Pred & vaccinations

Posted , 13 users are following.

My surgery has offered me a shingles vaccination but when I checked it looked as if both live and dead vaccines don’t mix with Pred. Anyone had experience of this while taking Pred? Seeing my GP next week abd I like to be forewarned! He’s lovely but doesn’t know everything! 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had the shingles in February this year and they were very unpleasant, my Dr. said the dead vaccination is no problem for patients on Prednisone,  I am going to have it towards end of the year, as I would not like to contract the Shingles again.

I have been left with after effects from the Shingles in one arm which I can tolerate, though some aftereffects I believe can be quite severe and last the rest of your life.

take care,

Tracey

ps I am now receiving these emails which I have not received for the past 3 weeks, thank you to the Moderator who possibly made this happen.

• Posted

It isn't the pred that is worrying people - although it could suppress a good response to the vaccine in either case - but the potential effect on an already deranged immune system. 

• Posted

Doesn't this mean, then, that the already only partly useful annual flu shot is even less useful for those on pred?

• Posted

Theoretically yes. But however small the immune response triggered, it means the body has met it before and is better able to respond when you do get the flu. 
  • Posted

Celia, I contracted PMR after my first shingles vaccine, did the vaccine cause the PMR, I don't know, but I am not going to get the new one. My immune system is already compromised why stress it. No thanks I pass with a smile.??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.