Preparation for bladder prolapse surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Can someone please share the preparation for this surgery especially the day before. I'm wondering if you have to clean out your colon, etc.   I'm so scared but I know I have to do this.  Thanks. 

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Frances13101,

I didn't have surgery for bladder problems - I had bowel problems so my vaginal surgery was posterier.  However, some of this may apply...  Unless your surgeon gives you specific instructions, you probably do not need to do a bowel cleanse.  I wondered about that myself and asked - they said it was not needed.  Relief.  It would be the same prep as for a colonoscopy, I suppose.  But again, check with your surgeon or his/her nurse.  Also ask if you need anything special for after the surgery.  I needed a lot of ice packs - to put them on externally.  Also I was told to do baths in Epsom salts, so you may want to have some on hand.  Baby wipes are helpful.

But again, please consult your surgeon or his/her staff.  I didn't know about the after-care needs.

• Posted

Another note - Even if you don't need to cleanse your colon before surgery buy some Miralax.  You might use it before surgery to make sure things are moving smoothly and then if you need it you might start taking it right after surgery, too.  I didn't have a bowel movement for 5 days after surgery (I don't know why - it's not usually a problem for me) and it hurt quite a bit.  Well, more than quite a bit.  I took enough Miralax over several days (as well as stool softeners and fiber drink).that I finally had relief.
    • Posted

I have written down to get Miralax, I have never used this before.  
    • Posted

It's way more effective than I first thought.  The "lax" in "Miralax" is true...  But it takes a while to work if you're very constipated.  I speak from experience. :-)
  • Posted

Hi Francis, 

I am 5 1/2 weeks post-op for bladder prolapse (anterior) surgery. I live in the U.S.  My only instructions were not to eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery. I did not receive my instructions until 2 days prior to my surgery.

However, as others have suggested, you may want to use a mild laxative a few days before surgery ( NOT the night before). I have 2-3 regular BM's daily, but it always amazes me how much more you go when you take a laxative. After surgery, just like when you travel, our bowels are sluggish and I prefer to get a little clean out before, so it's not so difficult after surgery. Ask your surgeon's office and they should give you suggestions on products that are safe to use before surgery. The natural one I usually take was not allowed because some of the herbs in it have anticoagulant effects, which you would not want when having surgery. 

Relax, don't be afraid, it will be over before you know it. What you have to do is be sure to rest and take things slow afterwards so you don't undo or damage the surger sight. It is hard because you start to feel better and think you can do things, but if they say don't do it, DON'T DO IT! Some days you may have a pity party (lol) and feel like you are being lazy and it's frustrating, but your body needs this time to heal to get the best results possible. Be sure to have books to read, movies to watch , etc... I make cards and scrapbooks and am just feeling up to it the last couple weeks.

I will keep you in my prayers.

God bless!

Trisha

• Posted

I live in the US also.   Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate your answering my request.  

Have you had any problems after surgery?   

Also, can I ask what they used to hold up your bladder?  My urogynecolist is using something called A Cell which comes from a cadaver.  She said it works well.   

Thanks.  

• Posted

This is my understanding of what they did:

"In most cases, a surgical cut is made through the front wall of your vagina.

Your bladder is moved back to its normal location.

Your vagina wall may be folded, or part of it may be cut away.

Sutures (stitches) are made in the tissue between your vagina and bladder. These will hold the walls of your vagina in the correct position."

I think the A cell sounds interesting.  Have you done any research on it? I would probably have tried it. I was told at my 2 week that I have some residual bladder drop, which makes me wonder if my tissue was not strong enough OR I messed something up the day I stood so much at a birthday party when I was only 1 week post-op...not a good decision on my part. Was sore for a few days and that's also when I felt my bladder was dropped. I am thankful that I didn't have mesh...I made sure of it this time, but I didn't have a clue when I had the posterior repair in my 20's...was just blessed the surgeon didn't use it.

I believe the only problems I've had were self inflicted by doing too much. My fresh bleeding stopped before 2 weeks and the residual with discharge stopped by about 16 days. That was another sign that I had when I would bend over or lift too much or stand too much...red blood. But again, I had nothing after 16 days. I did not have any urine leakage before or after surgery either. That area was very tender for the first few weeks but is okay now.

I was advised to use the bathroom every 2 hours around the clock and it feels soooo much better when you do. I am still going every 2-3 hours during the night and much more during the day. It keeps the pressure off the surgical site and makes it much easier to eliminate completely. If you wait, it can be very painful and cause stretching that you don't want and sometimes I can't go at all if I wait...it takes forever on & off to go. At night I set my phone alarm on a gentle setting, go to the bathroom (no lights to wake me up) and go back to bed and right back to sleep, no problem. 

I have my 6 week post-op appointment tomorrow and will find out exactly what they did...didn't think to ask many questions at my 2 week post-op appointment. Will let you know if different. 

Blessings!

• Posted

My urogyn said they tack up your bladder and put the A Cell tissue just under the bladder and it is all done vaginally.   I will have to spend the night in the hospital and maybe go home with a catheter.  

Yes, I have done a lot of research on the A Cell and it's not a mesh, thank goodness!   

I hope you didn't mess anything up by standing so much.  

Thank you for telling me to use the bathroom about every two hours.   I was not aware to do this.  

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. Let me know how you are doing.  By the way, I'm 66 and live in FL.   Thanks.  

• Posted

My surgery was done vaginally as well.

I hope I didn't mess it up too much but wonder if I caused the bladder drop. Regardless, it is much better now than it was. 

