Problems reducing with uncoated Pred and stomach pain

Posted , 12 users are following.

After 22 months with PMR I am trying to reduce from 7.5 mg to 7 mg Pred on one of the DSANS methods.   On the days I take the 5mg + the 2 1mg tablets I have awful burning stomach symptoms.  I am on 10 mg Omeprazole to help with this. Any suggestions as to any other way I can deal with it would be greatly appreciated please.  I have already had bouts of gastritis (with and without H. pylori) and cant face another one on top of everything else.

I also have bad fatigue and buttock pain.  Not sure if the buttock pain is due to having lost so much weight and not having much flesh / muscle left there!

Lots of other side effects/symptoms, but these are the ones I need to deal with asap.  Many thanks

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When you lay flat, the acid can move through the esophagus and cause the burn but lifting the back end of the bed only slightly keeps the acid where it is suppose to be - down in the stomach. To help with the heart burn from the Prednisone, I have elevated the back head board/postsof bed by a couple inches with a small section of a 2 by 4 inch piece of wood placed under the back posts. You get use to the elevation fast and it really helps.
    • Posted

Thanks Joey.  My bed is already raised and it does help.   I do have some burning in my oesophagus, but it is burning in my stomach which is worse, which makes me think that I have gastritis again.  I am now back on low dose omeprazole and ranitidine, plus a careful diet, so hopefully things will improve.  Good luck to you 
    • Posted

Thank you. I also find it helpful to eat a slice of toast right before bed.  Seems to absorb excess acid. And do not drink or eat any citris fruit or coffee- too much acid but you probably know that.
    • Posted

I have a pretty rigid diet, also no alcohol, which is not so good !   Although i think I have got used to not drinking as it is nearly 2 years since I stopped.  
    • Posted

Me too but I believe my PMR started because of my heavy drinking.  I can't even take a sip of wine now because the next morning, I can not move & the prednisone doesn't work for days! So I gave it up completely but really miss it.

• Posted

Hi Jan, sorry to hear you are not coping with the reduce : I hopw it works for you.

Can I ask what the DSANS methods is?  what do the letters DSANS stand for? I tried to GOOGLE. Or if anyone else can answer : Thanks good luck Dea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.