Professional hippie

Posted , 20 users are following.

I'm a 50 year Physiotherapist who had a right total hip replacement 6 days ago. I'd kept my symptoms under control for 10 years before succumbing to the knife. So far there have been things I would have expected and others that have taken me by surprise like the degree and impact of the swelling. I'm happy to document my progress and my problem solving as I go. Would this be of any value to this community?

12 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Derek and welcome to the hippies forum -

I would imagine that would be really helpful to all so please do - plus your input from the physio therapy side would be invaluable . You did well hanging on in there for so long prior to surgery - hope your post op progress is not too onerous xxx

• Posted

Yes please! I am interested to hear what exercises you are doing.
  • Posted

That would be great. I was lucky and had very insignificant swelling but I have one more to go. Would love to hear from a professional perspective.

Thanks,

Fiona

• Posted

Yes please!

i am an OT and having a total hip replacement on 20th June. Would really love to hear about your experience. Particularly pre and post op exercises. 

X

• Posted

Best of luck

Last week 26 june 2016 my THR op done if you need any help will surley help you with your question.

in Regards to preparation, anaesthesia operation theatre atmosphere after surgery during surgery.

• Posted

Hi Derek.

I'm into my 5th wk post op. I have swollen ankle and foot. I'd like to follow what you have to say. May just be a little hint or tip to help all us hippies.

Brenda

• Posted

Hi Derek,

I think it would be great to hear how you are doing (physio or not). I'm 46, had mine done 4 weeks ago and had been having symptoms since I was 30.

I'm still bothered with the swelling, have my gel packs on as we speak. The first two weeks are the worst (as you will know).

Take care,

Fiona

• Posted

Yes, yes, yes, I also plan to do a diary of my experience in June.

thx

• Posted

Absolutely Derek!! Please keep us posted. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Erika
  • Posted

Fabulous Derek - this would be great! Thank you.

Given all the practice variations we discuss (surgical approach, activity restrictions, medications recommended/prescribed and PT recommendations), it would be useful to give us more info about you. Where do you live/ practice? What surgical approach was used in your operation?

Many thanks for doing this - love the opportunity to learn fom your experience.

L

• Posted

Just a thought .. have you had a chance at Graham's (aka Rocketman) website?

He charted his progress, common issues and summarized a lot of advice from a forum discussions as he journeyed thru 2 THRS and a revision. It might give you ideas on presenting your experience.

Cheers and thanks a gin for doing this.

L

• Posted

Thanks Derek, that would be helpful to document your progress & hope you have a speedy recovery
  • Posted

Totally thats what this forum is for and to hear it from a PT view would be great..

Hope your doing well l was lucky not to have much swelling in any of my 2 hip replacements.

Thanks

Laura

• Posted

hi Derek Im interested. My physiotherypist was rather a disapointment. My doctor was a little frustrated because I asked him about a bunch of various dislocation positions.

Im very intrested in your idea of positional precautions. I have a good sense of my body and balance in movement. It is always good to get new aand fresh Ideas about training and rehab.

was wondering about doing d=some light Plyometric excersizes, like Jump rope ???

• Posted

Hi Derek, 

Of course - we share our personal stories and experiences here - we rant and rave and find suppo and understanding - we come in all stages and ages - and that is why this forum is so great - 

so, again, warm welcome and let us know how you are doing otherwise , okay?

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.