Preparing for lapidus

Posted , 8 users are following.

hey all this forum has been so helpful and encouraging to read.most forums gave me second thoughts and fears but this one just encourages me and gives me determination! so I am scheduled for a lapidus next Thursday and I'm going in wide eyed and nervous for recovery! I have a couple questions though.

1)how high does the foot need to be elevated and ballpark figure for how long to elevate it for?

2)I've found crutches to be surprisingly difficult! any suggestions on their use? and I am considering a knee scooter for back up as well but have heard it's easy to injure yourself on them.thoughts?

3) what is the stitch removal process like? what's done and what's the pain level?

4) has anybody had to go back to have some hardware that was out in removed?

1 like, 126 replies

126 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had Lapdius 8/28/15. I'm 13 days post op today. It actually wasn't as bad pain wise as I thought it would be. It never was above a 6. I stopped all pain meds on day 7 po. My stitches are dissolvable. Today 2 started burning which I learned is just them dissolving. I had a titanium plate and 4 screws put in to help my bone fusion. Mine will stay in provided my body accepts them. At this point, there's no sign they haven't. I was in a Jones splint for 7 days. Now I'm in a hard cast for 14 days. I'll move to a boot next. In 3 months, I'll be getting my left one done.

There's 2 groups on facebook about bunionectomies. One is called I survived a bunionectomy. Many members and active.

The second one I just started was Lapidus Bunionectomy. I started it because I've found in the first group, many have other procedures and vastly different outcomes. I'd love some of you to join so we can share our Lapidus experience and can post pictures of our changed feet.

Happy healing everyone!

• Posted

P.S. Nemo I really hope your surgery goes well today! Let us know when you feel up to it. Take your pain medication as scheduled. Don't fall behind so you can keep your pain managed. Good luck!
  • Posted

so I had the surgery yesterday and boy was I nervous! but I got some great numbing that lasted almost 24 hours and all I felt was as of my foot was asleep and tingly.well that wore off about 5 hours ago but the pain isnt quite paid. as it is discomfort.every now and then I just feel conscious of parts of my foot or my toe stings that's about it. my ankle has felt tight but I'm keeping it elevated with an ice pack under the knee and one testing on the ankle through the soft cast just invade its swelling pain.getting up and going to the bathroom or relocating from the bed to couch is not fun but you settle back in.oh and j started my time of the month today..so yay haha.but I'm only taking 1 1/2 perocet with 3 ibuprofen and it is working well SK far.I'm hoping to rely more on ibuprofen than the percocet.I've just been dozing on and off for the past two days and it hasn't been bad.thanks everyone for all your help and concerns.oh and one amazing friend of mine gave me a walker and shower seat to use.the walker has been so much easier than anything else.right after surgery I woke up and had to pee and used the Walker and loved it and was hungry and ate food and they let me go early because of all that so having a walker at home too has been really helpful for getting off the toilet and more stability.the crutches are a lot easier after a physical therapist came in after my surgery and helped me adjust them to the best spot.
    • Posted

Great to hear from you Nemo - on the road to recovery.  Each day is a step nearer.smile

P.S. I still find my shower seat useful, I used a walker so you are using two things on my list.  (No - I do not expect you to get a commodewink)

Maybe whilst you are getting better and if you have a bored moment perhaps compile a list of essentials and useful aids. It good be a useful link for people to dip into and add to.  (Caroline gave me hers and it really helped.)  

• Posted

yeah good idea I'll do that! my pain has really never gone past a 5.in my sleep I've wiggled my toes a couple times and it hurts but for a second.at i least can still wiggle them haha
    • Posted

You are doing so well and you can wiggle your toes - Wow! x
    • Posted

I can wiggle them! I choose to avoidant though haha but I'll wake up from moving them sometimes.doesn't feel best this early in haha.I'm in a splint with soft cast I'm pretty sure I'm getting a player cast tjesdsh or my stitches out.not sure which I ended up getting a plate with 6 screws so this will need to be taken out eventually.
    • Posted

I had the big splint cast for a week. Now I have a hard cast for 2 weeks.
    • Posted

The big splint had 22 layers. It was heavy. I liked the cast 8 days ago when I got it because it's not as heavy and air can get into my toes and leg now. I'm sick of it tonight because my ankle is stuck in dorsi flection as needed to put the cast on and I just want to stretch it out and I can't. My knee hurts from the weight of my cast because of the 23 hours of elevation. I also wish I could see my foot and I can only faintly see the tips of my toes. I guess after 15, almost 16 days of bedrest, I'm over it. I know it's not awful but I'm feeling very overwhelmed tonight.
    • Posted

Cast ? Was I missing out on something?

