Prilosec caused severe anxiety which lead to major depression. Symptoms similar to ptsd.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I was prescribed prilosec approximately 3 years ago for the symptoms of gerd. Since then, I've noticed a gradual deterioration in my health. The symptoms I've been having include, but are not limited to severe anxiety and irritability, major depression, feeling of fear and dread, visual/eye focus issues, extreme sensitivity to light, and a complete inability to relax, similar to ptsd symptoms. (Among others). I've searched the Internet and have gone through rigorous testing to figure out what could have brought all of this on as I have always had slight anxiety, but nothing compared to what I've gone through over the past 3 years. I could go on and on, but to make a long story short, I did a thorough check of all medications that I was taking (4). I further narrowed it down to prilosec, and began researching for myself.

After noticing that there are so many others that have the exact same side effects did I realize that prilosec must be the culprit, especially since that seems to be the exact amount of time that I have been going through what has been a complete nightmare. I immediately stopped taking prilosec cold turkey and went to my gp for a full blood count and had all vitamin levels checked. The results showed that I am now deficient in vitamins d and b12. I I have been off of prilosec for three weeks and taking supplements and have been feeling better, although not nearly 100% at this point.

Has anybody had similar adverse reactions to prilosec or ppi's and if so, how long did you take it and how long did it take for you to feel "back to normal"?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated as I am astounded that this drug could be the cause of so much horror!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

have you tried to wean yourself of them yet try it and try adding something to help with low acid they say apple cider vinegar is good

• Posted

Once I researched the below site, I refused to allow myself to take another prilosec.

I stopped cold turkey and have not looked back. Luckily, I haven't had any major problems with my stomach since stopping them. Now it's been a month so I'm hoping I'm in the clear as far as stomach issues go, but I have read about using apple cider vinegar somewhere and have not tried that yet. But now that you've mentioned it, I will look further into it and possibly give it a try. I will try anything that could be of help. Thank you for reminding me of this.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.