Prednisolone and Irritable bowel syndrome

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I have had PMR for a year now. Started at 30mg and tapered to 7mg. Unfortunately had a bit of a flare so went back to 10mg when I was last good.

Now on 9mg and will cut down again soon.

My question is this,having suffered with IBS for many years and have coped with the tummy upsets associated with it has anyone experienced more bowel pain and very painful wind in the tummy since being on Prednisolone? 

I do take yoghurt , am on Lansoprosole and try to watch my diet so I am baffled as to this turn of events,

Barbara

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I also have increased stomach problems with pred. I buy empty gel capsules ( you can get them from amazon ) break the tablet in halves and put in the capsules. it does help a lot. And I take Ranitidine.
    • Posted

I ordered the smaller empty gel capsules from Amazon today.  I hope, it will help.  

• Posted

Remember the pred may then take longer to work - it won't be absorbed quickly from the stomach - it will move further down the gut first. Enteric coated (which is the same thing) may take up to 5 hours or more to be absorbed. 

• Posted

I take 6 1/4 (trying to reduce ever so slowly) prednisone at night --- it will take until morning to work which is okay.
    • Posted

Please can you tell me what size is needed for a prednisone tablet?
    • Posted

It depends on the country and the pharmacy to some extent. In the UK prednisolone cames in 1 and 5mg if uncoated, 1, 2.5 and 5 if enteric coated. In the USA prednisone comes in 5mg and 1mg I think as well as 10 and even higher but they are rarely used for PMR. Medrol comes in 4 and 8mg plain tablets. 
  • Posted

Hi . Just joined this forum. I have just been diagnosed with poly myalgia and I also have IBS. Thought it important to say lansaprozole makes IBS worse for a lot of people. Took 2 years to find this out. Ranitidine much better.

Started taking prednisolone and IBS worse so interested to read other people have found the same.

Shirley

• Posted

Yes Shirley,I do believe you are correct. I have some quite painful spasms re IBS ( in fact did not sleep much last night as was having pain)  I think too the pred makes IBS worse. I am on Lansoprosole for reflux problems,but I might ask my doctor about the Ranitidine on my next visit.

I wonder if it is the fluid retention with the pred that causes so much 'burbulance' and therefore

spasms. 

Barbara

• Posted

It's something we at the PMR charities say a LOT to people - the PPIs have a reputation for unpleasant side effects but their reps have done a magnificant job of telling the world they are SOOOOO much better than ranitidine. They aren't...

• Posted

Oh - and a PS - do post this as a new thread, this is 5 months old and won't be seen by newer members of the group.

• Posted

I have been on pred for 21/2 yrs and also have IBS . I cannot say the pred made it worse- actually it’s better.  I found lanzoprazole gave me terrible gas where I couldn’t even sleep. I’m not sure we can blame every symptom on pred. The medications to protect our stomach, while taking pred, have their own side effects. I usually take as a preventative famotidine which is a histamine 2 acid blocker like ranitidine. If I get heartburn I take a short course of omeprazole which is a proton pump inhibitor like lanzoprazole without the grassiness. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.