Preparing for lapidus

Posted , 8 users are following.

hey all this forum has been so helpful and encouraging to read.most forums gave me second thoughts and fears but this one just encourages me and gives me determination! so I am scheduled for a lapidus next Thursday and I'm going in wide eyed and nervous for recovery! I have a couple questions though.

1)how high does the foot need to be elevated and ballpark figure for how long to elevate it for?

2)I've found crutches to be surprisingly difficult! any suggestions on their use? and I am considering a knee scooter for back up as well but have heard it's easy to injure yourself on them.thoughts?

3) what is the stitch removal process like? what's done and what's the pain level?

4) has anybody had to go back to have some hardware that was out in removed?

1 like, 126 replies

126 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I can't figure out how to put pictures on this site or I'd attach a few of the progress.
  • Posted

Nemo,

If your heel is being bothered, don't use the air to inflate the boot. They told me that today when I got mine. They said only to inflate it wgen I need to walk so it cushions the heel. I hope this helps!

• Posted

my boot is not an air cast its just a sheficsk boot.I'm not sure of I will change boots until I begin to weight bare which is 6 weeks.how was your appointment did the foot look good?
    • Posted

*surgical boot.

update: I think I fixed it! so when I for the boot they gave me 3 pads to put where it hurts and j was putting them mainly on the strap over my incision. but today I put a pad under my toes where its been feeling pressure and almost blistery and wow it's so much better.still very uncomfortable but my toes needed a break.I can always move the pads around as pretty much only one fits at a time or the boot straps need to be too tight.so I plan to move back and forth fr incision to toes.

• Posted

Mine is a boot too, a cam walker. I have a special shoe for when I drive and sleep (if I find the sheets uncomfortable on my big toe). I'm glad you figured it out Nemo and your foot is doing better! I had posted a lengthy response yesterday on here to you about my 3 week post-op appointment. I'm cast free! Happy healing!
    • Posted

oh I'm sorry I didn't eve. see your reaponsey! since its such a long forum I tens to just scroll straight to the bottom I must've missed it.wow you had a great appointment! great job you are on your way! the face you are planning your next one while going through this shows you're brave haha I've decided I really will wait a long time until I do my right foot.if..I also have to have my screes and hardware removed about 6 months after healing so I'll be immobile a but then too and I've bad my fill haha.this is a tough surgery to recover from.so tough.I've been having really down days lately and so much pain.I hope when j see my doctor Thursday for stitches to be cut I get a darco shoe like you did.I HATE this boot.mines a like a can but only goes up about to my mid leg.I have physical therapy I believe week 4.I'm so glad it's going well.reading these forums I've been surprised how many people are not told to do PT.it'll help healing so much more.
    • Posted

I hope your next appointment goes well. When they cut about 8 of my stitches my foot felt so much better instantly! Even though their dissolvable, my surgeon said they were ready. Did you have an issue with your hardware? Mine is staying in forever unless my body decides otherwise. My surgeon said the particular titanium plate he used allows for weight bearing, driving, and less issues down the road too so I'm hopeful that will make a difference for me too.

I'mbsorry you're haring the boot! I only wear it when moving. Otherwise I have the darco shoe on or nothing at all. It feels so nice icing it and fully feeling it now without the hard cast. I'm icing it right now and it feels delightful. Cleaning off all the iodine left over from the surgery was great as well!

I'm alao surprised how many surgeons don't advise PT and other recommendations. I know I'll need orthodics when I return to a normal show hopefully in a month. Some people don't bother buying them. I don't want this surgery again on my right foot so I'm doing everything and then some to help my body heal.

For feeling down and pain management, I highly recommend the book Full Castastrophe Living. It's a 8 week mindfulness program that is used for pain rspecially back pain, anxiety, and depression very successfully. I've followed it for 3 weeks and it's done wonders for my mind and spirit!

• Posted

we'll I'm going in tomorrow to see my doctor about this boot and pressure pain I'm getting on my toes and bottom foot from it.I'm worried the boot will hinder my healing if my heel isn't able to stay flat in it get.I'm trying all I can to get the swelling on my ankle gone as I think that will really help. I spend all day with it elevated and iced yet still some swelling.I suppose it is a defense mechanism for the body.how is your swelling? my doctor mentioned my dressings might be too tight or too big so we'll see.k should also get my stitches cut later this week.I believe my doctor said once they're cut I can start to get my foot wet and it'll feel more like a foot then haha.day 10 down! its helpful to count the days its good to remember it won't last forever! I moss driving..no issues with my hardware yet bit I have verb skinny feet so my doctor is fairly certain 6 months after it should come out.6 titanium screws and a plate.I can see lots of bones in my feet so it's weird to think all that is in there haha.and yea when my surgery is done I am taking good care of my feet. I do not want this again.I think the pain would have to be so intense for me to have my other foot done at this point.I'm over it.it is tough. tears have really been coming lately it helps when friends stop by.I'm hoping my appointment is good tomorrow and everything looks great.I am so nervous a out messing something up! you don't know what's going on in that foot haha
  • Posted

well I had my week 2 appointment today and had my dissolvable stitches taken out.those felt weird! and was told to start big toe stretches and bending my foot and picking things up with my toes.that will be tough its a mental battle to want to do any of that I'm scares of hurting it.I had some yellowish bruising in top of my foot and bottom so hopefully that goes down.I'm in the boot until week 6 so far and still no weight bearing until then.but j can start setting my feet down more but no weight on it.I can also get it wet now! doctor said by monday j can be more aggressive with washing but for now be gentle.good appointment.
    • Posted

