Prilosec caused severe anxiety which lead to major depression. Symptoms similar to ptsd.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I was prescribed prilosec approximately 3 years ago for the symptoms of gerd. Since then, I've noticed a gradual deterioration in my health. The symptoms I've been having include, but are not limited to severe anxiety and irritability, major depression, feeling of fear and dread, visual/eye focus issues, extreme sensitivity to light, and a complete inability to relax, similar to ptsd symptoms. (Among others). I've searched the Internet and have gone through rigorous testing to figure out what could have brought all of this on as I have always had slight anxiety, but nothing compared to what I've gone through over the past 3 years. I could go on and on, but to make a long story short, I did a thorough check of all medications that I was taking (4). I further narrowed it down to prilosec, and began researching for myself.

After noticing that there are so many others that have the exact same side effects did I realize that prilosec must be the culprit, especially since that seems to be the exact amount of time that I have been going through what has been a complete nightmare. I immediately stopped taking prilosec cold turkey and went to my gp for a full blood count and had all vitamin levels checked. The results showed that I am now deficient in vitamins d and b12. I I have been off of prilosec for three weeks and taking supplements and have been feeling better, although not nearly 100% at this point.

Has anybody had similar adverse reactions to prilosec or ppi's and if so, how long did you take it and how long did it take for you to feel "back to normal"?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated as I am astounded that this drug could be the cause of so much horror!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

have you had any problems with reflux or heartburn since stopping abruptly

• Posted

Surprisingly I actually have not. Although I have been supplementing with magnesium before going to bed each night which may have helped in that area. I've been off of prilosec for a little over three weeks now.

• Posted

Just to clarify, when I realized that I had been taking this drug for over three years and connected the side effects, I called my gastro dr. and asked the nurse if I still needed to take these since it had been so long and that I thought that they were causing very strange side effects. She told me that it looks like a had mild gastritis on the endoscopy but that "if you feel they are causing you those side effects, you should go ahead and ween off them as you should no longer need them". She suggested taking 1 every other day for 2 weeks and then to stop completely. I got the feeling that they had just completely forgotten about me and I could have been taking them indefinately if I hadn't called in. The more I researched, I have found that stress causes LOW, not not high stomach acid, and that you need stomach acid in order to digest food and nutrients properly. So it seems that my stomach pain in the beginning was associated with low stomach acid from stress at work/home, and once the prilosec was added, it took and kept my stomach acid even lower which could explain why things got much, much worse instead of better. The scary thing is that it happened so gradually that it had me racking my brain and going from doctor to doctor trying to figure out what was wrong with me, just to find out that I never needed to be on these drugs in the first place. I'm no doctor, but it got to the point where I was so desperate, I had to do my own research. And while prilosec may work well for some people, the adverse reactions that I began to have were unimaginable, and very hard to figure out, let alone explain to doctors as they will tend to brush it off as psychological issues, ie: anxiety/depression which is easy to believe when you're in that desperate of a state of mind.

• Posted

you are lucky you have begun to feel better .. i only took prilosec for 9 weeks and after a year and a half of stopping it, my life is worse than a zombie or a dead person... i wish death upon myself than being buried alive every moment like this... extreme depression, anxiety and panic attacks.. ptsd even bipolar schizo type symptoms.. totally handicapped and non functional .. cry my eyes out everyday.. cannot relax or concentrate on a small task such as hearing two ppl talk or watch tv... lost my job, belongings everything 😭 been taking psych meds for a year but no use... i have developed the worst type of depression i think which is resistant to treatment

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that Benny. Have you had a full blood count and vitamin levels checked? Have you been eating properly and supplementing with anything? From what I've read, being deficient in vitamin B12 alone can cause all sorts of psychological problems, including anxiety, depression, dementia, and a long list of neurological disorders. That's way too long for you to be feeling like that!

