pre-op tests

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am just back from the hospital where I am having my gallbladder removed on Tues 21st. I was swabbed for Mrsa,given an ecg,and had a full blood count The nurse couldn't get blood out of either of my arms and had to have a doctor to do it. To say I was stressed is an understatement. I have never had any problems having blood taken beforeand she said it was very slow.Also,as I have said in a previous post,I have a \"funny\" heartbeat known as Left Bundle Branch Block,which I have been assured is nothing to worry about. Well,not according to them, as I was told I would have to have a letter from my Gp for the Anaesthetist. I am going private for this,and they have no access to my NHS records so I have managed to get an Appt for Monday morning to see a GP,before I can get a letter. I wish I had just stuck with the good old NHS now as this has been a hassle from start to finish. The consultant they arranged for me does his clinic at this hospital but his operations at another,and my healthcare provider don't have a contract with them. Even the nurse seemed surprised that he was operating from there and said that normally the stitches dissolved ,but \" She didnt know if he used dissolving ones\" I have to wait on the results from all the blood,urine etc tests today,and \" If there is anything wrong we will be iin touch\"

I just feel they should have done this pre op test sooner,as I only have till Monday now to get this sorted out.

Very stressed out now,and worried even more about the anaesthetic

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

so glad things are progressing Jean. Keep up the good work. Just had my stitches out and it feels comfier now. Managing to eat of a variety of food but staying to small portions. Feeling very well on the whole just get unexpected bouts of tiredness and still have a discomfort across the back. Compared to some ops I have this has been a doddle. I am actualy looking better than I have looked in 2 years.

To anyone contemplating having this op I would say go ahead. You will soon feel the difference.

This site has been such great support.

Don't overdo things Jean, as my hubbie keeps saying.

• Posted

Hi Maggie,I had to laugh at your hubby saying Dont overdo things Mine is exactly the same I think he is enjoying doing the shopping etc,but after the first couple of days I was back in the kitchen doing light cooking.as he is pretty hopeless at that.Never mind,he has much more patience than I would have if it was him.I think they just want us back to normal. Understandably.I get kind of griping pains in my lower tummy after some meals but nothing like the horrible trapped wind,upper \"heart attack\"feeling, and general discomfort which I now realise I suffered from more than I actually realised at the time.Every day I had discomfort and pain,not to mention the attacks during the night.

I am glad it has gone,and I am looking forward to getting out an about again.

A couple of weeks of discomfort is far better than a lifetime of pain,and to anyone else faced with the option of this Op I would say Go for it.

• Posted

I agree. Here's to a better quality of life all round. I just keep looking atthe stones in the bottle and knowing why I felt so bad. We have so much catching up to do as we had to cancel holidays and friends invitations for celebration lunches etc. I feel quite hungry now but have got to try to not overeat.
  • Posted

glad to hear you are both still doing well. :D :D
  • Posted

Thanks Vixen. Felt a bit tired today but that's ok. I can't believe the variety of food I am managing to eat. What a difference this op has made already. My family say I have colour back in my face and my old sparkle back in the eyes. Thanks for all your support and advice it has been really encouraging.
  • Posted

Hi,

I am getting there Only thing holding me back from being 100% is the wound in my navel,but its healing well now. I am still on the low fat diet,though,although I have started introducing semi skimmed milk in place of the skimmed,and adding a knob of low fat spread to my potatoes etc. I tend to get griping pains in my lower tummy,so not sure if it's wind or what I have eaten,so I am still taking it a bit easy on the diet.I was so ill with the pain when I ate anything fatty,that I am being super cautious now.I would like to keep in touch with you especially Vixen and Gemini and Dr Spock,but anyone who is or has gone through the same will be welcome. I have just registered on here as it wouldnt let me publish my MSN address otherwise So once it has registered I will be back and hope to hear from you all.