That's great news Nemo! I still can't submerge my foot in water. I can't wait to! Arnica Montana gel or cream would help with the leftover bruises. Best of luck!
    • Posted

thanks for the cream suggestion I'll be looking for some and something for the incision and dryness.I am a bit nervous about doing the range of motion exercises its quite a mental block to want to Gran your big toe and pull it! have you been told to do any of that yet? I am now day 13 and don't see doctor for s month and then start PT as well.how are you feeling layely?
    • Posted

wow day after my appointment where she stretched my toe and it is so sore today! I did a few ankle up and down stretches and it feels very sore.its like a dull pain yet so painful at times.
    • Posted

Hi Nemo,

I'm sorry you're so sore! I have been doing the stretches my surgeon showed me to do at my 3 week post-op. I put my right hand on the top of my foot (away from the plate and screws) and two fingers from my left hand on the base if my big toe. I started with 10 up and down 3 sets daily holding for 10 seconds to stretch. Now I'm up to 30 up and down 6 to 8 times a day. I've been using various textures on my big toe as he recommended to decrease the nerve sensitivity which is really helping. I do smkle rolls too. I'm starting PT 2 times weekly on Monday. I'mvexcited to be moving forward as I beed to walking with ease by November 6, my next surgery for my left Lapidus. When I first started the stretches, I could barely move them and it hurt. I've progressed a lot in 8 days.

I feel well overall. I have zaps a few times daily but they're quick. I can feel my plate but I think it's because my bones are fusing now that I hit the 29 day mark. More stitches are coming out. I had to trim 3 tonight. They just keep reappearing. I'm covering them with neosporin and bandaids because almost all my steri strips have fallen off. I can'tvwait until I can soak my foot. My surgeon said wash it with a wash cloth and water only, no soap. So far so good. I hope you have less pain when you reas this. It helps to ce after doing the stretches and take Advil once a day too.

• Posted

oh I wasn't told to wash with my foot with no soap glad to hear that.I do have some of that soap a hospital gives you that's for before surgery I might use they but not a lot. yes I need to just do the stretches its the swelling afterwards that is really tough to deal with.every day really does get better but there are some days especially nights where the pain brings me back to the first week.I have PT next week for a consultation and range of motion that will be nice to make sure im doing everything right.I still can't get my heel to stay flat in my boot. it doesn't cause much pain now and I take it off a lot more but sometimes my ankle gets aofe from being in the relaxed position and the boot helps.the day this boot is gone might be the best day of my life.
    • Posted

I agree, I can't wait for the day I no longer need a boot or a surgical shoe or anything that makes it obvious I'm learning how to walk again on that foot!

Yeah my surgeon said until the incisions are 100% closed, not to use soap. I'm about 97% there. My stupid dissolvable stitches won't go away. Everytime I think they're all out, 5 more will appear.

Good luck at PT next week! I start on Monday.

• Posted

i didn't know dissolvable stitches came outline that.do they just fall out or hand there or do you have to actually pull them out? my Dr didn't mention anything about that.and I hope you're healing well! this forum sure has been a lifesaver for me through all of this.and it really helps to pass the time and keep track what day I'm at to keel my head up.day 16 down 17 here j come! today sure did have it's painful moments for me.lots of heel pain from my boot and ankle pain from lack of flexibility. really hoping to get this taken care of soon but I hurt myself when I try too much for 2 weeks.
    • Posted

Nemo,

Yes don't try to do too much. My surgeon actually cut a bunch of the dissolvable stitches in the office last week. It didn't hurt like real stitches. He said some may come out on their own and others I can trim or pull if I feel okay with that. One is in a hard knot and I can't get it. I'm hoping the PT can help me get it. It's sore and red where the knot is.

Is the heel pain from the swelling? My swelling is greatly reduced at day 30 post-op. I only had heel pain avfew days after surgery. Today I didn't use my crutches at all and did well! I'm still in my boot but my surgeon said to try at home this weekend without crutches. I feel great! After my bath, without thinking, I got out and stood completely on it without a boot. It didn't hurt but I'm not doing it again until I'm cleared too. I don't want to risk injury.

I equally enjoy this forum. It's nice to bounce ideas off others and gear about their bunionectomy journey. I went back to work for 25 hous only thus week. It went well but boy did it exhaust me after 3 1/2 weeks of bed rest. Next week I'm back to 40+ hours. Keep resting and healing! Sending my best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.