probably due to having both done at once, my feet were bandaged up like an Egyptian mummy, and I was given a pair of 'darco's' to hobble about in. Stiches out at 14 days, then Velcro splints for the next 4 weeks,baking with the darco's. Even Gilly had a storm troopers air boot.

i feel totally let down, but not to the extent of wanting to go back and have it

all done again!

girls, this op is going to effect you more mentally in the next coming weeks than it will do physically. Remember it's a long slow process, I'm 9 months on and I'm still not 'normal' although my husband will say I never was. The bones have been realigned,with the first metatarsal being broken, twisted and pinned into a new place. There is a lot going on down there, muscles have to sort themselves out, bones to be fused and knitted together and you're stuck with it - don't punish yourselves!

i can remember going through all the phases of expletives to describe what I did to myself, how I felt, and what I thought of the surgeon. It's normal. You'll only start to feel you're over it about the 6 months mark, a and then you'll still hurt.

just you wait - you'll have to build the wasted muscles after everything comes off, then the fun begins - not to mention the muscle aches and pains, and being shattered after walking for a mile.

enjoy the downtime when you can, don't rush it and patience.

kaliana & Nemo, there's a long way to go still

caroline

• Posted

yeah I want to see my foot so bad! its weird not being able to I can only dee the tips but the big toe has a dressing over it.someone told me it looked like swelling went down and the bandage looked loosed that's be cool.I'm excited to see it Tuesday but qmsk nervous what it might look like.I really love having the fan on and feeling the air between my toes it helps.when you ice under the knee did you have issues with your skin turning red or being too cold from all the icing?
    • Posted

yeah I'm staying focused on constant elevation and icing unless I'm going to the bathroom.I haven't had much pain more discomfort.it feels as if my ties are extremely stiff and pointed different directions at times and that's hshausuallykky around for a bit and goes away.it'd hard to get comfortable to sleep with your foot on 4 pillows that's for sure.looking forward to seeing my doctor Tuesday to hear how I'm doing.I've been working everg pill I take and at what time to stay on top of it. starting to wonder if j should increase my percocet by 1 or my ibuprofen. the last hour before I can take meds is tough and gets pain.also trying to remember knee stretches as my knee gets very sore.weird question but j started taking a stool softener to no change..its been 4 days since I pooped any advice there? I think it's a mental block.I'm not used to going to the bathroom with my leg on a chair.
    • Posted

Nemo,

My skin gets a little red hue if I don't have a towel in between. Some people have that issue and if you don't want to use a towel, just ice for 15 minutes rather than 20. I understand what you mean about the fan! It's a nice relief. I hope all goes well Tuesday. I made a video when they took my 22 layer wrap off. I don't think it can be uploaded here but I have it on the Facebook group I Survived a Buinionectomy if you're interested. I was so nervous to see my foot! It turned out well in the end. I'm 16 days post op today. I miss work! I miss exercising (I'm a runner). I miss just walking with ease. I miss being able to do a lit on my own without assistance because I'm fiercely independent. Let us know how everything goes Tuesday.

• Posted

As far as your constipation kerp taking the stool softener but also increase your fiber intake especially from fruit. I have been following an anti-inflammatory diet which has been helping with the swelling in my foot a lot.
    • Posted

I've been switching between icing under the knee and just laying the ice on top of my ankle lower calf area it seems to help. today I've been feeling a stinging for the first time around my big toe area.I wonder if its the stitches healing.not sure if my doctor used dissolvable or not because i didn't have a preference. did you? if you got them out what was that like? and wow look st you you're almost done hang in there! I for one can't wait to exercise without burning pain for days after on my bunion!
    • Posted

I'll have to do this.I suppose I haven't eaten much anyway only a couple fill size meals.it's just really hard to be comfortable going to the bathroom with your foot JP on a chair.I'll keep taking the stool softeners and perhaps a laxative to see if that helps.
    • Posted

Hi Nemo. I have dissolvable too. From what I've read, the stinging is the stitches hitting nerves as they dissolve. It gets better after week 2, at least it has for me.
    • Posted

any tips for showering? I have a shower seat and a plastic sleeve that goes over my cast I want to take my first shower...
    • Posted

I've only taken bayhs. My tub faces the wrong way for me to put my right leg up if I'm laying in it so I've been taken sideways baths with my cast cover on. I'm too nervous in a shower I'll get the cast wet, so I haven't tried.
    • Posted

yeah it was exhausting haha not to mention there's two sets of stairs to get to the shower.I made it and sure I feel better but I don't want to do that again for a while. KT was stressful being so cautious of my leg the whole time.
    • Posted

Yeah that's how I feel with the bath. I'm so cautious even with the cast protector. On another note, tonight I was able to do a leg abd core 45 minute Pilates workou . It made me feel great to be doing something since I can't run.
    • Posted

wow that's awesome good job! see in a few weeks I'll bet you'll be doing more than you thought.this process has been different than i expected but to be honest its been a lot easier then i thought it'd be and a lot less painful.more discomfort than pain.
    • Posted

