Prednislone

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I am on day 4 of taking Prednislone 30mg and have 1 days left, this drug has reduced my pain, swelling and stiffness but I am still suffering with the pain, swelling and stiffness but in a smaller scale . I am awaiting my rhuematolagist appt, and I only have 1 dose left and then my five day course has finished.

I'm worried my symptoms have just been masked by the steroid and that they are going to come back sad

Anyone had anything similar ?

3 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there I am really surprised your rheaumatologist isn't tapering the predisolone you shouldn't just come off 30 mg please check this with him

• Posted

It was a 5 day course from my Gp, I have just got my rheumatoid appt through for the 22nd march
    • Posted

It's only those who are on longer term Pred. that have to taper carefully. Your GP would have made very sure you are ok to stop.

• Posted

I too was put on a short course and was instructed to take full dose for part of the time but then half dose for a couple of days, then quarter dose, then none.  My GP told me quite specifically not to stop suddenly but to taper off.
  • Posted

Had a phone call from my Gp who has told me to take the pred 30mg for 10 days now.
    • Posted

Please make sure you taper down under no circumstances should you just come off these seek further advice other than your gp if she doesn't advise this

• Posted

I haven't been told to taper rolleyes just to take 30 mg for 10 days and then stop

• Posted

Recommend you check with the physician but up to two weeks should be fine with no tapering.
    • Posted

The reason for tapering after being on prednisone for several weeks is because your adrenal glands will have stopped producing the cortisol you need.  A short trial of prednisone will not have time to do that.  However, if for whatever reson you do end up on long term steroid therapy tapering becomes very important.  Most of the people on the PMR/GCA forum are there because we are on long term therapy and need to taper very carefully.  This is not your case at present so don't let us scare you!

• Posted

Okay, I'm hoping that just 10 days at 30mg should be okay, really appreciate your support x

• Posted

Great to get from your GP the right thing to do!

Take care

iellen

• Posted

I take Pred since I was diagnosed of GCA there are 3 years. I am very careful with the taperings- we must follow our own system besides the results of the markers shown on the results of the blood work.

Recently my Rheumy prescribed 2 Mg of Pred when I was taking 24 MG. The result of this quick tapering was a disaster!

To exchange experiences let us learn - to participate on this Forums is a great thing to do.

Take care

🌷

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.