cathartic!

• Posted

That should be fun. We keep looking at the stones and can't believe they were inside me. I have put them in a bigger bottle so can clearly see one that is at least the size of a double sized Maltezer, 5 the size of raisins and a variety of small gravel ones. Am experitmenting with food and so far so good. Last night had Bird's Eye Simply Cod in Crumb, 3 (yes 3) chips, garden peas and a small sliver of cheescake. Heaven. I can't believe after not eating for nearly 2 years that this can happen. Had a bad day (wind) on Thursday and felt very tired Friday but after a couple of cat naps felt better. I really feel that this has been a doddle compared to some ops I have had. Don't run before you can walk though.

Best of luck to all awaiting this op.

• Posted

A question for our experts. It's been a week now and not been too bad on the whole. Today I am noticeable tender on the area of the ex gallbladder and have a pain across the back between the shoulder blades. I have obiviously still got a lot of wind inside me given the funny noises and gurgling. The cuts are doing well but will benefit fromt eh stitches being taken out on Tuesday. Is this all normal?
  • Posted

Yep its all pretty normal, give the pain a day or two and if theres no improvement or it worsens see your GP smile
  • Posted

Thanks Dr Spock. I am actually feeling better today. I have had a house full of visitors for the last few days and I think it just took it out of me even though I wasn't having to do anything. It's quiet now and I am feeling much better. Stitches out tomorrow so that should help too.
  • Posted

Hi All,

I think I would have preferred stitches to this glue stuff as my wounds are still not healed completely,especially the large incision on the navel.I can get off and on chairs and move about a lot easier now. I took the plastic dressing off the 3 smaller incisions the other day,but I have still got to keep a dressing on the navel one as it seems to be taking a while to heal.Apart from that,everything else digestion wise is fine .All the waterworks,bowels etc back to normal. I am still on the low fat stuff at the moment,and have gradually been adding a bit of low fat spread ,and some low fat oven chips with no adverse reactions.

Fingers crossed this navel one clears up soonand I can get back in to my tights etc tried them on yesterday,but after a couple of hours I felt uncomfortable ,so back in to the dressing gown. My hubby is doing all the shopping as I havent been out ,only to the doctors. Too cold up here in Scotland apart from anything else.

I will keep in touch as this site has been a great help.

Cheers,

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.