Progress at 3mths / Partial Knee Replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

At this point, I thought I would be further along. I was told by my doc that I didn't need PT any longer (a month ago), but still do PT on my own. I had an awesome therapist at PT who taught me well. Thank God I have a very patient and caring hubbie who listens to me saying, "oh my gosh, my knee is so tight, my knee hurts, I am going to try to go down the steps - can you come help me..." I can honestly say that since my surgery, I have never been pain free. My knee always hurts, I can't walk properly, yet and can't go down the stairs - only one step at a time...down with the bad, down with the bad. I am frightened to try to step down with both legs...have tried but it hurts! Is there anyone else feeling the same after 3 months?rolleyes

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Debbie. I am four months abd struggle the same up and down stairs . I dont have pain but my knee is not strong . It does bend well thanks to my exercise bikeso I just keep giving it a go . I had a few falls so still using my stick . Had another xray which said all was well and seeing consultant for mri result nxt wee. I hurt my back in one of my falls so that has hampered my progress. I seem to walk awkwardly and wonder if I will ever be right again .. I do daily strengthening and use my exercise bike and also a gym ball and wobble board for balance stuff.

Seems a long journey .hopefully will get there in the

End

• Posted

Hi Deb, I am only one month in and I know its early days, but like you I am suffering extreme tightness pain and discomfort, never free from one thing or another. I hope you soon make progress x

• Posted

3 months is one of the bench Mark times for this surgery. You should have been advised one month is not a long enough time to declare independence from physical therapy and probably still should be going. Right now the leg is starting to t a me hold of the memory phase and th e l a :'( of mobility a 62nd strdngt are still being learned. I would ask to get back into therapy as one of the problems with tkr is that things you think you have mastered or have worked through will suddenly jump up and.bite you again. May not last for as long but will scare the check out of you. Just keep up the excercise and add a few new ones that pertain to strengthening.

• Posted

Boy, auto correct made a mess of that....should have read....starting to mend and the memory phase of mobility and strength are still be learned. The brain is starting to t try and take hold of all that has been interrupted by surgery and trauma.
    • Posted

Hey there... I had a lot more theraphy than 1 month... I had in-home PT 3 days after my surgery 3 x a week for a few weeks, then went to outpatient for over a month (2 mhts of PT). My Dr told me at my last visit (about a mth ago) that I could do PT on my own. I have a full-time job and have been back to work a mth after my surgery  --  so I am getting exercise. Have a doc appt tomorrow for ck-up and will tell him all of my concerns... thanks for your advice.

• Posted

I'm really surprised you could even think of going to work after just a month. Most people think 6 weeks is like running a sprint when you should be running at the pace of a marathon. Doesn't make any d ifference if its a desk job or a laborers the body just has to have the time to mend. Hope the Dr's listen to you and get you some relief
  • Posted

Think of your knee as you would a new born.  Sooner or later you have to make the decision to start your little darling on a bottle, then there is the solids state and the list goes on.  That is your knee.  The month treatment is the bottle stage. You have been shown the ropes and now the rest is up to you. If you cannot walk DOWN the stairs; come down backwards (one at a time for a couple of times, them use both legs) you are still exercising muscles, but in a different sequence.  Use the stairs as your gym, going up; exaggerate each step up, when you get to the point that "this is easy", try 2 steps at a time. Of course you are going to be in pain, but you need to take your meds and then work through it (At this stage your meds are vital, do not be a martyr and let the pain rule you,  it is the pain that stops you progressing). Please take something stronger than paracetamol. A lot of pain will be caused by the battering your leg went through + the added bonus of your nerves groing back.  All these signals are being sent to your brain, that is not the area a pain relief tablet works.  The opiate drugs work on the pain receptors in your brain. It is these little monsters that keep you in agony. Suffocate them. Then get on with the job of getting your knee working, be creative. Even when you are resting with your family, work those muscles; I am assuming you sit with your leg out straight; so mentally pull your toes towards your chin, heel down towards the tv and hold.  You can do this in bed, anywhere where you have a flat surface to stretch. Keep doing this as much as possible. At meal times or other times when you are sitting upright; work on the bend, heel on the ground just slide you foot backwards, when it twinges, stop and just keep it there. When the pain subsides (it will because you will relax) drag it back further.  If you cannot do this use the other leg to gently push.  Take it as slow as you want, but do it contantly. You can do this anywhere.  Nobody is going to look at you strangely, because you are taking baby steps. The one thing you must understand is your knee will not come apart, it will buckle only because your muscles are weak.  The bad news is it will take a long time, there will be times when you think "Oh wow, this is great", then other days you just want to sit on that bottom step and cry, go ahead and cry, all those bad after effects of your operation with keep looking over the parapet. You will be depressed.  The good news, It WILL get better, the pain WILL ease, your knee WILL  bend and you WILL be able to walk better.  Think of every day as an improvement on the day before.  Pat yourself on the back when you have achieved a certain goal.  This whole process might take up to 18 months to 2 years, before your are well and truly recovered, some people after 6 months. Don't let anyone tell you you should be further along the recovery road than you are at any given moment. Your husband sounds like a rock, he will always be there in case you stumble. If you need a little brevity; paly your favourite music, hang onto his shoulders and dance. All you are doing is using those muscles, if it is uncomfortable lean on his shoulders more, unless you both ave had enough, and ost importantly...... LAUGH.  Laughing is something we forget to do, but we need those happy endorphins rattling around in our head.  Good luck.  I wish you well
    • Posted

