pre op weight loss

Posted , 9 users are following.

The weight you're expected to lose before the op, is this something that EVERYONE has to do? Or is it if you are over a certain weight? I mean, IF it was that easy to lose the weight, I wouldn't be having an operation!

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You have to loose some weight to protect your liver during the opp and yes everyone does this which is why we have a pre opp diet. The pre opp diet is very restrictive and you couldnt keep it up full time. So in that respect its not an 'easy' way to loose weight. Im personally having the band as a way to maintain rather than loose. I actually loose weight no problem but its keeping it off thats the issue!
  • Posted

I know what you mean. I thought the same. Obviously if you could lose the weight you would not need to have the op

When I had mine it was a requirement even before being accepted for the op.

However different circumstance can make a difference. My weight fluctuated because of my lymphodema so my referring consultant contacted the surgeons to see if I could be accepted.

I was banded 3 years ago but had problems and had another small op to put it right a few weeks ago.

Hopefully I'll lose some now.

• Posted

I understand that they need to see if you are willing to help yourself, but just don't think they realise just how hard it can be?! Good luck to you by the way.
    • Posted

Sorry about the other extra messages - my mobile seems to be having a few issues :D

Yeah the yogurt diet is not only to lose a bit of weight but to shrink the liver, so that the surgeons can get to the stomach easier. Its hard to stick to and not ideal as a long-term thing (lack of vits etc) you normally do it for 2 weeks.

You'll probably surprise yourself because you do actually lose weight on this.

Stock up on yogurts and if you want savoury you can have veg stock cubes like soup. I know its warm n you might not want soup but its an option.

Good luck:D

• Posted

I dont have my band fitted till aug but im lucky where i get to eat actual food for my pre opp diet. Lol. I cant do the milk/yogurt one as im lactose intolerant.
    • Posted

Oh wow that's good

Are you losing weight with the foods you eat.

Could you let us know what your diet is please

It might help me lose some with the band

• Posted

Mmmmmmmmmmm, sounds delicious. ...........NOT!! HA HA. How about a low fat pizza? 😉😅😅
    • Posted

I have not actually started anything given me by the clinic im just trying to follow a very low carb diet in preperation. Also using a smaller plate (it does actually work) so far ive lost 2.5 stone doing this. Im thinking with the pre opp i can hit 3 stone loss by the time i actually have my band fitted!! I have lost 7 stone before but put most of it back on 😡 i usually have one meal a day with a small amount of carbs but the other meals are all fruit/veg and protein. I thought id struggle but ive been ok.

My pre opp diet is breakfast 2 eggs. Lunch bovril. Tea 3.5oz or chicken or fish. Also each day you can have 5 portions (80g) of fruit or veg (no potatoes) x

• Posted

OK

Thanx for your reply. I won't be able to do your diet fully. I can't stand or stomach eggs on their oen.

I could carry on trying low carbs and more protein though. Chicken n veg are good choices n fruit :D

• Posted

Thats just my pre opp diet so i only have to do it for 2 weeks. ☺
  • Posted

I know what you mean. I thought the same. Obviously if you could lose the weight you would not need to have the op

When I had mine it was a requirement even before being accepted for the op.

However different circumstance can make a difference. My weight fluctuated because of my lymphodema so my referring consultant contacted the surgeons to see if I could be accepted.

I was banded 3 years ago but had problems and had another small op to put it right a few weeks ago.

Hopefully I'll lose some now.

• Posted

I think some surgeons like you to loose some if your much larger for health reasons as well as showing your commited to your weight loss journey... i think??
  • Posted

Sorry I think i may have misunderstood.

If its the yogurt preop diet then that

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.