problematic underarm surgery, please help.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have suffered with HS for YEARS! My gp was less than helpful, protesting it was nothing more than boils and refusing to refer me to a dermatologist.

its taken six years to see a plastic surgeon and I have finally had my first

operation, I had it done march 30th. The wound was sutured and looked

Incredible, I was so happy. I had a drain in but that was removed the very next day and I was sent home.. then the problems started.....

Gradually, my wound has reopened! At first it was 3cm now its a huge cavity and the entirety of my arm pit.

my surgeon is on annual leave and everyone else seems reluctant to touch it, the latest after demanding to see another surgeon is that it should be left to open further?

I cant see my surgeon for another 9 days and I am feeling so low, my husband is doing everything for me and our family, even bathing me and getting me dressed.

I am meant to have the remaining stitches out tommorow but im not convinced thats a good idea..

Help me, please.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The pain is unreal that I've gone through, the problem with underarm surgery, is its such an awkward place. People dont realise how much you use your arms even for things like sitting up and moving once youre sat down.

some minor surgery is left open but thats generally for the extraction of single nodules in the underarm region from what i have been told.

I now have a vacuumed canister on ready to see my surgeon on Tuesday 21st.

the one thing I would say to you, is get a step by step plan.

ask what will happen after the surgery and what will happen in the event of problem, get a key person to deal with so you dont end up how I did, its distressing enough if something goes wrong.

best of luck with it all :-)

Will check back when ive seen my surgeon and let you all know what the plan is re graft.

thanks for all the support, its great knowing im not the only one xx

• Posted

My story is very similar to yours. The night of my surgery I felt great. Everything was stitched up nicely. Through the night there was a significant amount of bleeding so I changed the bandage. That is when I noticed the first small opening and figured I may have moved to much and broke a stitch. Each day the wound opened up more and more and a deep whole was exposed. I did see a doctor, who sent me to a wound nurse to have it packed. I had this done twice now and the healing process is moving slowly in the right direction. The nurse says it looks clean/no infection but my upper arm is tender and sometimes itchy. I have been slightly feverish and nauseous. I feel I am getting worse not better. This has led to me feeling depressed and hopeless. I have to get my husband to help with bathing as well. I would like to know if I should restrict movement of my right arm? Does exercise/sweating aggravate the site?
    • Posted

Hi Cindy I am sorry you are going through this,  it doesn't sound nice at all.  It is bound to be sore and I think you can expect some tenderness until it heals properly.  Itching is a good sign as it means you are healing.   Try and believe the nurse and carry on with the packing. 

As with any wound I would limit overdoing it to give it a proper chance to heal.  I hope you are feeling better soon.   Bev x

• Posted

Hi girls,

Come on over to my Facebook group HS UK.

This site keeps crashing on me.

• Posted

Hi Chrissy I would join but can't find you on fb.  Can you send me the link please in pm.  Bev x
    • Posted

I am unable to find it either. But I am in Canada so that might be why.
    • Posted

I'm not sure how to post a link on this, we have a picture of a very small dog wearing glasses.

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.