Hi you talk a lot of sense . I have found the process very difficult especially after falling . I did think i would have been back at work by now but there is no chance . Today you have given me fresh hope . Thankyou for that
    • Posted

Sweetie, I only go by what has happened to me, if I can pass some of what I have discovered, then it is worthwhile. Shortly after my 2nd replacement, I went down stairs, in the dark as you do, didn't see the (black) sleeping on the step; we have 13 steps!!!!!, twisted knees and a black eye but, the joint stayed in place. Cutting a broken branch on a tree; reached to far and fell, knee still stood the test, have fallen off my bike in the middle of nowhere more times than I care to remember, still got the joints. We can panic as much as we like, but at the end of it all our knees are still in correct position, so don't hold back, you may hurt ourselves, but don't worry about the replacement, don't be a prisoner to that lump of metal.  Sure you are going to experience pain now and then (I am in constant pain) but you learn to over-ride.  It is early days for you yet, so don't get despondent, treat each day as a triumph.  AND PLAY THAT MUSIC xx 
    • Posted

You are awesome - THANK YOU for your advice. I don't do pain meds as I work full time...hopefully my doc appt tomorrow will bring good news!

• Posted

Thank you, that is very sweet of you, but praise is not necessary, (yes it is!!!) .  Just remember you are not alone (does feel like it though doesn't it).  If you are in pain, please speak with your doctor, if they cannot help you (if you are in the UK) as to be put on the pain management course.  They guys there are there for one thing and one thing only; Pain.  The main consultant who will do the initial assessment will be your point of contact all along the way, they will be the ones who will talk to you about the pain you are in, how you cope with pain, any stresses that affect you, how you feel about certain drugs and certainly your worries about taking them.They will then guide your doctor on what to prescribe to you.  If they don't agree with you, then your doctor will try you on something else until there is something you are happy with.  The PM team in the meantime consists of an inital 6 week course of group exercises; you are not obliged to go, then there is the individual treatments that you can have.  It might be time consuming, but it is worth going to.  Work is great as it takes your mind of things, but don't over do it, even if you have to sneak off to the loo every now and then to sit on the loo with your leg up.  As for the up coming festivities, don't be a slave in the kitchen, make sure you get lots of help x
  • Posted

Hi. I'm 9 weeks PKR and live in the Uk.  We are given exercises by Physio in hospital and left to get on with them, have a check up at 2 weeks and 6 weeks.  My bend is good and i can go up and down stairs normally but have to use the bannister.  I don't use my stick or crutches but am very aware of weak muscle tone and sometimes lose my balance. Somedays I have very tight leg and aches but other days ok.  Worse time is at night so take co codamol but come the morning my knee is so stiff the pain to move it is really bad.

We all heal at different rates.  Take the advise of others on the site and slowly things will improve.  I was asked to return to work but declined stating that I would return at 12 weeks just to give me that extra time.

Wishing you well with your recovery.

• Posted

You seem to be doing so much better than me . I also live in the uk . I have been having all sorts of physio and tried everything i know . I am in the nursing profession and there is no way i would be able to do a shift .
    • Posted

For pain, have you tried Lidocaine 5% patches, and or support tights.  The patches do work, but if you are allergic to plasters beware ( I break out in itchy blisters,but sometimes they are so worth the inconvenience).  Support tights give you the feeling of extra support and keep any swelling down to an acceptable level.  I came back to work after 3 weeks the second time round; only because I have a sitting down job, the tiredness was an issue, so early bed came before the urge to do housework and on those days where I really don't want to put my foot on the floor, used crocs, they are so ugly they are a fashion item, but feels like walking on air.  If you can get lots of mini breaks (or paces as my pain management guru calls them), then you should be able to go back to work.  To begin with, you will be ultra alert to any potential knock, any danger that is knee high.  After a while you will learn to relax and stop thinking about your knee.  Then you have to make yourself think about it in order to work those muscles.  You will come to a happy medium.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.