• Posted

when i had bloody vomit and black stool due to my ulcer, the docs gave me blood transfusion as i had lost a lot of blood.. my levels were checked too and i was quite deficient in b12... then they gave me the triple therapy ( including prilosec) for h pylori which they suspected was causing my ulcer.. since then i am in this mental state... 9 weeks of prilosec was too much but honestly the mental symptoms started due to iv omeprazole they gave me while in the hospital i think... anyways i am a lost cause.. i tried everything under the sun, supplements, b12 shots, b complex, folic acid, magnesium, and tonnes of antipsychotics... but i pray for death as every minute is an agony

• Posted

i am so desperate i even considered shock therapy for my depression 😭 who knows if if hoes on like this, i might have to go for that... i still cant understand how a stomach medicine could do this.. i have extreme irritability, cant concentrate, cant move around without crying, cant wait, cant enjoy, cant relax, twitching and contracting muscles, vision is extremely blurry, disturbed sleep, panic, feeling of doom, something in my gut asks me to hurry things up which is restlessness i guess, fatigue, hopelessness, anger, and a very long list ...

• Posted

Benny, please post your reply to the following link:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/prilosec-caused-severe-anxiety-which-led-to-major-depression--698897

I inadvertantly posted this in the wrong section of the forum.

Thanks

• Posted

have you ever taken any anxiety or depression meds before all this started happening? how did your b12 drop to low or was it low long before prilosec... sometimes i think its prilosec, other times i have no clue what to blame..

• Posted

my symptoms are so severe, i dont know how to spend a moment of this life , how i have spent a year and a half and how am i going to spend the rest of my life like this, i have nooooo idea .. i am only 35 now

• Posted

Yes. I have been on antidepressants off and on in the past and have had success in the past with Elavil. This time, I've been on every antidepressant there is, with very little to no benefit. Even the Elavil that used to work for me no longer works. I am also on xanax with some relief, but not enough to get through this extreme anxiety. I am hoping that now that I am off of the prilosec, that the meds I'm on can begin to work but it seems to be a slow process. My body seems to have calmed down some, but it's been over 3 years like this so my body seems to be used to being in hyperactive mode. The depression is much different than anything I've ever felt in the past. It's a really strange and scary type of mental state where you just can't relax enough to even think properly, and everything seems frightening, and stressful. Even small things. My muscles have been so tense that it was hard to accomplish small tasks or even bend over. I feel like things are easing up and my thinking is slightly clearer right now so even a small change like this makes a big difference. I feel like I'm on the right track with stopping the prilosec and although I still cannot fully relax, I feel a little better than I did even a month ago.

My b12 and vitamin d levels have never been low so I'm contributing that to the prilosec and lack of stomach acid available to absorb nutrients. I used to wake up to extreme anxiety and depression, but it seems that has lessened somewhat, so I'm sure prilosec had a major role in this. I'm hoping none of this is permanent and from what I've read and from what others that have had similar symptoms tell me, it shouldn't be. I'm just so glad I stopped when I did. I felt like I could not go on like that. I felt sick, stressed out, and was in a really bad way mentally. (Can't even describe it properly). Now my mind is on healing. So I'll see what the next couple of weeks brings me.

I'm not sure what is going on with you, but if I were you I would have my gp test me for any vitamin deficiencies, and go for counseling. You said that you were only on prilosec for 9 weeks. Did you not feel better at all on once you stopped taking it? I honestly know all of the symptoms you have described because they are the exact symptoms I've been having, so I do understand, and I feel for you, but even a slight bit of relief can go a long way when you've felt like this for years.

Are you going for counseling or any type of group therapy? Perhaps you could find some relief in that. Maybe even get checked out by a neurologist. A big fear I have is any type of nerve damage that could have happened as a result of this, but I had an EKG done and that came back normal. The only thing I still might do is have an mri done on my brain, just to be sure everything is still in tact. I've been waiting to do this though, because of the small amount of relief that I've had so far. Although, it's something I will definitely do if things do not progress enough for me within the next month or so.

