pre op weight loss

Posted , 9 users are following.

The weight you're expected to lose before the op, is this something that EVERYONE has to do? Or is it if you are over a certain weight? I mean, IF it was that easy to lose the weight, I wouldn't be having an operation!

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry I think i may have misunderstood.

If its the yogurt preop diet then that

• Posted

Hiyya, i asked the exact same question before i had my op, u aint expected to lose any certain amount of weight but u have to stick to the pre op diet cos its important for it to shrink ur liver to make the op easier but with pre op diet u wil lose weight anyways but thats just an added bonus dont worry about losing a certain amount of weight or anything its not important x
    • Posted

It might be more important than you think. I had mine done eight days ago and I was weighed prior to going down to theatre and was told the operation going ahead was reliant on me having lost a certain amount of weight since my pre-op appointment. I think the surgeons use it as a basic way of discovering whether you have stuck to the Liver-shrinking diet or not before they get you on the table. I must admit I panicked a little bit as it was the first time it had been mentioned to me (Obviously I had had to lose a certain body weight percentage to get accepted on the bariatric program in the first place). Anyway,  I had lost 10lbs over those two weeks which was obviously enough as they went ahead but I'm really glad now I wasn't too complacent
  • Posted

I had to do a 6 mth course level 3 obesity....to learn about food, exercise, the treatments on offer, phycology of food etc and during that time I had to loose 5% of body weight.

Then everyone had to do pre op diet to shrink the liver (because op is laproscopic..they need your liver smaller, and floppy...so that they can move it out of the way to get to the stomach) I had to do it for 2 weeks but I know some had to do it for 3/4 weeks. It is so restrictive because liver stores fat and sugar.

I lost 11lbs in 2 weeks.

Tough but I was told they wouldn't do the op if you don't stick to it. Their only alternative is to do open surgery which they won't do. Also its a sign that you are mentally prepared for the life altering changes you are going to have to make post op.

Good luck.

• Posted

Do you mind if i ask if you had yours done on the NHS. Ive noticed that if you go private they dont really do any of that stuff! I guess they dont care as its not their money going into it!!
    • Posted

Yes I had to do this too. It actually took me 3 years from requesting band referral to actually getting it done. Another 3 years on not lost anything because band wasn't right and after constant requests and checks have now had portsite adjustment because band and port were not sitting properly.

6 years wasted. my gp wouldn't refer so i had to get my hospital consultant for other illness to get go to refer me.

Hopefully lose some now

• Posted

Yes it was on the NHS. Your BMI had to be above 40 and you have to talk to the right GP.

I'm under a research program looking into the best op...band or bypass....I had band. They look after you for a minimum of 3 years, which may increase to 5 years by the time I get to there.

They really want to inform you of all the pros and cons, plus set you up on how to manage your food post op. They really realise that the majority of us eat due to emotional and addictive attitudes to food. No good just having op and think I'm cured. Op only going to aid you if you change your life and make it happen.

Good luck.

Sorry not meaning to preach ....I've got a long way to go...but really believe that you need all the support to succeed.

• Posted

No i believe support and understanding is needed but i cant get on one the NHS so im having to pay im afraid 😕
  • Posted

I had to do a pre op diet for 2 weeks

- 6 pints semi skimmed milk a day

- 1 salty drink a day

- 1 sachet of sugar free jelly a day

Doing this would obviously mean you will lose weight, my consultant said that he has some people that do the pre op diet but obviously don't stick to it as they had only lost a little weight or none at all, he then cancels their op on the day as it is dangerous due to the liver and also shows they are not committed and could cheat the band the other end!

• Posted

Hi Greg

I had mine at the yorkshire clinic on Tuesday.  I completed the pre op and I was allowed real food.  I mixed it up as I was actually gagging on the eggs after day 3.  So I swapped them for more chicken and this is what I did and I was fine.

I bought a nutribullit  and drank 2 per day, mixture of spinach,kale,blueberries and lemon juice to get my fibre.  1 drank 1 for breakfast and ate 50g roast chicken about 9.30am.   I had a small banana about 11am (you can have any fruit).  Lunch 1pm another nutribullit 60g roast chicken and a nectarine.  3pm small green apple and 50g roast chicken. 7pm small tin of weight watchers soup or 260g of game soup (Campbells really low fat) mixed in 2 spoons of curry powder, 2 tablespoons of green beans and 60g roast chicken. I drank loads of sparkling water and low cal sugarfree juice [robinsons].  I lost exactly a stone.  It works eating little and often stops you feeling sick and light headed,  First 3 days were tough and then after day 4 I felt energised!!.  For me I'm 4 days post op, its harder now as I am fluids only, I can honestly say that I'm bored of protein powder milk shakes, plus its really hard to get your head around the small portions 150g you are literally constantly drinking fluids or shakes.

Any way good luck you can do it!!! If I can anyone can!!!

• Posted

Hi, I did the milk diet for 5.5 weeks and lost 14kg. I'm now meant to be on a refeed low calorie diet where I only have 2 x 400 calorie meals a day plus 2 pints of milk. The fat in my diet plan is almost non existant. I have to maintain my current weight or lose more in order to get my surgery date.

I wish I had stayed on the milk diet as I found that easier than the one I'm trying to do now. I put on a kilo as soon as I went back on to food, although this has stayed the same for over 2 weeks.

I'm feeling guilty as I'm really struggling and have cheated today. I know I will be different if I ever have the surgery. I'm worried that I will be turned down as I've gone off the rails a little.

I'm not sure if this replied has helped at all, I wish you all the best with your journey.

• Posted

I forgot to mention, I had to lose 5% of my body weight with the milk diet. I believe this is standard procedure for the Luton NHS team.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.