pregnancy and medication

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 24 and my partner is 31 and we really want to try for a baby. I'm on pregabalin and I really don't think I'm ready to come off or at least have nothing and be alone but I don't know what to do. I went to the doctors yesterday and they told me I had to come off my tablets as they can cause deformation on babies. Is there nothing else I can take? I know some people will say its not time to have kids if I suffer from anxiety but I feel once I have something to concentrate on I can help myself. I'm just scared of going cold turkey.

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think my doctor suggested Fluoxetine which is the least harmful drug when pregnant. Hope this helps x
    • Posted

Thank you, this is helpful. Especially knowing there is someone else who is trying for a baby in the same frame of mind as me. I will look in to this thank you. X
    • Posted

Let me know how u get on hun, be interested to see what your doctor says. If u ever need to talk, just message me, keep us both motivated knowing we are in the same situation. smile xx
  • Posted

I wish you guys both the best, but just remember being pregnant it self can be very stressful.  Most women have healthy, normal pregnancies but for me mine was a nightmare.  I lost a twin early into the pregnancy then told that I would probably lose the remaining baby as well.  My whole pregnancy was filled with ultrasounds, speciliast appointments, geneic counselling ... well you get the drift.  Also, the father walked away because he didn't want the stress of dealing with a disabled child (his words). I don't want to scaremonger but if something does go wrong do you think you are in a strong enough position mentally and emotionally to deal with it?  My case was pretty rare but it is just something to think about.  
    • Posted

On a post note, despite all the above I now have a beautiful little girl that I just love to bits and has turned by life around.
    • Posted

The farther was not worthy of the baby then. Well done for going through all that and coming out the other side. I actually work with adults with disabilities so I feel like I would be educated in that respect. I also feel like this makes me more nervous as I'm so aware of what disabilities are out there. May I ask though, were your complications caused by anxiety? It is just I understand that some meds can affect a baby but what affect does stress have on one? I know you shouldn't get stressed when your pregnant but is there any lasting damage if you do? X
    • Posted

My daughter is nine now and back then I didn't suffer from anxiety and depression, that reared it's head three years ago.  My daughter has Phelan-McDermid Syndrome, it is extremely rare, only 500 people in the world have it.  It's when genetic material is missing from Chromosome 22.  It was just one of those freak things that happen I guess with no real cause.  She is a beautiful, happy child though and I don't regret a day that I had her.  I haven't seen her Father since I was pregnant and I didn't put his name on the birth certificate so she has my surname.  I have no regrets about him walking away.
    • Posted

He obviously wasn't worth being a dad, sounds like your better off with out him! Your doing a great job on your own and he probably would of dragged you down. X
    • Posted

My concerns were more for my daughter and how he would have treated her.  I know he would have gotten very frustrated by the fact she can't speak or feed or dress herself.  I think the reason my daughter is such a happy child is because she has been brought up in a loving, warm environment.  Despite how bad my depression or anxiety got over the last three years my love and care for my daughter never wavered.  I think she's been my cornerstone, is that the saying?
  • Posted

Update: This is really not going well, I went my first 24 hours without tablets yesterday and iv gone back to square one. I don't want to eat and drink anything and I'm shaking and I cant stop crying because I cant do it. Iv taken my tablets again but the haven't started working yet. What if I never manage, all I want is a family. X
    • Posted

Oh sweetie. (((hugs))) to you. Can you get outside for a walk? Try to distract yourself if you can. I wish I could make you a cup of tea and chat to you. Talking really helps you to focus.x
    • Posted

I tied going out to do some weeding but I didn't last very long. I got all dizzy and had to come in side. I listened to my meditation video to get me to sleep last night but I just want to go back to how I was. X
  • Posted

You will get there hun, it just takes time, just try to remember why u are doing it and keep yourself busy so u aren't thinking about things. Xx
    • Posted

Trying smile. Just want to eat, I'm gunna go back to the doctors. Done some googling of meds that don't harm the fetus. There are some that are very low risk so gunna ask the doc about them. Thanks for the support guys, my family are against me getting pregnant. Xx
    • Posted

Just snack if you can't eat a whole meal. That always helped with me. Yes I did Google low risk tablets too and when I spoke to the doctor he suggested a couple, so don't worry there is something out there that u can take if u need help with your anxiety through pregnancy. Xx
    • Posted

my friend is on prozac and something else for OCD and she is pregnant and already has a daughter and they are doing great so i feel a bit better now. She reccomended talking to a pediatric consultant as they have more info on tablets you can use plus they help mother and baby get through not just one or the other. Xx
    • Posted

Ah really that's good, see knew there was something u can take smile I might talk to a paediatric nurse too then. Are u going to make an appointment? X
    • Posted

When I go back to the doctors I'm gunna see if they can refer me, that way I can get seen quicker. Feeling a bit more positive, even eaten a few biscuits. X
    • Posted

Still very shaky, but thank you for asking it means a lot!
    • Posted

Big (((hugs))) Feel free to message me if you need a sympathetic ear.x
    • Posted

Thank you, I don't want to be a pain in the bum though. X
    • Posted

That is one thing you could never be sweetie.x
    • Posted

That's a good idea smile let me know how u go. Glad u are feeling more positive about it all now xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.