I don't like antipsychotics as I know that they can cause their own list of problems. Antidepressants and xanax have gotten me this far, so I'm hoping some more time being off of the prilosec could give everything a proper chance to work for me. We'll see what happens within the next couple of weeks. I do hope that you find some relief from your symptoms, you've been off prilosec for a year and a half. That's at least one good thing you have going for you. I really hope you find some relief. God bless you.

• Posted

the most recent psych doc i went to stopped my antidepresants saying these can exacerbate anxiety and induce mania.. he has put me on antipsychotic which is doing nothing except give me sleep.. i also had an MRI done few months back and there were few abnormalities for which i took steroids unnecessarily as the diagnosis was not clear., so i stopped them... but i am sure it has something to do with nerves since there are hundreds of symptoms and i cant concentrate. it seems like a nervous breakdown.. have you tried any homeopathic or naturopath? i personally have lost all hope , just praying for death 😭

• Posted

Have you been doing any forms of exercise? This is something that you should clear with your gp, but exercise can be very beneficial in alleviating symptoms of anxiety and depression. Even starting out with small walks out in nature and in the sunlight can help to get the blood flowing through your body and brain and could be an immense help. Perhaps you could start out with small walks and gradually increase the length of them. Then you could possibly move on to things like biking, aerobics, yoga, hiking, etc..etc...

These are proven scientific methods for helping to increase your body's natural endorphins, serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine levels. Exercise has been proven to work as well, if not better than antidepressants and it's all natural. It could also increase the effects that you're getting from the antidepressants you are currently taking. Again, all of this should be cleared through your doctor, but I do not see how increasing your blood flow through just about any types of exercise could not have at least some beneficial effects for you. And just think "I am healing everyday", "I'm doing all the right things". We have to try to stay as positive as we can even when we are facing situations that are trying to beat us down. You sound resigned to being defeated by this and that could be holding you back mentally as well. Never quit! You are here for a reason. Trying things like this, and changing your thinking can seem impossible to do, but can make major positive impacts in your life, even in a short amount of time.

• Posted

do you have moments without anxiety where you actually feel like doing things or simply feel like your old normal self? since i have fallen into depression, i have come across a few ppl who say they are just living with it.. anxiety seems to be worse than bipolar etc. as i have seen ppl recover from bipolar but anxiety is something which duznt have a cure or treatment apparently... i have seen ppl on whom antidepressants worked v well.. makes me wonder what is wrong with me and if i am doomed like this for rest of my life..

• Posted

Did you read my post in regards to trying exercise? Have you been trying anything like that?

• Posted

my family pushes me to walk a few minutes daily and i can hardly manage to do that.. i am like a zombie on medicines and filled with fear, restlessness and agitation - the worst of all emotions and yes i cry a lot 😭

• Posted

do you think prilosec is interfering with antidepressants? i think prilosec has rendered brain meds useless as nothing is working on me

• Posted

I think that any drug that can cause absorption and digestion problems can have an effect on the brain/gut connection. So yes, I think it's been interfering with my antidepressants and alot of other things. I made it to the gym yesterday and put in a rigorous workout. Today I will take my b12 supplement and I'm due for another 50,000 units of vitamin d3. It's a slow process, but doing everything I can and feel like I'm making slow progress.

I'm not sure what is going on with your situation. You had alot more going on with blood transfusions, antibiotics, and h pylori. You also said that you took steroids so I'm not sure we have the same issues. I'm no doctor, but I certainly wish you the best of luck and hope you make a full recovery.

• Posted

steroids were totally unnecessary so i stopped them.. blood transfusion should not ideally create anxiety.. yeah the antibiotics plus omeprazole could be the culprit or the trauma of me going through a life threatening situation might be to blame.. whatever it is, i wont wish it upon anyone for even a second... i do walk two to three times a day but the fatigue and restlessness do their best by holding me back from everything ...

• Posted

what are your exact symptoms? the fact that you made if to the gym and did workout is very encouraging.. did your vision deteriorate after prilosec and how is it now? i need glasses now to see anything beyond 5 feet of myself as everythng is blurry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.