Cheers,

Jean

• Posted

Hi

Vixen gave some good advice on here \"Remember you have had an operation\". I have been progressing very well and therefore have been doing \"helping out\" things to ease the workload for my husband (although 62 and 66 we have the full time care of 2 of our grandchildren so it is busy here). Yesterday I went to the village school to watch our grandson in his last Maypole Dancing ceremony. Hubbie got me there and seated on a hard chair out in the sun. He couldn't stay so came back 2 hours later to collect me. As I sat the pain in my upper body started and I felt very unwell. Got home. Rested. During dinner I felt very unwell and had to go to bed. Pain in my navel and wind all around + light headed. I feel better today but my navel is sore and lumpy. Hope this is just a healing process. It has only been 13 days since the op so the moral is DON'T RUN BEFORE YOU CAN WALK. It really is better to take things easy from the start otherwise just when you think you have cracked it something happens and knocks you back.

• Posted

A very good friend had her gallbladder removed a couple of years ago so has been a major source of support for me!

She also said, it may be keyhole but you have had an operation and your body will take time to recover.

She also said that until it had been done she didn't realise how bad whe had been - described as running on 20% of normal strength.

I am looking forward to it (bizarre). I can deal witht eh surgery. I had major abdo surgery about 10 yrs ago resulting in 15 staples and a 12 inch scar from my navel downwards. That took 3 months to recover from but it was worth it. I am now very good at supressing sneezes.

BTW, if anyone finds it too paintful to sneeze, try squeezing your top lip between finger and thumb VERY tightly. it works 9and is apparently what thr queen does!). Also, for coughs, put a large pillow on your tummy and press it firmpy. That should hold things while you cough.

Just a couple of pain relieving tips!

LellyMxx

• Posted

Gemini,Sorry to hear you had a wee \"setback\". I havent been out since I had my op apart from 2 visits to the doctors,as I have had \"windy\" feelings and a sore back if I stand for any length of time. Also I find that my abdomen is a bit swollen and wearing tights and trousers/skirts is not comfortable so I have been wearing a loose fitting dress.and as we are having gale force winds and torrential rain here in Glasgow,its not exactly the weather for a floaty summer dress. However,today I am going to venture out to the shopping centre as I only have to walk a few yards to the entrance from the car park and its all under cover after that. Also ,we are popping round to see my son and his wife Only thing is he has a big German Shepherd who absolutely loves me and tries to climb up on the settee beside me so she will have to be kept well away as my navel wound is slowly healing but not 100% yet.

Just take it easy for a week or so yet.When you get to our age ,it takes longer to heal so just relax as much as you can,and you will be fine very soon.

Take Care,

Jean

• Posted

I must have been lucky as I was up and about the very next day smile On the other hand I still get quite sore pains even now a year after the Op :?
  • Posted

Quite sore pains where? (if that's not too personal a question) My chiropodist who visited this morning suggested that the light headedness was probably due to sunstroke and I think she may be right. My navel I think will be tender because I have already had an operation on the navel so it has now been cut twice. I have had very little pain except for yesterday.I am moving around a lot and still think the op well worth it.
  • Posted

it does take time - and everyone is different in how they recover - as lellyM says it may be keyhole but it is still an operation - i had open surgery and thought i had a rough deal having a bigger wound but a few months later a family member had the lap proceedure and went through just as much as me in her recovery. it is a case of taking things slowly and trying to do a bit here and there when you feel you can - if you have pain it can be a sign from your body telling you to slow down or try that task a few days later! it is hard when you see things that need doing - but the housework will wait till you are more able to, or someone else is available to do it. just take one step at a time - doing too much too soon can slow your recovery down further.
  • Posted

Gemini,

I hope I am not going to have any pain in a year from now. It's my navel cut that is bothersome as well.and I too have had a previous operation done through the navel so maybe thats why it is taking a bit longer to heal.Just take the good advice on here,and try to take it easy for as long as it takes till you feel stronger. I never went out today,as the wind was biting and very heavy showers(no chance of sunstroke here) I have now registered and if you want to keep in touch,and this is for anyone who wants a natter,not necessarily about gallstones.

I have really enjoyed being on this site. It has been a great help to share experiences with people who really know what you are going through. I hope some of you will contact me.

Cheers,

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.