Preparing to start - any advice for a newbie?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello All, my name is Cath & having reached the depths of despair over my weight have agreed with my GP to try orlistat. I have the tablets but as its Christmas I'm not going to start until Wednesday. Plan is to get through any rubbish food already bought for Christmas so I can start properly next week & I have time to prepare & organise myself. Does anyone any advice or tips they can share? How often do you weigh in? Are there any discussion threads focussed on sharing your weigh in results? I was planning on weighing each week (in Boots for 50p lol) so have the printouts to show my GP at the end of the month but fear I will need more support than that as I weigh around 28st :-(

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi cathy I've been on orlistat for 3 months and lost 2 and half stone. I just cut the crap out smaller potions and not to eat after 6.30pm. Don't touch bread. It took 6 weeks to stop craving for sweet stuff I eat fruit instead of sweets. Good luck and stay strong. Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. I am struggling with cravings for bread & sweet stuff but trying to just cut it out completely. Staying strong is something I need to conquer! My GP would like me to cut out sugar but I only have whats 'hidden' in food sooo trying to also only eat unprocessed food.

Congratulations on your loss - that is truly amazing. Are you feeling better for it? xx

• Posted

Hi cath. Yea I'm OK hun it's weigh day tomorrow as I'm changing my weigh in day to fridays so I'm just dying for a loss anything to show myself what I'm doing is right

• Posted

hi everyone well, after a horrible first week, i have weighed in today and lost 7lbs!!!! im ecstatic!!
    • Posted

Thats fantastic hun well done you & I suspect it'll motivate you for this week too xx

• Posted

Hi everyone, I am new to orlistat and have had the pills since end of November but couldn't face starting them with all the Xmas goodies around the corner sad I was looking for help about wot to eat when using it and found ur discussion and you guys have inspired me to stop delaying and get on with it. I will post any pros and cons I come across but am less worried about starting after reading these posts. Hope you don't mind me joining ur group.

• Posted

Hi Linda, welcome you are amongst friends here so please feel free to post whatever & whenever you like! How are doing? It takes time to get started & get used to what foods work for you & what don't so its trial & error to some degree xx

• Posted

Thanks Cath, that's me been a week now, I've lost 5.5lbs but weirdly I'm not getting the runs I am the other way around cry ! I'm on metformin for diabetes and carbimazole for grave's disease so not sure if all other drugs affecting it. Never expected to feel bungled up lol! More veggies next week!!! It is good to talk to folk goin thru the same thing as ur a bit on ur own with this stuff. I'm doing Scottish Slimmers online. Thanks for the support x Well that's all the alarm clocks going off so I'd better get up xx

• Posted

Hi Linda, that's a great 1st week result! I have read of some people being constipated so you aren't alone but maybe your other meds do affect things - ask your Dr if it continues. What's Scottish Slimmers' plan like? I've read many a success story in magazines from people who have lost significant amounts of weight on the plan xx

• Posted

Hi I've been given orlistat today never been on it before but I'm 19st need some help, do you need to take the tablets with every meal even if it's like say a ham salad? What was your first week losses?

• Posted

Yep take it even with a ham salad hun. I found I didn't lose anything in my first week but lost 7lbs the next week. I put some of that down to time of the month too though. I need to lose a bit to get the continuation

• Posted

Are things like Alpen light bars and special k bars ok? It's got mr frightened to eat haha 😂 I'm a long way from a toilet at work

• Posted

Hi Sue welcome to the gang. I take a tablet wuth every meal even a salad. I admit I've tried going low carb & have really struggled so am making sure I eat some with high protein too. I like alpen light bars too & they keep me going at work. Just remember the rule of less than 5g fat per 100g & you shoukd be fine. I stupidly weakened at the weekend & indulged in cherry bakewell tart & ice cream & well, I wont be doing it again!!! Xx

• Posted

Ah that's great thank you, my sugar level must have dropped because thought I was going to pass out at work was fine once I had something to eat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.