Prednisolone and Irritable bowel syndrome

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I have had PMR for a year now. Started at 30mg and tapered to 7mg. Unfortunately had a bit of a flare so went back to 10mg when I was last good.

Now on 9mg and will cut down again soon.

My question is this,having suffered with IBS for many years and have coped with the tummy upsets associated with it has anyone experienced more bowel pain and very painful wind in the tummy since being on Prednisolone? 

I do take yoghurt , am on Lansoprosole and try to watch my diet so I am baffled as to this turn of events,

Barbara

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes Barbara, I have been on Pred for 2.5 years and have experienced increased stomach discomfort and colon spasms.   I have been on Omerprazole and Ranitidine on and off for 12 years or so because of stomach ulcers and Helicobactor Pylori.   Since starting Pred I have had gastritis with sometimes very painful or uncomfortable stomach problems.   It is pretty uncomfortable at the moment.

My gastroenterologist told me that the uncoated Pred was very likely to cause me problems, and it certainly has !  I always take it with food, but it doesnt seem to help always.   I see a dietician from time to time and try to stick to the Fodmap diet.

I am sorry I cannot be of any help to you, but I can empathise.  I am sure there are others out there who have the same problems and may have some suggestions.  I shall be interested also to read them.  Good luck !

• Posted

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply. I don't feel so alone now. It's awful that the tablet which is controlling one problem ie  PMR is giving us other problems to contend with.

I am seeing my doctor next week and I am going to ask for a trial on the coated tablets to see if it will help.

Barbara

• Posted

Hello Barbara, Iwas diagnosed 3.2016. put on Omeprazole then Ranitidine for indigestion which resulted from fairly high dose pred.            I requested enteric coated prednisolone which has allowed me to come off above meds with no further indigestion. I still get slightly upset gut though occ'.

on reading drug leaflet I noted we should not really be on PPI's or H2Blockers for too many months but people seem to stay on them for an age! 

They can affect Kidneys too 

they might cost a bit more overall at higher doses but hopefully that is negated by coming off the PPI's etc

goodluck with your GP

• Posted

Hi Clare

Thanks for interesting reply. I have been on lansoprazole for years,more to do with reflux than anything else and it does seem to control that. I had my gall bladder removed 30 years ago and since then indigestion etc is more of a problem but since starting the pred it is much worse. On occasion I find that gaviscon is good too. I will definitely give the coated tablets a trial if I can get the doc to prescribe them.

Barbara

• Posted

Barbara, one of the known side effects of lanzoprazole and other PPIs is wind. For that reason I had to stop taking it and switch to an H2 blocker like Pepcid. I take the maximum dose of 40mg 2x a day . This protects my stomach and the wind is pretty much gone. I also have IBS. 
    • Posted

Thanks Karen,

I had not thought the Lanzoprosole a problem before now but you have given me food for thought.

Barbara

• Posted

Is that what's causing all the extra wind. I was blaming it on the Prednisone!  Good grief!

I'm on 8 mg now and in ten days I get to decrease to 7.  My rheumatologist told me that at 7 mg, I'll begin to see a change in my weight, moon face, etc.  I'm looking forward to that, even though I know it will take time and not happen overnight. 

Getting back to the wind issue, I have noticed that by eating smaller meals, it does help wind and stomach problems.  I, too, have had IBS for many decades.  

Good luck to us for better days ahead!

• Posted

Hello

I also have had IBS for years and a reflux problem which runs in my family so I have also taken a PPI for years. Likewise when first taking prednisolone I had a painful stomach - even with the PPI. Given enteric coated tabs are not available (why I don't know) in Australia I have persisted eating a small (watching weight) bowl of oatmeal every morning to 'line' my stomach before taking the pred. That has seemed to work - altho enteric coated would likely be easier if you can get them where you are. I have found in fact eating smaller meals frequently and less at night has helped with digestion quite a lot - another 'side effect' of taking the tabs (ha ha !)

Good luck with resolving this.

• Posted

Thanks Rimmy,

Like you I take a bowl of oats before the Pred. I do find the oats sit quite comfortably in the tummy. I think I will try the small and often tip regarding meals and try not to have anything after 7pm. Anything is worth a try isn't 

it.

Barbara

• Posted

Hi Barbara

Some people with IBS are unable to tolerate lactose.  I wonder if this is the case with you...  Prednisolone contains lactose.  I have lactose intolerance and need to take lactase enzyme with my Prednisolone, otherwise I experience wind and stomach upsets. Just a thought...

Good luck with finding the answer and having relief from your problem - as if we didn't have enough to contend with!

Claire

• Posted

Thanks Claire I don't think I am Lactose intolerant but you never know really do you. You could have a good point there.

Barbara

• Posted

Is this new? Are you sure it isn't the lansoprazole - that can be a side effect of some PPIs.

However - PMR and IBS-type symptoms CAN be a symptom of coeliac disease - and it can develop in advanced age! My friend was diagnosed in his late 50s!

And you may be interested in this thread from 6 years ago: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/stomach-problems-and-steroids-34382

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

I have often wondered about coeliac disease. I think the answer to that is gluten free diet isn't it. I will go to the link you posted and have a read.

Barbara

• Posted

I put my pred in enteric coated capsules, they work great. Before I did that my heartburn was so bad my dr sent me to a cardiologist. I've read that the ppi's aren't good for long term use, and I didn't want to be on a pill to counteract the pred side effects.  I get 1000 on eBay for a few dollars.

• Posted

This is a very good idea.  Thank you for the information!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.