Progress expectations

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am now 5weeks post thr and wonder what others experience is at this stage. I still get tired and go to bed for a couple of hours in the afternoon mobility coming on but still use both crutches when out and about. Not sleeping that well and am awake most nights for an hour or two. Pain is much less mostly from within the wound plus soar heels.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Anna, you sound like your right on track. I am 40 had posterior right side, and I own landscape company. I was trying to hard right out of the gate and had huge swelling issues. Now at week 16. I am putting on work boots and walking in mud and snow and driving a plow truck for 10 hours the other day. But I still have thi pain, groin pain, and incision pain that comes and goes. I was told I have fibrosis from swelling and that for a while my muscles will stretch and tear as I push the limits. Ice is still a great friend at bed time. I am probably not a good example. I was told by several drs, that younger guys like me that are workaholics tend to have rough recoveries from pushing to hard. I was hoping to not take naproxen anymore, but it seems if I do, I feel great. Good luck, keep up the exercises, ice and elevate! Watch out for slippery ice! I had some close calls the last 2 weeks.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I do know realise that I am not as bad as I thought. I wonder how much the previous year of intense pain and decreasing mobility impact on recovery rates......
    • Posted

Anna that is EXACTLY what I have just voiced in a reply to someone on another post. My pain level before the op was off the scale. I was totally unable to walk. I had to buy a mobility scooter SIX MONTHS prior to my op and I couldn’t even walk across my living room unless I pushed a rollator. 

Even pre-op, our nerves must have been badly damaged surely with all that level of pain for so long? Just because the femur head was sawn off and a new hip put in doesn’t therefore get rid of all the pre-op damage done?

• Posted

Dear Sarah

I'm sure you are right and let's not forget the impact on you that the stress will have caused.

Something else to consider is that over the months or years of pain many people will have been walking very badly which will have caused their back to have become twisted.

Usually this can be sorted out by a few visits to a good chiropractor.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

As long as you notice progress and the pain gets better,, sounds like your healing ,, it was after 6 weeks that I was feeling myself again 2 years ago with my left hip surgery,, this right hip ,, I’m at a lost with ,, not knowing what is normal and what is not is really scary.
  • Posted

Just take things steady and continue to rest as much as you need. I'm 10 and a half weeks now and was feeling very fit so drove 2 hours each way to visit relatives on Sunday then did the same again visiting different relatives yesterday. It was completely exhausting. I slept from 11 pm to 6 am when the cats got me up to feed them, then went back to bed and slept until 11.30 am. I've had a good rest today and feel a lot better but it is major surgery and recovery takes time. I will have another day off from the gym tomorrow I think as I have been so exhausted and get back to my usual routine on Thursday. The lesson I'm taking from this is even though I feel strong and am managing to do Pilates, swimming and gym most days I need to pace myself. One of those journeys would propbably have been manageable but I was pushing it to do it two days on the trot. Live and learn! 

Cheers

Ann

• Posted

I understand now about pacing yourself. This op really takes the strength out of you quickly if you don’t. The other day I walked from my home to town, did a bit of shopping, already felt shattered. Then walked very slowly and a bit painfully to the supermarket and that was all I could do. I couldn’t walk anymore. My legs were totally giving out. I’m pleased I went out and did what I did but my goodness I used to walk miles every day like that before my problems started! 
  • Posted

These comments have been so encouraging. Had my THR 4 weeks ago and, after a lot of initial swelling/ discomfort/sore heels I was doing really well. The last few days I feel I've almost gone backwards. Lots more discomfort in thigh and knee and sleeping less.

I suppose I had heard all my friends claiming the pain disappears after the op......

As far as help is concerned, I have people dropping in but contacted a local homecare agency to change the dreaded stockings regularly.

Getting out alone at this time of year is a challenge but even a short totter down the garden is better than nothing!!

• Posted

Hi Diane, this morning another two acquaintances of mine told me they had no after op pain either. It’s very disheartening to be told that when you yourself have had loads of pain. I still need co codamol and I don’t sleep all that well either but when I look back to 4 weeks ago I am definitely in less pain and more mobile smile
    • Posted

Dear Sarah

I can fully understand your disappointment but look on the bright side if you can.....there is light at the end of the tunnel for you too. Just keep on doing all the right stuff!

Best wishes, Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.