pregnancy and medication

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 24 and my partner is 31 and we really want to try for a baby. I'm on pregabalin and I really don't think I'm ready to come off or at least have nothing and be alone but I don't know what to do. I went to the doctors yesterday and they told me I had to come off my tablets as they can cause deformation on babies. Is there nothing else I can take? I know some people will say its not time to have kids if I suffer from anxiety but I feel once I have something to concentrate on I can help myself. I'm just scared of going cold turkey.

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know this may not be what you want, but have you thought about complementary remedies like reiki and meditation? Might be worth a try.x
    • Posted

What's Reiki? I listen to guided meditation when I cant sleep and that's amazing! I'm willing to try anything. I want a family so badly and I don't want this stopping from another thing I want to do. X
    • Posted

Reiki is energy. Simple and safe. Are you in the UK?
  • Posted

Yeah I live in England. X
    • Posted

Sorry, my comment is a website. If you google reiki association you will find it.x

• Posted

It Sai its being moderated so it will come through but I will google it thank you. X
  • Posted

Going cold turkey will just probably make you feel worse am only 24 too i went cold turkey and i thought i was ok but these last few months it's started coming back so i went to the doctor and got back on them ide wean yourself off them and maybe try some kalms there a herbal remedie u can buy these from asda or a chemist hope everything works out ok for you but what ever you do don't stop straight away trust me biggest mistake i ever made x
    • Posted

I have half my tablets today and I'm doing ok so far but the doctor wants me to be on one a day by the end of the week. So it is weaning myself off but very quickly. Thank you. X
  • Posted

I feel that your doctor was perfectly correct in advising you to come off Pregabalin if you are intending to become pregnant, and your doctor should be in the best position to advise you of an alternative medication that you could use in these circumstances, if in fact there are any.

One thing that might help you is counselling, so maybe you could suggest this to your doctor as an interim measure?

• Posted

I already see a counsellor but she doesn't think I should have a baby as she thinks I'm doing it for the wrong reasons (I have some family stuff going on). I'm just scared that if i come completely off Il be like I was when I was really bad and that was pretty much starving myself to death.
    • Posted

It isn't up to your counsellor if you want a baby, in fact I would consider that to be an unwarranted intrusion into a completely private matter.

The only point your cousellor is making that might hold water is why you want to have a baby now and not wait until your health improves.

At the end of the day it is up to you, but whichever way you look at it there has to be a trade-off.

If you do want to get pregnant then you have to come off medications like Pregabalin, but you risk falling into a depression again without them..

On the other hand if you remain as you are with the medications and do not attempt to get pregnant, will the pressure of not doing what you want to do have the same effect?

I really don't know what to advise you on this one - I wish I could.

• Posted

I'm fed up of my anxiety ruining everything in my life and i suppose if i never try Il never know. I may get to bad before I even get pregnant and have to stop trying or I may get pregnant and have to fight through it but then I get a baby at the end. Il talk to the doctor more about an alternative, especially if I get pregnant and start struggling. X
    • Posted

You Cakey are the only person on this planet who has the right to make the final decision, but whatever you decide I wish you every success and happiness with it. x
  • Posted

I am also going to be trying for a baby on the next few months, and am on venlafaxine, but I talked to my doctor and he said there was an ssri/ssni that I can take when pregnant which isn't harmful to your baby when pregnant. I would have a chat with your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.