Pregabalin Withdrawal Timescale and Symptoms

Posted , 52 users are following.

I have been on 600mg Pregabalin for 2 years for muscle spasms in the back as a result of the muscles in the left lumbar region apparently distrophying.  

I have been warned about hyperalgesia syndrome and have been trying to self withdraw from the drug.  300mg per day to start with and achieved with fairly severe side effects but were alleviated within three weeks.  And now I have gone cold turkey for two of the most physically horrible weeks possible - intense pain, nausia, lethargy and foggyness, sickness and depression.  

Im sticking at it as it has to be worth it - has anyone else done similar with same quantities?

6 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I was prescribed 25mg of

Pregabalin to be taken at night time for pelvic and back pain. The first time i took it i slept through the night without pain but was very tired, mazzy in my head, couldn't focus the next day. I thought this would pass but no change. I cry and depressed. I've been on it for nine days and I decided to go off it cold turkey. The effects I have now are tremors, heaviness in the chest, tired, thirsty and shaky. I would never recommend this drug. I wished I did my research on this drug or I wouldn't of taken it. From now on I will do my homework on meds before in ingest them. PLEASE ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS DOCTORS ARENT GODS, IT IS OUR CHOICE!

• Edited

I had been on Pregabalin 300mg BD for about 10 years (so 600mg daily), went cold turkey off it a month ago. I never knew it was possible to feel so horrendous but managed to persist with it. The very worst was over in about a fortnight, I felt pretty bad for another week and now after a month I feel good and happy to have done it. I still have quite a lot of tingling and itching but am starting to sleep again (the insomnia was awful) and all the other symptoms of withdrawal have stopped.
    • Posted

l have been on pregabalin 75mg every night over one year, and 6 days trying to get off this awful drug cold turkey.

this has been the most terrible experience in my life. l itch all over my body, and the burning is unbelievable.

l need some words of hope Do you think this withdrawal torture will go away?

• Posted

I was on 300mg Pregablin in the morning and the same at night for about three years. 

I had some spare 200mg capsules, about ten I think so I dropped down to 200mg, day and night until they were gone and then I just went cold turkey. For the first five days cold turkey it was horrific, I was itchy, irritable, tearful, in a lot of pain and nearly went back on the Pregablin many times. 

I stuck with it though and within a few weeks I felt it was out of my system and now I am just managing my pain with paracetamol and naproxen and my anxiety is ok. 

I am glad that I have done it. My mind was so foggy on it. I was just in a world of my own and now my mind is clear and that feels great. 

It was hard, really really hard but definitely worth it for me. 

• Posted

I was prescribed 100mg pregabalin for 5 weeks, then felt better and came off it rather abruptly in January 2023. It was for fibro myalgia type pain, which resolved. Trouble is I have been getting depressive waves since then, and still getting them after 7 months, which is peculiar as Ive never had that before. I was wondering if you are still off drug and whether you have any depression still? Interested to hear other stories on this

• Edited

Hi Paula,

It is not advisable to come off Pregabalin so quickly.

I was on 600mg a day and started reducing 25mg every 2 weeks. I have found this to be acceptable to my body and my GP has supported this,

Just my experience anyway. Good luck with your reduction plan

Take care

• Edited

Hey how are you?

sorry for late reply, I have had a spell in hospital, but back home now.

• Posted

I think they have removed the private messaging link.

• Posted

You can try, but then everybody will see your email too. I am not sure if they will block it.

How are you anyway?

• Posted

not having much luck are we? maybe try my 'about me' !

ive just got a job and finished college actually!!

• Posted

Hi Jem,

that's great news about getting a job, how's it going?

I am trying to do a bit of detective work now to work out where to put this about me!

Just as a suggestion, try my name and you will see my pic too!

• Posted

Hi Jem

How are you?

How is work going?

• Posted

Hmm,, maybe try my 'about me'?? It's just the bit where you put your bio/description on your profile if that makes sense. I just got my exam results back last week and by miracle of miracles I managed to pass all of them!! I'm looking for a second job to boost my hours and its become quite chaotic with job offers and interviews all over the place. What have you been up to?

• Posted

Hi Jem

Well the "about me" I understand but don't know what media you are using with it.

Congrats on your exam results and getting a job! Same here, I have had lots of interviews and job offers too:-D

I keep getting chest infections, which annoys me as I can't exercise like I used to 😦

If the about me is email I have no way of knowing the last bit! I am trying honestly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.