Preparing myself for tkr

Posted , 16 users are following.

Just wondering how long before most people return to work after a tkr? I was thinking that after 2-3 weeks I would resume my life and go back to work and most of my normal activities. After reading some of the discussions this tkr sounds a lot more painful and difficult than I was thinking. I have been through breast cancer twice in the past six years, fractured my llowet back by falling off my mule and two fractures in my upper back due to osteoporosis. I have been thru a lot and this tkr is frightening to me. I can't stand being confined to the house. I take care of young adults and need to be able to chase after them and cannot be on pain meds and working.

I just turned 60 last week. Have any of you gone on disability because of the tkr?

I appreciate your feedback

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi cindy,

​Hate to say this - but - dream on !

​I had (nearly a year ago now) a partial knee replacement (right knee, medial compartment) . I was 8 weeks before I could drive a car again and only at that point did the Consultant give me clearance to throw away my two crutches. I was back at work driving a bus at 11 weeks. I was 71 at the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.