Proctalgia Fugax

Posted , 123 users are following.

I have had this problem since my late teens or early 20's. As I get older (now 56) this pain is coming much more frequently.

The pain generally comes when I am sitting or in bed, which is fortunate since the pain is so severe it is very difficult to do anything until the pain subsides. Each episode lasts 5 minutes or so (never actually timed them)

Since my early 20's I have brought this up to my Dr. and have been fully dismissed. Over the alst 10 years or so I never bother mentioning it when I change Dr's because I have not expected an identification.

While watching the Dr. Oz show on TV this morning this was brought up during a question period. This was the first time I heard of others having this and an identifying name for it. I now am able to do research on the internet and decide on further action.

7 likes, 261 replies

261 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Marlene,

I'm sorry to hear how much you're suffering. It must be awful.  I am guessing you have a good physician who specializes in your diagnoses.  I believe in second opinions too. Proctalgia Fugax is all I have (that I'm aware of) and it is very intermittent.  I can go months without an attack and other times it's bi-weekly. I think stress plays into the frequency. I was thrilled to find this website and hear what other PF sufferers have done to find relief. Heat may work best for you. It never helped me but we're all different of course. Ken's technique of "shocking" the area with physical pressure is the best one for me.  It literally stopped the PF in its tracks a few nights' ago.  You may not want to do that with your muscle atrophy and Chrohn's Disease. I wish you good health. 

California Claudia

• Posted

Hi to you Claudia ,sorry for you to having probs in this area ,it's so uncomfortable everyday ,think drs are truly baffled by a lot of illnesses  we get .how many times you have to keep repeating these symptoms ,it's try Fodmap diet ,but you know it's not that. Just makes you want to scream at drs to just listen to what your describing ,then to act on the symptoms .

Do you. Or did you get anxiety ,they say on lot of sites this is an issue with having this .

My cousin developed this after an illness ,again after she lost illness weight ,unbeknown to me ,till we were chatting and this subject cropped up ,she to has to sit on her hips ,she has Crohns ans colitis ,hence her weight and muscle loss .Hard to believe what illness can do to a person .

I thought it was menopause symptoms ,as did my Dr ,how wrong were we ,Didnt expect me to know ,but a Dr yes .So the menopause diagnosis ive left behind. Believe I'm on right one for me now  pray to God it's correct .Best wishes  any more info always glad of .

• Posted

It must be frustrating to describe you symtoms and not have them validated with a diagnosis or treatment plan. You'd think a proctologist (bottom expert)  would know what this is.  I had the same issues when I first got Proctalgia Fugax. My doctor referred me to the proctologist who ordered some tests which were negative for cancer and colitis. It gave me little comfort to be told, after invasive testing that there was nothing wrong with me and I was still having bouts of excruciating pain. I do think it's related to stress/anxiety as my first attack was when I was preparing to move.  It is more frequent during stressful events too- even good stress like traveling.  

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for healing and relief Marlene.  I'm sorry you're having to suffer with all this. 

Best,

Claudia 

• Posted

I've had this problem for about a decade getting about 2-3 episodes a year. These last about 20mins. I am a 43 year old male.

My usual plan of action is to use a suppository. I think it's the action of inserting the thing rather than the drugs envolved. Then I pace, stand up, sit down etc until it subsides. This only ever has happened to me while asleep.

The episode I had last night was the worst I've had. It lasted on and off for about 90 minutes. The suppository didn't help. Managed to poo a bit 3 times with no help. Eventually I had some paracetamol and codeine I had. About 10 trips to the loo then back to bed, settled a bit then back and so on. A horrible night and still a bit sore today, like a strained muscle.

What I have been wondering is has anyone tried an anal vibrator for this? Bit odd and taboo but if it works I don't care. I don't want another night like last night. I am a bit scared.