Pain wise it's gone better than I anticipated too. I just am so over the hard cast. I get it off Friday if all has gone well. Fingers crossed. I'm a little stir crazy from not being able to do much the last almost 3 weeks but I guess that's to be expected.
    • Posted

I had my first post op visit with the doctor today.while they were taking the bandage off I was shaking haha so I was nervous and scared to see my foot.it didn't look nearly as bad I as thought it would.I've looked at so many pictures of feet black and blue wjgb intense scars and was expecting that but the incision was there but clean looking and no bruising but my ankle was and foot were a bit swollen but they said it looked normal.there was bleeding through my dressings though they said since I'm taking ibuprofen that can make it bleed more but to keep taking it because its good for swelling too.I thought I was getting a plaster cast but I got a surgical boot instead and it's so nice.the boot is oddly heavy so that's difficult to keep it up and not drag while on crutches but overall it feels more comfortable and less mysterious and scary.they said I'm still non weight bearing but I can set my heel down but don't out weight on it.the extra balance support is a huge plus though.man foot xraus are difficult when you have to be careful of your foot huh! oh and I also have dissolvable stitches after all.so glad to skip the removal process for a simple snip on the ends.
    • Posted

she did say a reason I am having stiff pain in my toes could be from bleeding on the nerves and she said ankle rotations will help that and to do them 3 times a day.do you do these? if so do you think I should leave my boot on for them or take it off?
    • Posted

I'm glad your appointment went so well! That's great it looked better than you thought it would, mine did as well. You must be in the boot I had when I had my ankle surgery. I can't do the ankle rotation due to my hard cast. I wouls think take your boot off to do them would be my guess because you'd have a much better range if motion. Do you have to sleep with the boot on? How long will the boot be on for until you transition to a shoe? I'm so excited for you!
    • Posted

I tried a couple ankle rotations with the boot off and its surprising how exhausted I felt afterward.I have a hard time rotation the ankle around in a circular motion but can more or less move the foot up and down.I do need to be careful of my stitches though.I do have to sleep with the boot on and as far as i know it stays on 24/7 unless I were to stretch the foot or maybe ice the foot.today was weird I had almost no pain and del asleep and woke up about an hour ago with gkrrj me pain! it was not quite a burn but just an intense sharp pain and it was around the top of my foot and I'm wondering if its the screws or if its the nerves being bothered by blood like my doctor said earlier.this king it was I moves my keg up and down at the knee and it didn't help much so I lowered KT off the pillows and to the floor and that seemed to help the pain subside a lot.not sure what it was but that's happened about twice both times at night now and I'm really hoping that stops it's gnarly.do you get that?
    • Posted

Nemo, 

totally normal!

you'll have pains in places you didn't know exist, you'll think that the plates have moved, screws broken, and everything back to pre-op.

the stiches will hurt, even if they've been removed.

i found that foot up, foot down every 10 mins helped at this stage,this was something that some how made it feel better.

the bones have to knit together, and as they do, you'll get some very interesting sensations. If necessary write them down as you do certain things then you know what will cause them.

its an experience I hope not to have again (to me)

keep in there, you're doing brilliantly.

caroline

xx

• Posted

thank you Caroline glad to hear from you! I was surprised foot down helped I had jtnin my head it needs constant ice and elevation and down is bad.it does help sometimes.I'm worried the pain from my boot might be of my foot isn't 90° in it fully. I've had a tough time bending my ankle so far and I still need to be cautious of the incision.but my heel is to the back where it needs to be I just don't know if its flat.which would explain the toe pressure feeling of they're being pushed.ill need to focus in slowly getting more flexibility in my ankle.did you have any boot issues or anything similar?
    • Posted

Nemo,

I get something similar to that. My surgeon said it's from the titanium plate and the stitches dissolving and hitting nerves as they do. I hope your pain gets better soon! Definitely sleep with your noot on so your stitches don't snag on any blankets. That would be so painful! Also I started doing the best version of ankle rotations I can do with a hard cast on. Thanks for that insight!

• Posted

my doctor said the stitches don't begin to dissolve until day 21 or so so I'm not sure of my pain is from that.but yeah I'm glad for sleeping with some protection on it to avoid incidents thatd be painful! u found my ankle a lot easier to bend after I took it out of the boot and iced the ankle for about 4 minutes it was easier to put the boot on tighter and correctly.
    • Posted

Nemo,

You kust have a different kind than me, I know there are several different kinds of dissolvable stitches used. My surgeon said for mine, most will dissolve from 7 to 14 days and then a few may take a little more time. I'll report back on Friday after the hard cast hopefully is removed and I can see all that's going on. Tonight when my foot started aching I decided to try to trick my mind and it worked. Instead of focusing on the discomfort, I decided to think that the feeling was a good sign that my foot is healing and starting to fuse. Mind over matter totally worked for me.

