Preparation for bladder prolapse surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Can someone please share the preparation for this surgery especially the day before. I'm wondering if you have to clean out your colon, etc.   I'm so scared but I know I have to do this.  Thanks. 

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi nobody said to me about emptying my tummy ,but I made sure I went to loo day before because I didt want t straight after op ,so think it would help . Don't be scared the Dr,s and nurse will look after you just remember to do what your told and rest ,good luck x
    • Posted

Hi maccy

I was not rold by the doctors to do any bowel cleansing prior to surgery. This was my second one and no request. So I have o say no. You don't need to cleanse. I didn't

• Posted

I didn't but if you suffer from constipation I would advise using a stool softener for a few days before and you may need it a couple of days after till thing start working properly. I have Crohn's disease so for once it worked in my favour and I had no problems !! Good luck
    • Posted

I was told about a stool softener for after the surgery but it probably won't hurt anything to do it a few days before too.  I don't really suffer from constipation.  Thanks!  
  • Posted

the bowel preparation is usually before a bowel prolapse 
    • Posted

I agree but the last thing you want is feeling like you need to strain after surgery
    • Posted

As long as you aren't constipated you will be ok. If your surgeon wants you to have a bowel preparation he'll prescribe one but as someone who was a ward sister on a gynaecology ward I know there is no need for any prescribed bowel preparation prior to a bladder repair. If you were constipated you would be given a small enema in hospital.
  • Posted

I was the told not to eat anything solid the day before my surgery an to add miralax to my drink the day before an to do a enema the morning on the day of my surgery but I had rectocele sugery it might have been because alot of my surgery involved my rectum it wasnt bad you can't even taste the miralax but I was hungry the morning after surgery dont worry everything will be fine good luck on your surgery
    • Posted

That's the other thing I was wondering about is what do you eat the day before?   Thank you!  
    • Posted

Eat normally. There's no reason why you can't. You'll be told by the hospital staff when you are nil by mouth.
    • Posted

I guess surgeons have different approaches - even though I had rectocele surgery I had no prep whatsoever.  So ask your surgeon.
    • Posted

I didn't either but that was 5 years ago. A friend had a rectocele repaired last year and had to take Movicol for 2 weeks before her operation.
    • Posted

My surgery was at the end of December 2014.  No bowel prep.  In fact the doctor said something like "I'm not even going to need to go in there". 
    • Posted

That's so true Raesue. Gone are the days when every patient had to have an enema before surgery and I mean any surgery. Even if you were having an ear, nose or throat operation. It became an obsession which thankfully doesn't happen any more. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.