• Posted

Hello Sadders, 

What a nightmare for you. That's terrible having it last so long- I'd be scared too. Typically I can expect a bout to last 30 minutes at the most but I'm exhausted afterwards like I've just had a major work out (or work over). My lower abdominal wall is sore and feels "heavy." I could barely urinate after the most recent PF attack (last week) because the muscles were still so constricted.  My recent attack happened in the car while driving home from work. I was going to pull off the road but just wanted to get home so I could execute the punch techinque. I couldn't do it in the car for that matter- unless I lay in the back seat and that would be very suspect.  I felt nauseous and was perspiring. I also get very lightheaded but probably due more to bearing down using my breath control.  What an ordeal! By the time I got home it had switched to the other side of my rectum, (my pattern is a right-to-left) focal point for the pain.  I went unstairs and got my handy meat tenderizer and wailed away. It was over in a few minutes.  In answer to your question, another writer on this blog suggested an anal vibrator. I haven't bought one but it sounds like a good suggestion.  You want to find the means of "short circuiting" the process.  The punching technique was discovered by "Jim" and I've used it with some success but it takes a lot of hits to make it stop or lessen.  I only use the meat tendarizer because it is heavy and long handled, which allows more leverage. I wonder if others have tried the anal vibrator and how it worked for them.  

• Posted

I feel your pain.....been there done that.  The doctor gave me Canasa suppositories and I use 1/2 and they have always worked, even though I don't like doing the drug.....The pain is so severe it is like you will do anything to make it go away
  • Posted

After last nights ordeal I am still aware of my anus. I'm not sure if it is PF as even though it follows the classic patterns the pain is at the back of my rectum to my coxyx.

I've just taken the plunge, visiting websites I don't usually frequent and after the initial fear of the look of these devices have ordered a 'starter' anal massager.

Will let you know how it goes when in get a chance to use it (hope this never happens).

• Posted

I am so sorry that you are suffering so terribly from this. It is so interesting that the victims are across the board. I was looking for the post that mentioned using Noxema because I can't remember exactly what you do with the Noxema. 

Anyhoo, I hope that you don't have to subject yourself to the starter anal massager.  Have you tried pulsing when the pain comes; although I know that the pain kind of freezes you.

• Posted

A warm enema will cure the pain immediately.  Don't suffer the pain. 
    • Posted

What happens if you are at work or just not at home
  • Posted

This is very true and it will stop the pain almost instantly, every time. Get yourself a rectal enema from any drug store and as soon as you feel that attack coming, fill the enema with hot water, (not burning hot), (just as hot as you can handle touching the water with bare hands, comfortably).  Insert the enema up into your rectum (You can use some patroleum jelly if you like) and gently squeeze out all of the hot water up inside your rectum. Remove the enema, but hold the water inside you. You will instantly feel the pain and spasms relax and go away. After that, go ahead and let the water out, take a deep breath of relief because you have just found out what really works and you won't have to suffer through anymore long agonizing Proctalgia Fugax attacks ever again.  

Make sure to keep your enema clean, within reach and ready the second you need it. 

• Posted

First let me say I am so glad that I finally realized I am not the only one with this problem and it actually has a name.

I have had this problem since my late 20's. I get it at night and also after bowel movements. The pain is like there is a knife in my rectum turning round and round.

The gastroenterologsist gave me a supposatory called Canasa. I only use 1/2 of it, but it takes the pain away within 15min to 1/2 hour, otherwise I would be in the fetal position on my bed for hours. I do wish there was some other way besides a drug to take the pain away, but am scared to try something and it would not work.

I tried warm compresses, hemorroid cream, but neither has worked.

Does anyone had any food triggers, like nuts, that seem to aggravate the issue?

• Posted

Hello

Yes...foods and preservatives are my immediate triggers. Dairy. Soy and most sugars are triggers for me. I'm on an extremely restrictive low fodmap diet.

I also take Dicyclomine three tmes daily. This medication helps but there are side effects.

• Posted

Hi Lady Di46

Yes! I find an automatic connection to my painful pf and food/CHEMICALS. Dairy, soy, certain sugars...all nitrates and preservatives are off limits. I'm on a very restricted low fodmap diet. I take generic benedryll tabs, dyciclomine caps, corydalis herb caps and. Nifedipne ointment on that private area.

• Edited

Hello

Thank you for sharing your experience. I've suffered with pf for 40 years. I'm 54. I suspect severe food intolerance/allergies are the culprit. Most distressing to me was constant pf following my colonoscopy. The pain is Awful...worse than natural childbirth. My doctors are of little help with both pf and my increasing allergies. I struggle to enjoy life.

Through it all, I'm still blessed and very thankful for the simple things.

Lovemuffin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.