• Posted

Nemo

i didn't have any boots, just wrapped up in bandages. Non dissolve able stiches that irritated, which were removed at 14 days.

i could wiggle my ankle and toes, which I did quite often.

everything throbbed, but, 3 days after the stiches came out I had a long soak in the bath, it was brilliant, but getting in and out - well yes, very interesting. You have to weight bear fully on your heels, try not to slip, and hope that your arm muscles can cope. And you can start using a salt scrub, lightly on your feet to buff away the dead skin,and you'll have lots of it.

still early days.

caroline

xx

• Posted

I've found myself doing that a few times as well haha! cannot wait for all of this to be over and we can have two functioning feet again! when did you stop taking the medication? today and last night I've been able to cut back from 1 1/2 perocet and 3 ibuprofen to 1 percocet and 3 ibuprofen and I'm hoping to not need the percocet much longer.everyone says to stay ahead of the pain game and take it even of you don't need it then but it's hard to figure out when you can lessen your dosages.
    • Posted

sounds like an adventure haha at least I only have one foot.yeah I've heard from a couple different people long soaks in the tub helps do wonders.I've pretty much figured out why my boot is giving me issues.I am having a hard one keep my heel down when its on which causes my toes to be pushed and best the weight.but there isn't much I can do until bending gets easier.
    • Posted

I can't wait to soak my foot! With the dissolvable stitches I have I'm not able to soak it for 6 more weeks. Once I get the cast off, I'll be able to sponge wash it only. I miss a real bath.
    • Posted

I stopped at day 10 because my pain was down to about a 2 or a 3 on a pain scale which I felt I could manage on my own. Don't forget everyone is different, do what your body needs. Pain is not fun to have. I keep getting burning today. I sure hope the doctor takes my hard cast off at my appointment tomorrow morning. It's hard to sleep because the cast shifts some and I feel like it hits the side of my foot where the titanium plate went in. I'm hopeful the XRays and my foot look good tomorrow. It will be nice when I can look at it whenever I want again. I hope your healing is going well and you have minimal pain!
    • Posted

well I'm day 8 now so there's still some pain but honestly its been manageable.the pain killers have really helped for sleeping though when you need something to kind of look last the sensation to sleep.good luck at your appointment i hope it goes well let me know! I don't know about you but I've found myself almost afraid of my foot haha especially when my boot is off and its just my foot in dressings.I'm so nervous about messing something up.today I was having pain so I took my boot off and my sister always helps me because the vekcrk straps stick to the dressings and the boot is heavy its hard to lift it and strap while trying to have my foot flat etc anyway j tried to put it back on myself and in the process I either irritated the incision too much or accidentally put weight on the bottom cause it hurt.and it still hurts.the bottom of my foot feels throbby which is a first. be careful and don't do what I did haha it punishes you later!
    • Posted

Nemo - hope you are having a better day.  I read your boot is giving you issues.  I am wondering why you are having problems keeping your heel down.

First of all is it an Air Cast Boot like mine?  That is one that you have a rubber button on the side that you pump and set the left/ride/side areas around your leg?  If it is not the same as mine then I can't comment.

Look forward to hearing from you. 

• Posted

Hi everyone! I had my 21 post-op today. I'm so happy to report that I got my hard cast off today. My surgeon said my foot looks really pretty. No one has ever said that about my foot! It made my whole day. He cut some of the dissolvable stitches and replaced my steri strips. X-Rays looked great and fusion has started. I now wear a short boot and a darco aka velco shoe. I'll partially weight bare for about a week and then I can get rid of the crutches! I can start driving next week too. I need to wear the boot when moving around. I'll wear the darco at night and when I'm lounging.Even better is he's letting me get my left bunion done earlier than expected mid November. This is important because I had met my $5,000 insurance deductible earlier this year, so again my insurance company will be paying 100% of this bunionectomy too! I'll by need Lapidus for my left due to the bunion size and my super hypermobility. By the end of November I can finally say I don't have bunions anymore. I start PT next week. I just touched my foot and it feels anaxing to not have a huge bunion there anymore. The only gross thing is the big black blister I have from the cast. When the swelling went down my cast started shifting a lot which caused the top of my foot to rub on it and cause the blister. Could be worse, so I'm happy.
    • Posted

no mine is just a surgical boot. the boot is so heavy that the straps would have to be really tight to keep of in place when I'm on crutches etc.im having no pain apart from the bottom of my big toe feels really irritated and I'm assuming its from the pressure kd the boot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.