Predisolone

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi

My husband is reducing predisolone, he is very tired and has no interest in most things, he has no energy at all, doctor is doing more tests, what can I do to help him .

Thanks

Junie

0 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

you can do what u r doing now. being there to support him, and of course working with his medical advise. if that is not working perhaps think of a 2nd opinion. but 'being there' and doing your best is fundamental. take care and good luck

• Posted

If he's down to such a low dose after only 9 months, then I suspect he has reduced the dose too quickly, although men do seem to have an easier time than women.

How is he managed?  Does he have regular blood tests?

• Posted

Yes he has regular tests, doc was talking about sertraline, he is not depressed , just no energy at all,
  • Posted

I find that ginger and ginseng tea help with energy. Simmer sliced ginger root (and water) for a couple of hours. ladle off 1/2 cup and add 1/2 cup of boiling water to a mug. add a teaspoon of powdered ginseng. 
  • Posted

Did the doctor check his adrenal glands are working OK? 
    • Posted

When your husband took 15mg pred for PMR it takes over the work of the adrenal glands, they have to start working again at around 7mg or so. Most people then get very tired because of this. At 1mg or even higher, it is normal to check the adrenal glands are working OK, although a lot of doctors do not bother.
    • Posted

Will check this at doctors

Thanks so much

• Posted

It takes quite a while to do as you have to give saliva tests throughout the day, so a good book is an idea. 
    • Posted

Oh, then I know he has not had that done.

Did not realise that was the test, will be contacting his GP

Thank you

Junie

• Posted

If you have a synacthen stimulation test done at the hospital it isn't usually saliva samples, it is more likely to be blood samples. You have a blood sample taken at 9am after having not taken any pred for the 24 hours previously to get a baseline level of cortisol in the blood. Then they give you an injection that stimulates the adrenal glands to produce cortisol and take another sample to see if they have done so. That is a short test - there is a longer version where they take another couple of samples at intervals. One lady who had it done simply went to sleep and was woken up after they'd finished! 

The extreme fatigue does sound as if he may have reduced the dose so fast that they body hasn't caught up - once you have been on moderate dose pred for 2 or 3 months the adrenal function is compromised and takes some time to return below 7mg. As ptolemy says, good doctors check this for patients who have been on pred for long but many believe the patient has to be off pred before it can be done. Not so, you just interpret the result differently. But it should be done for anyone who gets below 5mg on a really slow reduction and finds the fatigue gets worse instead of better.

Good luck persuading the GP - I'm struggling to talk mine round! But if he is difficult ask to see an endocrinologist.

Sorry I'm late to the party - I didn't get a notification!

• Posted

Hi Eileen

We have an appointment on Tuesday with GP.

Will ask to be referred to endocrinologist.

Thank you so much you are very helpful

Junie

• Posted

When I try to reduce my steroids I also experience exhaustion and a feeling of not being able to even attempt go do an easy task .. walking over 30 feet makes my legs feel like I walked 5 miles .. plus I can't breathe .. so I've told my doctor I don't want to reduce down to that point .. I know the side effects of steroids but I'm 74 and I want quality of life not quantity of years .. so he needs to make this choice for himself .. but he needs to research the steroids side effects before making this decision ..
    • Posted

20mg .. will try to get down to 15 in 2 months time .. if I can .. but I have many issue at 20mg from Oct to April .. when it warms up I don't have as many issues and can function without steroids
    • Posted

Yes was down to 7 and had a bad flare up as soon as it got colder .. starting all over again .. going down real slow .. but if 20mg is what I need in colder weather than so be it ..
    • Posted

You poor thing having to increase so much. I have increased from 7mg to 10 mg not because of a flare as such but because I have had the most awful sciatica, so the steroids helped reduce the inflammation. I tried to reduce to 9mg and was in total agony, so am stuck at 10mg at the moment. I do feel very stiff even at that dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.