Using the bathroom every 2 hours was one of the few things I was told...most of my info came from my own research and ladies on this site. I feel the bathroom every 2 hours is as important as no lifting. 

I am 55 and am living in NC. We also have a home in IN.

Will update you tomorrow.

Sending you a private message too.

You are welcome!

• Posted

Thank you!  It helps a lot to talk to others who have done this and been through with prolapse.  God bless.  
    • Posted

...I was also told NO baths. They gave me the okay for baths, pool and ocean at 4 weeks.

I agree with many of the other comments on no bowel cleanse, but that is different that taking a laxative. 

Lot out of information to sort through. You have to do what you feel is right for you😀

blessings!

• Posted

Forgot to tell you my surgery was done as outpatient at a Outpatient Surgical Care Center. I only had the catheter during surgery. Woke up 15 minutes after surgery and had to go to the restroom. 😀 
    • Posted

So you didn't have to spend the night?   I will need to spend the night.  I was told they pack the area, I guess for bleeding.  
    • Posted

frances13101, I did have to spend the night - nurses brought cold packs every hour.  I didn't know I had packing - one of the things they didn't telll me - and also a catheter for a bit.  It's good to know these things ahead of time - not to worry about it - but so not to be surprised, I guess....
    • Posted

Did you have to go home with a catheter?  Yes, it's better to be prepared.  

How bad was the pain?   

• Posted

No they took the catheter out late that day or the next morning.  It's kind of a blur.  I just remember big relief when I finally went to the bathroom.  Just have pain killers at hand, and coldpacks (external).  They helped.  No one can tell you how bad the pain will be - it depends on your own pain tolerance.
    • Posted

TrishaP lynn53651 • 3 minutes ago6 WEEK POST-OP

Hello Frances & Ladies!

I had my 6 week post-op for anterior (bladder, cystocele) repair. My outpatient surgery was done vaginally, using my own tissue that supports the bladder. NO MESH or other materials used. The reason I had outpatient surgery was that I do not have health insurance and my doctor felt that I was in good enough shape and health that he was confident in performing my surgery at an outpatient surgical care center, 2 blocks from the hospital. The cost of everything was about 25% of what I had heard anterior repair surgery would be, so obviously that was a substantial saving to us.

I had all of my questions written down so that I wouldn't forget any...my doctor was pleased with that and took the time before the exam to listen. He answered what he could before the exam and met me in his office after the exam to finish answering the questions and inform me of my progress. 

I am telling you this so that you can be prepared at your appointments...if you ask the questions, they will answer them and you will get a lot more information regardless of where you are on your health journey. I did not ask many questions when I was diagnosed, I found most of my information on the Internet. At my 2 week post-op, I was completely unprepared and still had "med head" from the surgery, so basically didn't ask much. I was prepared this time.

My cystocele was a strong stage 3, pushing on stage 4 with a lot of pain pressure and problems with completely emptying my bladder. After surgery at my 2 week checkup, he said that I have some "residual bladder drop". After asking questions today, I now know that means I still have a stage 1 cystocele. The bulge is in the bottom of the bladder vs the top, which is good. He said even after removing excess tissue, pulling the tissue tight and stitching it, it still stretches because it's obviously, not new tissue. 

I have seen many comments about doing PELVIC FLOOR EXERCISES soon after surgery. I asked him if I should have been doing them and he said " NO, NOT UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY HEALED". So please check with your doctor before you start them. Maybe the decision is made on a case by case basis, or maybe the doctor's preference. I don't know, but I definitely don't want to go backwards or undo what surgery has done!

He removed the few remaining stitches that had not dissolved ( for comforts sake😀), and gave me the okay for bending, lifting, and walking. He said that pain will stop me if it's too much. He also gave me the okay for intercourse...my husband is working in another state right now, so I won't see how that goes for 5 more weeks. The up side to that is I have 5 more weeks of healing before I try it out! lol

I still have a lot of pressure in the groin area and problems eliminating if I don't go at the first urge. There is no infection 😀. He believes it's because I am not eliminating completely, so there is always pressure, so he gave me a prescription to use for one month to improve the emptying of the bladder. This should improve my comfort level tremendously! He still wants me up every 2 hours through the night to eliminate and keep the pressure off the bladder area while it continues to heal.

Some days are really good and some not so good. On the not so good days or days I know I will be on my feet a lot, I still use Lynn's garment to give me that extra support so I don't feel strained. The garment was designed for those who cannot or do not want surgery, BUT it gives much needed support to those of us that have had surgery and are healing. How many of you walked around the first couple weeks holding yourself and being thankful no one was there to see it? I know I did and was so happy to discover a support garment so I could walk around and not feel like I was falling out anymore.

Sorry if I rambled and gave too much information, but I know when I first came on this site, I wanted as much information as I could get. I am posting this on more than one discussion because different people on different discussions wanted an update.

I have another appointment in 4 weeks and hopefully all is completely healed at that time.  Thanks for reading and I pray all goes well for all of you, whatever stage of your journey you are at!

God bless!

Trisha

• Posted

No, I did not have packing, but the doctor applied some sort of cream very heavily in my vagina. I did not have very much bleeding, not even like a heavy period. I never Passed any clots either. When I had the RECTOCELE surgery, 30 years ago, they packed me with gauze and my bleeding was heavier then.
    • Posted

Hi Trisha, 

I'm so happy to hear that you had a great doctor visit and everything is going well for you!!!   I wish my surgery was behind me but hopefully I will have a good experience after it is all done too!   My prolapse is between a stage 3-4 also and I have issues emptying my bladder at times. 

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.  Take care. 

God bless!   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.