Prescribed 10mg, took for two days, stopped, scared to start again :( Help....

Posted , 9 users are following.

Four weeks ago heartburn triggered a Panic Attack as i thought it was my heart (sound familiar??) Saw my GP after a four day Panic Cycle, Prescribed 2mg Diazepam to get me out of that, worked a treat but ever since i have had extreme Anxiety, Went back to GP and was Prescribed 10mg of Citalopram, Took me a while to pluck up the courage to start them, (Spent about two weeks trying to deal with this naturally) anyway i took my first one and felt like i was losing my mind severe side affects constant panic and irritability, erratic thoughts, took a second dose the next day same feeling, now i'm petrified to start again!!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Stephanie

I was also prescribed these and after 5 days of feeling more anxious I had a massive panic attack which I'd never had before! My GP said I had a reaction to them and took me off them! But he did say you get worse on them at first and lots of people think they are great! Just didn't work for me! Now I'm too scared to try any others as left me feeling like that for about a week after ! I did go out for 2 days. Maybe go back a see your GP? Or preserver for a few more days see if they work?

• Posted

Thanks Kim, Yes i feel they did the same i was sat in the car with my other half he had to go into the shop and i felt the worst anxiety ive ever had i was petrified that i would become suicidal (i wasnt suicidal just terrified that i would become that way, if that makes sense) such a horrible feeling! Have you been prescribed anything else in place of Citalopram? xx
    • Posted

My panic attack was also In the car! I was on my own driving to work and got stuck in traffic then all of a sudden my head went spacey And my chest was burning and I just wanted to jump out the car! So scary!

No to be honest I didn't want anything else! So I am on the waiting list for CBT ? Got about a 6 week wait but thought I would try that as I just want my life back now!

X

• Posted

This is the thing, i really don't want to have to take anything either, so maybe i should just keep doing what i'm doing now, i have become obsessed with natural ways to combat anxiety, taking vitamins (B6, B Complex, C, Zinc, Fish Oil, Magnesium, Epsom salt baths) they seem to help somewhat i suppose and i have good and bad days! Argh so undecisive, very annoying!! Thanks for replying xx
    • Posted

That ok! And i know how you feel! I worry about everything! I did buy a self help book it was a guy who suffered himself wrote it!? It was on amazon .... Found that really helpful! Have you had any CBT or councilling?

Xx

• Posted

I have a few self help guides they do help even just to take your mind away from the anxiety for a while, i had six Counselling sessions a few years back for Excessive blushing/Social Anxiety and it helped me a lot just to talk to somebody about it made me feel like i wasnt the only one in the world with this problem and now it doesnt really bother me at all, i havent tried CBT but have heard its the only real cure for Panic and Anxiety, I hope it works for you, Good Luck smile xxx
    • Posted

Hi no of course not! 😀

It's cognitive behavioural therapy. It's meant to work with what's happening now and trains your mind ... Unlike counselling that goes over your past? If that makes sense? Google it , it's meant to be successful ... And to be honest I will try anything to be normal! 😜

X

• Posted

There is a good CBT book called CBT "for dummies". The "for dummies" series covers all sorts of subjects. Don't wait 6 weeks, start reading now! You won't regret it.... best thing I ever did.

Good luck.

• Posted

Stephanie, please don't panic. I am similar to you, had a huge panic attack brought on from lack of sleep and was extremely anxious ever since. Dr suggested I try 5mg of citalipram and that sent me into an even bigger panic as you described, it was hideous & I felt so vulnerable. BUT she told me to quarter the dose - 2.5mg and that is more manageable. I'm only on day 7 & still feel a bit on edge but nothing like before.

I too tried to do the natural way to no avail and accept now I'll take pills for 6 months (with CBT) to get me out of this hole.

So you could try lessening your dose? I believe 20mg is too much a shock to the system, even 5mg was for me (I'm v slight & was anxious to begin with). Not everyone needs the large doses.

Michelle

• Posted

Hi Michelle, Thanks for your reply, I also feel i'm so much worse without a proper good nights sleep, i might try the 2.5mg to start off amd see how i go but maybe they're just not for me. Good luck on your journey xxxx
  • Posted

Hi there. Were you taking all these vitamin supplements and then got stomach probs? Were you then prescribed the Citalopram? I ask as vitamin supplements can cause havoc with your digestive system. Just a thought.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply, no stomach problems to date thankfully other than the usual anxiety sicky feeling x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.