Probiotic recommendation

Posted , 8 users are following.

My Dr. told me that I have very little lactobaccilus in my system.  I told her I was taking Probiotic 10 from Nature Bounty.  She said there are better probiotics to take that need to be refrigerated since they are live cultures.  Can anyone recommend a good refrigerated probiotic?  Thank you.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

maryann it's me again. I tried Dr Formulated women's probiotic. It was in the refrigerator section of the health food store, but said it did NOT have to be refrigerated. I had read in the past refrigerated were the best, but the woman there recommended the one a bought. They cost $30; no positive results. May have even caused a little intestinal upset. Tried inserting them vaginally as well (said either way on box), but I felt more of an itch so stopped. 

I believe the same brand is sold at CVS (on the shelf) for less.

• Posted

maryann, how did the dr know your levels of lactobacillus? Can they test for that?
    • Posted

Hi Beverly,

Yes.  She took cultures in July and it showed very little lactobaccilus.  I will check out the probiotic you tried.  I have been yogurt with live cultures for years.  I was surprised with the culture result.

• Posted

Hi Maryann

If you want to private message me I can tell you the ones I have used. I’ve tried to post but the moderator won’t allow it!!!

• Posted

I have also eaten good yogurt for years, but it was not until I started drinking kefir that my digestive issues were resolved. Many more live probiotics in that. Before I returned home & was able to see a doctor out of desperation I tried inserting both yogurt and the kefir to resolve the itch. Yogurt was soothing but not a cure. Kefir may have made it worse.

For what it's worth what I have read is that it is more effective to get nutrients, etc from food. But obviously some people must benefit from taking probiotics. I have always suspected I am not able to breakdown or absorb nutrients properly. Was hoping slowing my digestion down with kefir would help. I have no idea if it has, but it has pretty much returned my digestion to normal.

My doc said nothing about testing for lactobacillus. Her theory is my estrogen is very low and fluctuating which is causing fleeting BV, hence the itch and the LS. I don't understand how LS can be caused by that yet they also state it is an autoimmune disease and its cause is not known.

Please let us know which you decide to take and if they help.

• Posted

Hi Beverly just curious on what exactly is it that is going on because I got bv and got itching in my butt and vagina the doctors seem to not know where this is comming from but I tested negitive for stds. I do feel as my digestive system is suffering from something because I’m unable to eat with out stomach pains. Your symptoms sound similar to mine, can you help have you resolved what it’s from? 
    • Posted

mila, my digestive issues have been under control for a few years now. I drink a juice glass of kefir every day. Can buy it at the grocery store (I'm in the US) or health food stores. Can also make your own, but easier to buy it. Though I am lactose intolerant, it is totally digestible (its made from milk).

The vaginal itch I have is very inconsistent. Thought it might be yeast, or a non-specific infection I'd gotten several times many years ago. Tested negative for everything back then, but responded to flagyl. Usually brought on by having sex with a new partner. One doc suggested I might be allergic to semen.

It returned on its own at menopause. The gyn I had at the time refused to prescribe the flagyl. Insisted it wasn't indicated. I realize now she was assuming it was atrophy and prescribed things that were useless. Suffered for 5 years until my GP prescribed it. Miraculously cured; no problems for 20 years

What I have now is far less extreme. No toxic feeling discharge, no burning. The itch comes and goes as does an odor. Did not have that in years past. New gyn says no sign of infection, but that AV (diagnosed 3 years ago after painful exam) has gotten worse and I now have LS as a result of lack of estrogen. Put me on hormone cream for AV  along with steroid for LS. Itch continued so I took flagyl. Worked immediately, but now itch has returned. Gyn says fluctuating estrogen causes changes in PH which causes the BV. So I am now using hormone cream nightly with a yeast cream, but the fleeting symptoms of BV continue. I am getting ready to take the flagyl again out of desperation though the doc thinks it will just return.

I did try a month of probiotics but they did nothing. 

Have you been tested for candida? It is possible to have yeast overgrowth which causes itching. Back at menopause I also went to an out of state womens clinic. Put me on a yeast free diet and Diflucan but it made no difference. It was only the flagyl that worked for me.

Clearly I have more complications now, so I don't know how to control whatever is causing the BV. Can't take flagyl forever.

Have your doctors recommended anything? They are not into diet, but you might want to try a yeast free diet on your own.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any success solving your mystery.. 

• Posted

Hi Beverly may i direct contact you, your situation seems to be very similar to mine. 
  • Posted

My daughter in law is a nurse and she recommended 1MD. It has all the right essentials we need. You can buy it online from the company. Also, I looked up the top 5 probiotics and it is number 1.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Like Beverly says, it is more effective to get good bacteria from the food you eat. You need to eat fermented foods and drink fermented drinks, such as kefir, kumbacha, kimchi, sauerkraut, miso. There is a book about how the microbes inside are are the key to health and weight loss. It is called The Diet Myth by Tim Spector.
  • Posted

Had it not been for the probiotics i would have never got my colon back to some sense of normal they saved my life and my GI surgeon swears by them and so do I bc I'm proof they do work! Your immune system lives in your colon so if its lacking what it needs and gets overridden with more bad bacteria than good it will mess up lots more in your body!! I will take them the rest of my life just knowing how far I have come after losing a foot and a half of my large intestine I kno had i not started taking them my colon function would not have returned and I would have ended up with a bag the rest of my life so take it from someone that knows those results work and do effect a lot more than you realize 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.